Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer died 2021 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Returned to my parked 2021 Model Y LR and the computer screen was not only dark but none of the accessories such as AC worked. Attempted several hard reboots with no luck. Was drivable at very slow speeds especially when accelerating from a stop. 91 outside, drove it to a Service Center with no AC where it’s been for the past 3 days. They indicate May have to replace computer. Waiting to hear further. 5500 miles on the vehicle.

our new model y, 2 weeks old, 800 miles had a similar issue. the gps marker was stuck where it was last parked for a few hours. screen reset didn't work. car turn off didn't work. took it to service. they kept it for a day. they said they had to disconnect the 12v battery and reset the software. they found pending software updates. got the car back next day.

happened again. this time they said they'll have to replace the computer. been on day 3 (2nd visit). hope you got yours fix. hoping to get an update today

Are they providing you with a loaner car? Or reimburse car rental? As I am reading these issues, that is my main concern. I am not planning on keeping my old car so if I take my to-be-delivered MY to the service center, I would want a loaner.

That would be amazing to know...it would validate whether there is a path to upgrade, or if the wiring harness/connectors are different.
Got my computer replaced today after issues with the screen staying stuck off repeatedly. Sales rep I chatted with while waiting said that it would not be the new Ryzen chip as that requires a new wiring harness as well as the lithium ion 12V battery which my August 2021 build does not have.

Got my computer replaced today after issues with the screen staying stuck off repeatedly. Sales rep I chatted with while waiting said that it would not be the new Ryzen chip as that requires a new wiring harness as well as the lithium ion 12V battery which my August 2021 build does not have.
Good news for you for getting it replaced, bad news for us thinking that there would be an easy upgrade path for the faster chip. Did they say if it was just a simple wire harness for the computer or the whole car?

Waaaa I’m so sad haha i thought I would’ve been able to upgrade.

Womp womp

My 2022 model Y was delivered on Jan 27 with Ryzen chip. Put on 329 miles then the screen also keep on freezing, stuck on Tesla logo screen - no climate control, music, etc. It has been at the Kansas City service center since Feb 3rd. They are waiting for the computer to ship. They're not sure what's causing the delay but I imagine supply chain or backorder.

For owners who had their computer replaced, when did this happen and how long did it take for the repair? Also where are you located? Thanks!

New model y 2000 miles, had it 4 months. At least once a week I return to the car and find the black screen. Hard restart does not always work so I just drive with no interface and no accessories including turn signals. The interface eventually reboots itself as I drive. Very annoying. I called service and they told me to hard reboot once a week. Seems excessive when I don’t drive it every day. My next step is to leave it at the service center.