Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU1 has less RAM that MCU2 and later. What you're seeing are side effects of memory management (the MCU trying to juggle the data that needs to be kept in memory).

Reducing the number of songs may help.
Nope. The system just won't play high-res audio files, no matter how many or how few.

And the sad fact is that the system used to work until a software "update" broke this feature.

I can confirm that FLAC files played fine in our (now sold) MCU1, 2015 S 70D.
Yes, but it would be nice if they played now. And sadly, they don't - at least, not on either of the two Model S cars we own.

I've been chasing this up with Tesla for over a year. I contacted them again yesterday - they dug out a massive pile of correspondence and expressed surprise that the issue hadn't been resolved. The last they'd heard was when I'd sent them audio samples, back in December last year. No response to that. I was then promised a callback today - which didn't happen - and advised to separately contact Customer Service, which I did, and which seems to be its usual black hole of pointlessness.

Needless to say, this is one part of the reason that I've just placed a deposit for a Lucid Air Grand Touring (for when it deigns to show up in right-hand drive form here in England).

It'll be sad to go from being a Tesla 'Signature' customer to another brand - but I certainly won't miss the Tesla customer experience...

Reactions: avesraggiana
It seems like Tesla has changed the sampling rates that they support. For example 96kHz FLAC files won't play while 44kHz FLAC files will.
I thought 96 kHz files played before but now I am pretty sure they didn't since at least Nov of 2019. I went out to test this today on my back dated 2020 FW and discovered the two 96 kHz albums in my collection were not on my USB disk. I put them on and tried both and got loading errors. So now I know why I never put them on the Tesla USB drive.

It is so frustrating to see this happen over and over, their software QA is woeful, but unfortunately I think it is probably a reflection of the culture within rather than the individual skills of the programmers.
It would be good to know if newer cars - those not affected by the eMMC recall, in particular - have this problem.

My suspicion is that this could be related to the eMMC recall, as a way of limiting bandwidth (and hence "wear" of the chip). However, past experience has shown that such is the pace of software development that things can and do get broken. This may well be simple carelessness from someone assuming that we're all using low-fi streaming services…

What's annoying, however, is the collective corporate amnesia - and a distinct whiff of indifference That's not a healthy sign.

It would be good to know if newer cars - those not affected by the eMMC recall, in particular - have this problem.

My suspicion is that this could be related to the eMMC recall, as a way of limiting bandwidth (and hence "wear" of the chip). However, past experience has shown that such is the pace of software development that things can and do get broken. This may well be simple carelessness from someone assuming that we're all using low-fi streaming services…

What's annoying, however, is the collective corporate amnesia - and a distinct whiff of indifference That's not a healthy sign.
If they all thought that we only wanted Low-Fi sources, why would they have developed a client for Tidal?
I think that is the answer. The entertainment resources are working on clients such Spotify and Tidal (Apple Music next)?

If they all thought that we only wanted Low-Fi sources, why would they have developed a client for Tidal?
I think that is the answer. The entertainment resources are working on clients such Spotify and Tidal (Apple Music next)?
I sure hope that the old Apple Music rumor comes true eventually, but honestly, I'd prefer all of the bug fixes and UI enhancements (documented in this thread) that could easily make the existing Tesla music player so much better!

Reactions: JimS
My Model S finally pulled down 2021.40.

The Artwork is back for the mai0n display and dash display, but the dash display only updates once. It continues to show the image for the first song played. The dash image only changes if I reboot the MCU (but then it gets stuckl again).

There's also something wonky with shuffle. Roughly 90% of what it plays are from artists that start with "A" or "B", with the occasional other artist thrown in.

Supposedly the MCU2 upgrade is trashing premium audio systems.

Anyone gotten 44.30.6 yet and seen what damage or perhaps fixes they applied to USB Audio and cover art?
I got 2021.44.30.2 a couple of days ago, so 44.30.6 might be different:

-Album art displays properly, but still smaller than it used to be, (years ago!).

-Only one USB drive remains active after being selected. (An annoyance, but I can live with it.)

-Resumption of tracks still spotty. One of these 3 "solutions" is still required:
1. Opening and closing driver's side door, sometimes repeatedly, prior to getting in the car. (Thanks @finman100 #2,201 , and @Sparrow #2,202)
2. Pre-heating or pre-cooling the car using the Tesla App. (Thanks @Kevy Baby #519)
3. Running around neighborhood naked. (Thanks @Gauss Guzzler #523)