Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Tesla Model X issues: frozen camera, brake fault, high voltage system fault, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Do I have the "computer overheating issue" in my refreshed Tesla Model X?​

You can learn this by trying to reproduce the issue. You will need both:
  1. Charge the car to 100% and take a long trip until you use almost all the charge.
  2. When stopped, launch the Camera app and check if it's promptly updating the image. The issue may occur before proceeding to the next step.
  3. Use a supercharger with pre-conditioning and charge the car up to 100%. Then watch for any issues or errors for the next hour.
Disclaimer: By testing your car for the issue, you're acting at your own risk and you take full responsibility for your actions.

What happens when the "computer overheating issue" occurs?

The issue causes a huge range of other errors and problems. The list below is not exhaustive:
  • Outdated feed from the backup camera (showing the past and jumping to the present)
  • Jumping feed from the backup camera (showing the present and jumping to the past) - reproduced on 2022.12.3.3.
  • No signal from the side cameras.
  • False input from physical controls. Reproduced multiple times for the left wheel button on the yoke (scroll up and press) and the honk button on the yoke.
  • The false signal from proximity sensors.
  • The false signal from open door sensors.
  • Not working outside temperature indicator.
  • Spontaneous activation of autonomous parking (when disabled in the settings).
  • Spontaneous activation of the service mode. The vehicle shows: "Do not drive. Improper use may cause damage or injury."
  • Brake fault.
  • Parking brake fault.
  • Steering assist fault.
  • High-voltage system fault.
  • Powertrain requires service.
  • Air suspension requires service.
  • Variety of charging faults.
  • Not responding touchscreen in some apps - reproduced on 2022.12.3.3.
  • Jumping image in 3D games (showing the present and jumping to the past) - reproduced on 2022.12.3.3.
  • False and missing navigation instructions while using Navigate on Autopilot.
  • Not responding computer, even on the restart command - reproduced on 2022.12.3.3.
  • Spontaneous computer restart - reproduced on 2022.12.3.3.
  • Spontaneous error beeps of different sounds.
  • False accident maneuver (the connection with the "computer overheating issue" isn't confirmed).

Is this a safety issue?​

Tesla claimed in a safety recall that the "computer overheating issue" increases the risk of a collision. The "computer overheating issue" may lead to various safety issues. Among them are:
  • The outdated feed from the backup camera may lead to an accident when another vehicle was shown at a distance, but it was actually right behind the vehicle.
  • False signals from proximity sensors may cause a false accident avoidance maneuver toward leaving the drivable surface at a high speed.
  • False input from physical controls may potentially lead to an uncontrollable vehicle.
  • Spontaneous activation of autonomous parking may potentially lead to an uncontrollable vehicle.
If your car was damaged because of this issue or if you feel that your safety was compromised, please report the problem to Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA.

How can I cool down the computer?​

The following steps usually prevent the reoccurrence of the "computer overheating issue" for the next 1-3 hours:
  1. Clear most errors: Hold two wheel buttons until the computer restarts.
  2. Turn off "Safety" - "Turn on Sentry Mode Automatically".
  3. Turn off the Sentry Mode.
  4. Leave the car and lock it.
  5. Unload the Tesla app from the memory of the phone.
  6. Wait for at least 1 hour staying at a distance from the car.
  7. Clear all errors: Close all doors. Choose "Service" - "Power Off". Do not press any buttons or open the doors for at least 2 minutes.
Note: Some errors may persist after resetting the computer by holding two wheel buttons even though the power cycle clears them.

How can I fix the "computer overheating issue"?​

There are at least three separate issues related to "computer overheating":
Issue #1. Overheating after pre-conditioning and supercharging. Tesla claimed in a safety recall that they fixed this in software update 2022.12.3.3 (they did not).
Issue #2. Overheating in the cases that are not mentioned in the official safety recall:
  • after long trips without charging;
  • when parked on the sun with the Sentry mode activated;
  • after charging at a low-voltage charger.
Issue #3. A design flaw that produces false faults, false sensor signals and false control input when the computer is throttled due to overheating.

Tesla claims that a software update solves issue #1 (it does not). The computer replacement solves most faults caused by issues #1 and #2. But issue #3 will likely remain unfixed until the next generation of the computer (or will never be fixed at all).

Last edited:

Do I have the "computer overheating issue" in my refreshed Tesla Model X?​

You can learn this by trying to reproduce the issue (please see the disclaimers below). You will need both:
  1. Charge the car to 100% and take a long trip until you use almost all the charge.
  2. When stopped, launch the Camera app and check if it's promptly updating the image. Or use a supercharger and charge the car up to 100%. Then watch for any issues or errors for the next hour.
Disclaimer: The issue may occur while you're still driving. A severe accident leading to severe injuries or death may occur. By testing your car for the issue, you're acting at your own risk and you take full responsibility for your actions.

Disclaimer: It may not be safe to drive after the issue occurs. A severe accident leading to severe injuries or death may occur. Please call Roadside Assistance to evacuate the car to a Tesla Service or proceed at your own risk after cooling down the computer. The issue may reoccur at any time.

What happens when the "computer overheating issue" occurs?

