Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer too slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2012 Model S is becoming increasingly annoying to use.

The web browser generally will no longer load anything at all.
About half the time the voice command functionality fails to hear anything I say.
Songs on USB sticks (!) or Slacker often get "loading error"s.

Sometimes rebooting the screen helps a little bit.
Last night I couldn't even do that as none of the steering wheel buttons did anything at all.

At my last service appointment I mentioned this progressive sluggishness to the service rep. He cleared my trip counters. I've tried that again recently, and it doesn't help.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks,
Derek

that's what mine was doing before it quit connecting to wifi, at that point it was toast and they ended up replacing the MCU. with the new one, voice commands have worked perfectly so far, but have only used it twice. i got it back from annual service two days ago.
the symptoms you are describing are exactly what i was seeing until my wifi gave up.

• Helpful
Reactions: derekt75
Try deleting your navigation history. You’ll need to do this one entry at a time.
That might have worked.
I spent my commute home yesterday swiping to remove item after item after item. It's pretty quick to remove any one item, but I had around 1000 items to remove.
After doing that, the web browser was still not working. I rebooted the main screen, and heh, things are working. This morning I got in the car, and things are still working! I'll give it another couple days before declaring victory, but so far life is much better than it was before you posted your message.

Thanks,
Derek

At my last service appointment I mentioned this progressive sluggishness to the service rep. He cleared my trip counters. ...

an aside - anybody know how much or what "clearing the trip counters" really does?

I mean does it really free up a lot of memory or CPU resources, etc? I wouldn't have expected the trip counters memory/CPU usage to matter much. Though I have heard of other people having service doing this in attempt to fix various things.

or is it just simply some sort of last-ditch resort to fixing random problems, kinda like a voodoo incantation or waving a rubber chicken?

my car was just in service and in response to my report of the slacker glitching issue, they reset my Trip B odometer (annoying they did that), which I had my total mileage and kWh stats since delivery. Of course it didn't solve the problem

The browser on my 2015 MS has slowed down with every FW update. It appears to be completely broken now. Enter a URL and nothing happens. I complained to the service manager and asked about the cost to fix or upgrade. He said there is no upgrade and nobody else has this issue. Bring it in for a day and let us look at it so I did. They said the LTE was working fine and it probably needed the trip counters reset. He said the car data is stored and associated with the mileage where it occurred. Clearing it will free up all that memory. I didn't believe him then and still don't. I asked him to show me the service bulletin that explain this but he couldn't/wouldn't. I considered trading in on a new model S but my car is otherwise perfect so I don't want to pay $50k (with trade-in) and give up my grandfathered super charger and cellular connections. BTW, I also have the problem with voice commands not working sometimes.

The browser on my 2015 MS has slowed down with every FW update. It appears to be completely broken now. Enter a URL and nothing happens. I complained to the service manager and asked about the cost to fix or upgrade. He said there is no upgrade and nobody else has this issue. Bring it in for a day and let us look at it so I did. They said the LTE was working fine and it probably needed the trip counters reset. He said the car data is stored and associated with the mileage where it occurred. Clearing it will free up all that memory. I didn't believe him then and still don't. I asked him to show me the service bulletin that explain this but he couldn't/wouldn't. I considered trading in on a new model S but my car is otherwise perfect so I don't want to pay $50k (with trade-in) and give up my grandfathered super charger and cellular connections. BTW, I also have the problem with voice commands not working sometimes.
Have you thought about trying a complete Factory Reset now that you've lost the trips data. Make sure the seat is in your saved position and add the profile back before you do anything. Home Link is a pain if you have an older garage opener but all this might be worth it if it fixes the issues.