Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer upgrades & USB power limits

RunDeep

Jun 10, 2016
Silicon Valley
I'm getting both computer upgrades soon and would like to add the Tesla USB hardware (Pi 0). I have a 2017 S. According to TeslaTap the capacity of the S USB ports is < 2W and 6.2W for 3/Y. Anybody know if the upgraded S computer also upgrades the USB port power capacity?

RunDeep

Jun 10, 2016
Silicon Valley
Also the self driving computer, but I just saw something in an old copy of the service manuals I have that says the console USB ports plug directly into the back of the touch screen so they most likely do go to the infotainment computer.

Did you find a datasheet for the infotainment computer or were you just looking at the description of the upgrade?

Last edited:

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
The front USB ports are each over 2A. The Tesla fast wireless charger requires at least 2 A. The total Amps available are 12. I added 2 2.4A charger ports in the "cigarette" lighter plug, and power the Tesla wireless charger from that, leaving both Tesla USB ports in the front data capable. Here is how: Moving Wireless Phone Charger USB Port

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC