Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer Controlled Shocks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Computer controlled shock absorber for pothole mitigation in Ford Fusion V6

It seems it just keeps getting better and better.
What with all the tire & wheel damages this should help.
At present time, the cost of replacing the tire and wheel has become a insurance nightmare.

It would be a very nice addition to the air suspension. It doesn't say in the Ford press release, but I'm assuming the stiffness adjustment happens through an electromagnetically controlled variation?

I had those in my last car for less than half the price of the Model S. It didn't have fancy sensors to find potholes, but it didn't need them either. The dampers would simply relax with high-speed movements, which effectively meant neither you or the wheel/tire experiences crashing in and out of a pothole.

I had those in my last car for less than half the price of the Model S. It didn't have fancy sensors to find potholes, but it didn't need them either. The dampers would simply relax with high-speed movements, which effectively meant neither you or the wheel/tire experiences crashing in and out of a pothole.

I thought the trick was for them to tighten up?

I thought the trick was for them to tighten up?
No, that would transmit the force into the car versus absorbing it. A standard damper increases damping force exponentially with shaft speed, a fancier digressive damper only increases it linearly after some threshold. A computer controlled shock can have multiple curves, ones for handling of smooth road and ones for rough roads.

No, that would transmit the force into the car versus absorbing it. A standard damper increases damping force exponentially with shaft speed, a fancier digressive damper only increases it linearly after some threshold. A computer controlled shock can have multiple curves, ones for handling of smooth road and ones for rough roads.

I see. The article referenced in the OP talked about a damper sensing the appearance of a pothole and reacting:

“Our new pothole mitigation technology works by actually detecting potholes and ‘catching’ the car’s wheel before it has a chance to drop all the way into the pothole.”
Read more at Computer controlled shock absorber for pothole mitigation in Ford Fusion V6

I see. The article referenced in the OP talked about a damper sensing the appearance of a pothole and reacting:

“Our new pothole mitigation technology works by actually detecting potholes and ‘catching’ the car’s wheel before it has a chance to drop all the way into the pothole.”
Read more at Computer controlled shock absorber for pothole mitigation in Ford Fusion V6

That's what ford is claiming for their damper program, but let's see if it actually gets delivered without having dangerous handling characteristics as the tire leaves the asphalt over bumpy roads. The BMW system works pretty well, while still having a contact patch.

That's what ford is claiming for their damper program, but let's see if it actually gets delivered without having dangerous handling characteristics as the tire leaves the asphalt over bumpy roads. The BMW system works pretty well, while still having a contact patch.

Yeah. The way you're describing; the damper softening up to absorb the shock seems more intuitive.