Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer Longevity For Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm posting this in the Model Y forum since I've got one on order due in a few months but:

What are your feelings about the longevity of the infotainment computer compared to the rest of the components of the car? People talk about the batteries being the part that will determine the overall longevity of Teslas, but wouldn't the chips and the hard drive in the computer become obsolete sooner? Sure, Tesla updates the software frequently, but at some point, like on a smart phone, the computers will get slow and eventually unusable.

Just something I'm wondering about.

There is no hard drive in the Tesla infotainment system, just memory storage chips. Tesla just refreshed the Infotainment computer in the Tesla Model Y, switching from an Intel Atom processor to the AMD Ryzen processor (must faster). The Model Y you receive will have the latest computing hardware.

Processors, cameras, sensors and displays will continue to improve at an accelerated pace. This is the nature of all modern electronics including the electronics in automobiles. At one time you could buy a new vehicle once a decade and not much would have changed. Now that timeline is compressed by at least half. In about 4 or 5 years you will want a new vehicle because it will come with all of the latest technology.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
MCU1 has not aged well, to say the least. The flash wear issue that led to MCU1 recall shouldn't happen nearly so easily on MCU2, but like any piece or complex electronics, there's a lot of components that could start breaking from age or use that would make the computer unusable. Some would be easier to repair than others of course.

Thankfully Tesla built quite a lot of MCU2 cars so there will probably be a solid knowledge base and repair industry if any MCU2 hardware failures become common while the cars are still of value on the road.

Last edited: