Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer issues MCU? Center Display Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just posting to confirm same symptoms. Traveling from TX to CA this week my MCU started rebooting every other SC stop. One time the screen stayed black so did a MCU reboot. The Center Display not available message came up and has since not gone away. Full reboots and overnight sleep has not cleared the message.

Happened to me today. Got 2020.32.3 update yesterday on my 2016 P90D S. Drove once and parked. When I returned an hour later MCU was frozen and driver display had “Center display unavailable” and couldn't drive. MCU reset took longer than normal and everything worked afterwards, but “Center display unavailable” message remains. Smells like a bug.

it really takes along time for the new MCU to really work in the car
I have noticed little things like AC performance and regenerative braking
pre condition car and AC is at level 1..now its higher
poor regen and now more robust regen
performance of screen...I have had two reboots shortly after getting new mcu in car...now none
performance of bluetooth is better...phone connectivity and commands
They replaced the connectivity board with the new remanufactured mcu and replaced the rear camera
not sure if this is standard
still no slacker update
But happy the car is coming back and settling down.... it was real rough for there for awhile
I might open the sunroof today...I have not done this since covid...wow

Reactions: Iceh8r
Mine too today...froze during nav. Didnt notice untill after I missed my turn. Rebooted itself after 20 min. of frozen and black while driving. All good now except message on driver panel. See what that says in the morning. Just did the street sign fsd update a few days ago.

Dont know where to begin

I started having issues with constant rebooting, including while driving

now I have uncontrolled AC and Songs. cant lower volume

Driver screen bubbling, and error message now on display

Center Display Unavailable

I scheduled service and they set this up as a Mobile Service?

What do I have going on here?

CPO warranty till 2021 and 99,000 miles

currently at 80k

Will both units be replaced? Driver and 17 inch unit?

I also have been getting less miles per charge

Thanks
View attachment 571358

Hello All, is there a master post or count showing how many of us are having issues with the MCU? If not, I may start one. I have a 2016 S with MCU1 having intermittent issues. Had one service center schedule to replace it but didn't receive the part after nearly a month and transferred it to another SC where I could get a loaner. The second SC promptly cancelled my MCU replacement order, reset and said here you go. They said they will NOT replace the MCU until it totally dies, though I have warranty for another two years with them. Screen developed bubbles and they just replaced glass. Claiming that there are no issues with MCU, though now navigation is slow to respond, screen has blacked out completely...while driving and premium connectivity stops working at times. This is not to mention the completely unusable Web browser. They told me because the car was so OLD (??), don't expect good use of the browser on most sites.

Love the car but this MCU issue needs to be a recall at some point. My friend's MCU just died while she was on the road and not under warranty. $1500 gone on a car that's less than 5 years old.

Hello,

This is user "brokensendhelp" but on my new user.

Tried to open the app this morning after leaving it parked for a solid 18 hours, to preheat my car, but the app wouldn't connect. I went to my bathroom window and double clicked the key in order to manually wake the car, but I could still not reach it via the app. I went out to the car and everything was black, the IC eventually booted and came with a message "Please wait while vehicle systems power up" followed with "Center Display unavailable - driving and user settings could not be restored". Bluetooth unavailable, temperature not showing, odometer not showing and I could not change the climate controls. I was able to drive to work, but left the car parked with the messages still there. When I got to the office I was able to reach the car via the app and everything seems to work fine there. Will go check on the car to see if it is alive.

Update: After leaving the car parked a bit and reaching it via the app, the MCU works flawlessly again. One info message in the IC is still there, but I expect it to go away with time like it did last time. Yes, this might be signs that the MCU is going bad.

Update
after months of contacting Tesla because my Slacker credentials were not re-installed after new MCU was installed, I got an update which did not act like any before
Car just started an update
Saw this in yellow above
Checked the slacker and I was in
no more error message to log in
It can be done, but low priority
Car now restored to correct functionality
MCU issues for the most part are gone
One issue of going into a deep sleep while supercharging but other than that its been great
New Iphone 12 Pro Max works great and the AP works even better now with increased speed and response from car
Another win

20201124_120909.jpg

Did a factory reset today because of some GPS issues and got the Center Display Unavailable message when it booted back up. I had the eMMC upgraded about a year ago. I did some reboots and powered down but message still appears. Both screens are working fine. Hopefully it goes away like a few people here experienced.

Did a factory reset today because of some GPS issues and got the Center Display Unavailable message when it booted back up. I had the eMMC upgraded about a year ago. I did some reboots and powered down but message still appears. Both screens are working fine. Hopefully it goes away like a few people here experienced.

And if it doesn't you should still be on the recall list, and should be able to have that upgraded eMMC upgraded again. You did get the emails from Tesla regarding the recall, yes?

Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

Just as an update, the message went away the following day. Everything seems fine now.

I am having similar issues in my 2013 Tesla Model S. The eMMC was replaced a month ago. MCU1.
Today, for the first time, I saw this happen and the message is stuck in the Instrument Cluster Display.
The message says "Center Display Unavailable. Driving and User Settings could not be restored"
It has been around 24 hours and the message still remains there. Everything works flawlessly though.

Any Idea what I should do?