Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer issues MCU? Center Display Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the same message. Although I have not had any of the issues with the MCU. The only thing out of the ordinary is the dash screen is black when getting in the can and i have to wait for it to wake up. I scheduled a service appointment and hopefully they can fix it. I just had the MCU replaced in January of this year.

Tesla called and I got my car back
They had to replace the whole MCU
The units connectivity board bolts were stripped when the car was installed so they could not get it out to replace
So they had to replace the whole unit
The drivers screen is still not in, so I have to come back at a later date to replace it
Now to reprogram everything

This just happened to me today (2020.24.6.11 P85D on original MCU1), screen was black and unresponsive when I got in the car, so I assumed my MCU had died but it actually came back after a hard reboot, the error message however, stayed on. Timing is also perfect since there are active evacuation warnings in the area due to wildfires in north California

Derp. My 2013 S85 (2020.46.6.11) just showed "please wait while vehicle systems power on" as well as "center display unavailable". The MCU was black but I did a hard restart and it came right back and fuctions beautifully. Must be a software glitch since it's hitting all of us.

unable to get Slacker back and operational post MCU

Called Tesla and they tried to reboot and use Power Off to reset, but i still cant log in

anybody know the secret to getting slacker back?
I was told i have to make an appointment to bring car back to service center

Noticed last night that my heater was continuously running and internal temperature was 109. I tried to turn it off via the app and nothing changed. Went into car and saw I had the "Center display unavailable" message and turned the AC/heat controls off.. Nothing changed. I did both types of reboots and nothing changed. Woke up this morning to the same thing. I drove the car around the block, set the AC to LO and rebooted again. No change. I tried to schedule an appointment via the app but the earliest I can get in is Sept 8. Short of driving to the Service Center and explaining why it's unacceptable to wait two weeks for this to be addressed (2017 so still under warranty), does anyone know how I can actually communicate with someone from Service?

• Informative
Reactions: markn455
Noticed last night that my heater was continuously running and internal temperature was 109. I tried to turn it off via the app and nothing changed. Went into car and saw I had the "Center display unavailable" message and turned the AC/heat controls off.. Nothing changed. I did both types of reboots and nothing changed. Woke up this morning to the same thing. I drove the car around the block, set the AC to LO and rebooted again. No change. I tried to schedule an appointment via the app but the earliest I can get in is Sept 8. Short of driving to the Service Center and explaining why it's unacceptable to wait two weeks for this to be addressed (2017 so still under warranty), does anyone know how I can actually communicate with someone from Service?

this warrants driving in to the service center and dropping off the car

You cant wait for this to be addressed

Had this issue pop up yesterday.
Same as stated above, couldn't access the car trough the app.
When I entered the car it stated it was still booting, and center display unavailable. The center screen was unresponsive, and I couldn't drive.

After a reset of the center display (both scroll wheels) it worked and I could drive. The message is still there.

I didn't do a software update. And I'm running V10.2(2020.24.6.11 3f9850467abb)

Autopilot and app work fine for me, it's only annoying that the message won't disappear.

Called tesla again yesterday and stayed on phone 30 minutes
Getting closer to resolving Slacker Issue post MCU Replacement
This time I was told that they had to retrieve my credentials
Each car has a unique ID which lives in the Cache of the MCU
Tesla said to keep my car on WIFI with at least two bars and within the next week i will get an over the air update to restore this to the MCU
I will get a email confirming the car update
So thats better than my last call

Today my original car charge cable version 1 that comes with the car will not connect to car and charge
It had been acting up, less that 40 amps, or not charging at all
It now says no power unable to charge go to the next charger
So I am using the model three charge cable which charges at 32 amps
Wish I knew last night when it started at 12:00 am
Going in to work later so I can get a couple more miles
Then to service center before they close to address this cable issue
Simi Valley Supercharger is not online yet so I hope to charge some in Westlake when done
I assume the charge cable is covered under Tesla warranty?
Will find out
More to come

Had this issue pop up yesterday.
Same as stated above, couldn't access the car trough the app.
When I entered the car it stated it was still booting, and center display unavailable. The center screen was unresponsive, and I couldn't drive.

After a reset of the center display (both scroll wheels) it worked and I could drive. The message is still there.

I didn't do a software update. And I'm running V10.2(2020.24.6.11 3f9850467abb)

Autopilot and app work fine for me, it's only annoying that the message won't disappear.

Today the screen was back to normal. Didn't have an update, and didn't reset anything.