TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Computer Controlled Shocks

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by BozieBeMe2, May 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BozieBeMe2

BozieBeMe2 Member

• Informative x 1
  2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

It would be a very nice addition to the air suspension. It doesn't say in the Ford press release, but I'm assuming the stiffness adjustment happens through an electromagnetically controlled variation?

3. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

I had those in my last car for less than half the price of the Model S. It didn't have fancy sensors to find potholes, but it didn't need them either. The dampers would simply relax with high-speed movements, which effectively meant neither you or the wheel/tire experiences crashing in and out of a pothole.

4. Johan

I thought the trick was for them to tighten up?

5. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

No, that would transmit the force into the car versus absorbing it. A standard damper increases damping force exponentially with shaft speed, a fancier digressive damper only increases it linearly after some threshold. A computer controlled shock can have multiple curves, ones for handling of smooth road and ones for rough roads.

6. Johan

I see. The article referenced in the OP talked about a damper sensing the appearance of a pothole and reacting:

“Our new pothole mitigation technology works by actually detecting potholes and ‘catching’ the car’s wheel before it has a chance to drop all the way into the pothole.”
    Read more at Computer controlled shock absorber for pothole mitigation in Ford Fusion V6

7. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

That's what ford is claiming for their damper program, but let's see if it actually gets delivered without having dangerous handling characteristics as the tire leaves the asphalt over bumpy roads. The BMW system works pretty well, while still having a contact patch.

8. Johan

Yeah. The way you're describing; the damper softening up to absorb the shock seems more intuitive.