Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer Died While Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my MYLR for almost three months. Yesterday while driving all of a sudden my screen froze and was not responsive; navigation stopped, the car still said I was driving 35 MPH when I was stopped at a stop light; the car images weren't changing, etc. When I first started my drive everything was fine, but then the streaming started skipping until it just went out. About a second later is when everything just froze. Thankfully I was in a commercial area and pulled into a parking lot. When doing so I noticed that my turn signals would not work at all. I pulled into the parking lot and the car just kind of died (although oddly the AC starting blasting??). About 30-60 seconds later the computer rebooted and everything worked fine. I got home which was about 5 minutes away but am a little nervous to drive again. This kind of freaked me out that this happened while actually driving, and the safety issue of the turn signals not working. Anyone have this issue? Should I be concerned and take it in to be looked at, or was this just a freak computer thing? Thanks for your thoughts!

I’d say software issue. I have a 2022 MYP (early 12/2021 build). I just got an update to 2022.4.5.17 yesterday and immediately. started getting issues similar to yours but less drastic. My audio playback from streaming source will stop and start quickly coinciding with infotainment screen flickering on and off, tends to happen when I am viewing car’s cameras to aid reverse driving or parking. Sometimes infotainment self reboots. Never happened before this update. I’m thinking g a software bug which hopefully tesla is detecting because I see no way to report bugs reliably.

It happens. After all, Tesla's are computers on wheels. As you stated, the car was drivable as designed even when the computer hosed. It freaked me out the first time but I managed to reboot the computer. It's probably happened to me 2-3 times in the past year. My kids actually knows to tell me to reboot when the streaming freezes. Most scary part is you can't hear your signaling during the reboot.

@rebruns808 - I believe your turn signals *were* still working, you just couldn't hear them because the sound is played through the speakers (and the infotainment system was frozen).

Holding both scroll wheel buttons down for 4 seconds reboots that computer, and you can do this safely while driving... however you do temporarily lose access to some important features (odometer, nav, etc)

The quality of more recent software updates seems to be going in the wrong direction. Hopefully they get this sorted out soon.

I recommend testing out rebooting the infotainment system while driving on some slow neighborhood streets to become comfortable with it.

Reactions: DesertEagle
@rebruns808 - I believe your turn signals *were* still working, you just couldn't hear them because the sound is played through the speakers (and the infotainment system was frozen).

Holding both scroll wheel buttons down for 4 seconds reboots that computer, and you can do this safely while driving... however you do temporarily lose access to some important features (odometer, nav, etc)

The quality of more recent software updates seems to be going in the wrong direction. Hopefully they get this sorted out soon.

I recommend testing out rebooting the infotainment system while driving on some slow neighborhood streets to become comfortable with it.
Oh, good point about the turn signals! Didn't even occur to me in my moment of over-reactive panic. Will definitely try the scrolling reboot! Thanks! :)

It happens. After all, Tesla's are computers on wheels. As you stated, the car was drivable as designed even when the computer hosed. It freaked me out the first time but I managed to reboot the computer. It's probably happened to me 2-3 times in the past year. My kids actually knows to tell me to reboot when the streaming freezes. Most scary part is you can't hear your signaling during the reboot.
Good (not good) to know this happens! I will be more prepared next time.

Reactions: Ken_Y
It’s been happening a lot since the last update, and actually once prior to it! I got Model Y late 2022, and at first, when I get into the car, the computer is on, and a few seconds later it dies. Turn signals or hazard lights don’t respond. The first time I restarted the computer manually, then several times it restarted itself within a minute or two. However, today it didn’t. I decided not to force restart it and see what happens. I drove for about 20 minutes and nothing happened. The car drives fine, but I don’t even know my speed! Of course, the app can’t connect to the car either and shows old location and stats. When I arrived to my destination and parked, the car didn’t lock itself once I left. I’ve just force restarted it and it’s ok now, but it’s definitely annoying and has to be fixed!!

I got my M3 in December 2020 and it's been fairly stable up until the past few months. I'm not experiencing MCU crashes but the app freezes and various things in the UI seem to behave erratically:
  • charge port won't close from UI
  • music flickers on and off when using blinkers or changing gear to reverse
  • putting the car in park sometimes keeps the UI car in "drive" view, absent the drunk/trunk/charge port buttons