The issue causes a huge range of other errors and problems. The list below is not exhaustive:
  • False input from physical controls (a severe accident leading to severe injuries or death may occur)
  • Frozen camera (extreme risk of an accident when relying on the outdated feed from the camera)
  • Brake fault (can't drive)
  • High voltage system fault (can't charge)
  • Park brake fault (parking brake functions degraded)
  • Turned off computer not responding on the restart command (access inside the car may be impossible)
  • Steering assist reduced (steering may require increased or inconsistent effort)
  • Black side cameras (can't use Autopilot, driver-assistance and active-safety features)
  • Dyno mode enabled (can't drive)
  • Powertrain requires service (speed and power may be limited)
  • Air suspension requires service (suspension may not be level)
  • False closed-door indicator when the door is open (check the doors visually)
  • Not working outside temperature indicator (severe issues usually follow promptly)
  • Uncontrolled software behavior, e.g. staring playback, increasing the volume to 100%, uncontrolled windows and alerts
  • False and missing navigation instructions while using Navigate on Autopilot
  • Variety of charging errors
  • Spontaneous error beeps of different sounds
  • Sudden computer restarts

How can I cool down the computer?​

The following information is unofficial and the result is not guaranteed:
  1. Clear errors: Close all doors. Choose "Service" - "Power Off". Do not press any buttons or open the doors for at least 2 minutes.
  2. Turn off "Safety" - "Turn on Sentry Mode Automatically".
  3. Turn off the Sentry Mode.
  4. Leave the car and lock it.
  5. Unload the Tesla app from the memory of the phone.
  6. Wait for at least 1 hour staying at a distance from the car.
  7. Clear errors: Close all doors. Choose "Service" - "Power Off". Do not press any buttons or open the doors for at least 2 minutes.
It's not recommended to hold two wheel buttons for clearing errors because some errors persist in that case even though the power cycle clears them.

Disclaimer: It may not be safe to drive after the issue occurs. A severe accident leading to severe injuries or death may occur. Please call Roadside Assistance to evacuate the car to a Tesla Service or proceed at your own risk after cooling down the computer. The issue may reoccur at any time.

What is causing the "computer overheating issue"?

Tesla currently doesn't know what is causing the issue or how to fix it. But the technician at the Tesla Service mentioned that such symptoms were likely caused by computer overheating. Therefore, we call it the "computer overheating issue". But the actual cause of the problem remains unknown.

What Tesla is doing to address the "computer overheating issue"?​

Based on my personal experience with Tesla Service:
  • Tesla claimed that the issue was resolved in software update 2022.8.3. But that turned out to be false.
  • The technician at the Tesla Service performed an air purge on the cooling system. But this didn't resolve the problem.
  • The technician at the Tesla Service promised to replace the computer if the issue re-occurred. But later he said that it would be replaced only "in case the replacement is needed".
  • The Tesla Service scheduled the second appointment for diagnosis 41 days after the problem was discovered and 31 days after claiming that the problem was resolved at the first appointment.
  • Currently, there is no known solution to the "computer overheating issue". Tesla isn't even sure that the actual cause of the problem is computer overheating.

What can I do if I have the "computer overheating issue"?​

We suggest considering the following options. Please let us know what you think.
  • Due to the severity of the problem and high risks to the drivers, passengers and other people, we request NHTSA to issue an immediate recall of all refreshed Tesla Model X until the actual cause of the issue is identified and a proven fix is offered.
  • Due to the severity of the problem and high risks to the drivers, passengers and other people, we request all states to terminate the registration of all registered Tesla Model X until the actual cause of the issue is identified and a proven fix is offered.
  • For owners who financed or leased the car through Tesla Financing Services, we request to pause due payments until the actual cause of the issue is identified and a proven fix is offered.
  • For all owners of the refreshed Model X, we request Tesla to offer a return window. Those who decide to return the car must be able to purchase another car of any model using prices that were active at the moment of the original order of the refreshed Model X. Their order must be placed at the begging of the waiting line by Tesla.
  • Owners with the confirmed issue can take individual action in court against Tesla with the suggested compensation of $1,000,000 for every driver and passenger who used the car on long trips for endangering their lives.
  • Owners with the confirmed issue can take class action in court against Tesla with the suggested compensation fund of $1,000,000,000 for endangering the lives of the drivers and passengers who used the car on long trips. If you know a lawyer with previous experience winning class actions, please share their contacts.
May be I have not understood what is being asked here. Not sure if this is an actual problem you faced or you want some answers to a hypothetical situation?

I have this issue. Tesla monitored my logs over the weekend while I was on my road trip and indicated the processor was overheating. I logged a bug report every time I encountered the issue. They plan to replace my computer during my service visit in 2 weeks. We’ll see what they actually do.

I’m not sold on the overheating theory. When my car gets in this state it is easily cleared with a reboot (scroll wheels + brake). No cooling of processor is required for me anyway. It immediately is fully functional again, until I put in reverse again and bring up backup camera.

This could easily be a batch of faulty processors.

Again, we’ll see what Tesla does during service visit.

I had computer overheating issues on my 3P and it was related to the colour customizer.. fixed recently. For a while I couldn’t set my car to default colour or it would cause lag/errors. They tried to fix it remotely, and had me unplug/re-plug usb drive. Not sure what the ultimate fix was, just stopped happening one day after they offered to log a bug.

Good luck tracking the issue down, in my case I was going crazy for a week, couldn’t imagine weeks.

No software glitch should ever cause overheating of the hardware. I bet your problem is still not fixed - it's just no longer triggered by the way how you use the car.
I was able to trigger it on demand with software config changes (literally changing color), and record videos for tesla tech showing instant lag on MCU..

Makes me very weary of new features…

Nope, only short trips (and still waiting on my X). Just wanted to share that I’ve seen other issues with overheating after the new UI changes/features.
Thank you for sharing that! I've never used a custom color, and I'm on 2022.12.1 now. Please consider taking a long trip to check if you still have the problem and it's just no longer triggered.

Last edited: