Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer Crashed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sdorn

Director of Awesome
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2016
Georgia
This morning I went out to my car to go to work as usual. I opened the trunk with the fob and put my bag in, then unlocked the car with the fob to unplug it (I approach at the rear so the car doesn't auto-unlock for me). After unplugging, I initiated summon from the fob as I do every morning, but nothing happened. The rear tail lights flashed once to indicate it accepted the lock command, but then nothing. It would never enter summon.

So then I take out the Remote S app and try to initiate summon that way. I get an error that said "Summon failed. Please disconnect charge cable." I had already done that, so no help there. I went to the passenger door and opened it (the handles auto presented as normal). The door opened, but the screens in the car remained blank.

I go to the driver's side and squeeze into the seat. There isn't much room on that side of my garage which is why I use summon. I get in, and when I hit the brakes I get a message on the screen behind the steering wheel that said something like "Systems powering up, touch brake when this message clears." The center screen remained blank.

I sat there for 3 or 4 minutes and nothing changed. The message never cleared and the center screen never came on. Finally I started trying things. I tapped the brake again (I had already tapped it once when I first got in and that seems to be what started the "Systems powering on" message) and the "Car Off" message disappeared and the "P R N D" screen showed up. Still no center screen though. I held down the two scroll wheels for about 20 seconds and nothing happened.

Finally after probably 5 or 6 minutes total from when I first got in the car, the "T" logo on the center screen came on. From there it took another minute or so for the center screen to fully boot, the a/c to come on, etc., and then it seemed the car was fully functional and ready to go.

As background, I had driven the car about 160 miles on Sunday and then parked it Sunday afternoon and hadn't been back in it until this morning. It had been plugged in and had charged as scheduled on Sunday night to 90% (286 miles of range). When I got in this morning, vampire drain had gotten it all the way down to 271 miles of range which usually would have triggered another charge session, but because the computer had crashed it had never charged.

Anyone else have something like this happen? Do you know the cause? I have "always on" checked and "energy saver" unchecked so the app can always connect quickly and have never seen the car do anything like this before in the six months+ that I've had it.

Had this happen to me on 17.17.17 as well. Pretty much exactly as you described but I didn't try summoning. There are a few threads about this on TMC if you search for "when this message clears". I ended up rebooting everything with the top buttons and scroll wheels then all was good, but as you said, it took several minutes before everything was back up. Have only seen it happen once but apparently others have had this more often. -- Dan

"Systems powering up, touch brake when this message clears." After more than 3 years of ownership I got the same message last week. I believe it was just after an update. The center screen was dark too. I waited a couple of minutes, touched the brake a couple of times and the message finally cleared. Noticed after driving a couple of miles I had no aural indication when using the turn signals and also had no audio from Slacker. Did a dual scroll wheel reboot while driving and everything returned to normal.

This morning I went out to my car to go to work as usual. I opened the trunk with the fob and put my bag in, then unlocked the car with the fob to unplug it (I approach at the rear so the car doesn't auto-unlock for me). After unplugging, I initiated summon from the fob as I do every morning, but nothing happened.

If you opened the trunk and unplugged the car, it was unlocked. Neither are possible if it is still locked.

If you opened the trunk and unplugged the car, it was unlocked. Neither are possible if it is still locked.

I opened the trunk with the fob and that worked. I then unlocked the car with the fob in order to unplug it. That worked also. Then I closed the trunk with the fob and that worked. Then I tried to initiate summon from the fob (which requires locking the car as you initiate summon by holding down the lock button on the fob). Summon did not work, but it did lock the car back. I actually tried three times to activate summon from the fob if I remember correctly, then once with the Remote S app.

When I approached the passenger door after unsuccessfully trying to initiate summon from the fob and the app, the doors automatically unlocked and the handles presented themselves as normal.

Happened to me after I upgraded from a 60D to a 75D. It also happened once randomly 2 weeks ago and resolved itself after 5 minutes. I wasn't in a rush so I figured I'd let both the IC and MCU complete the reset. I was a bit concerned as the car seems dead and the reboot takes a lot longer than a normal reboot to show the T logos. I think its some kind of bug in 17.17.17 (which I also have).

Happened to me too. A few weeks ago had to wait while it rebooted on its own. Would have been able to drive, but couldn't switch from my exit profile and waited to see if it would fix itself before manually changing seat/wheel positions. Was parked in the sun for about an hour and the car was a little hot. Thought that caused it. Thinking differently now.

Had a few times when shifting from reverse to drive and the rear camera was still displayed. Had to toggle directions to get it to correct itself. Also had one hatch failing to close via the fob, and had to manually close it. Worked fine after that.

Also had a few fob summon out of and into the garage failures. Was able to use the app once or twice. Thought it was my MS only till now...

This morning I went out to my car to go to work as usual. I opened the trunk with the fob and put my bag in, then unlocked the car with the fob to unplug it (I approach at the rear so the car doesn't auto-unlock for me). After unplugging, I initiated summon from the fob as I do every morning, but nothing happened. The rear tail lights flashed once to indicate it accepted the lock command, but then nothing. It would never enter summon.

So then I take out the Remote S app and try to initiate summon that way. I get an error that said "Summon failed. Please disconnect charge cable." I had already done that, so no help there. I went to the passenger door and opened it (the handles auto presented as normal). The door opened, but the screens in the car remained blank.

I go to the driver's side and squeeze into the seat. There isn't much room on that side of my garage which is why I use summon. I get in, and when I hit the brakes I get a message on the screen behind the steering wheel that said something like "Systems powering up, touch brake when this message clears." The center screen remained blank.

I sat there for 3 or 4 minutes and nothing changed. The message never cleared and the center screen never came on. Finally I started trying things. I tapped the brake again (I had already tapped it once when I first got in and that seems to be what started the "Systems powering on" message) and the "Car Off" message disappeared and the "P R N D" screen showed up. Still no center screen though. I held down the two scroll wheels for about 20 seconds and nothing happened.

Finally after probably 5 or 6 minutes total from when I first got in the car, the "T" logo on the center screen came on. From there it took another minute or so for the center screen to fully boot, the a/c to come on, etc., and then it seemed the car was fully functional and ready to go.

As background, I had driven the car about 160 miles on Sunday and then parked it Sunday afternoon and hadn't been back in it until this morning. It had been plugged in and had charged as scheduled on Sunday night to 90% (286 miles of range). When I got in this morning, vampire drain had gotten it all the way down to 271 miles of range which usually would have triggered another charge session, but because the computer had crashed it had never charged.

Anyone else have something like this happen? Do you know the cause? I have "always on" checked and "energy saver" unchecked so the app can always connect quickly and have never seen the car do anything like this before in the six months+ that I've had it.

Happened to me too this weekend. Touchscreen out and Iphone app would not connect. I'll try rebooting the touchscreen tonight.