TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

[Concept] Model X image without nose-cone and A pillar cross-beam

Discussion in 'Model X' started by AnxietyRanger, Jun 17, 2015.

1. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

There are alleged leaksters and speculation suggesting removal or changes to the Model X nose cone, as well as a new source/troll/unknown claiming a body colored nose-cone for both Model X and future Model S facelift. On the other hand, it seems almost a given that the cross-beam between A pillars (present on the 2012-2013 Model X prototypes) is gone on the 2015 Model X mules. There is also speculation this might entail electrochromic windows and/or gorilla glass.

Add to that, there have of course been the plentiful Model X mules to gander at, so I decided to take a look at what Model X might look like with a body colored nose-cone as well as cross-beamless front window extending from bonnet, without break all the way to the middle of the car. I also added a few other lighter shaded elements to this recent mule sighting to give a bit more contrast.

model_x_concept.jpg

Please don't get hung up on my admittedly bad photoshopmanship, but what do you think - anything to these speculations? :) Special thanks to Jersey Girl for the base photo and grant10k for the chrome extends.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#2 ecarfan, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    I have seen no evidence, in the thread you linked to or in any per thread, that the Model X roof area at the top of the windshield is any different from the Model S. Cars need a strong structural support in that area to protect the occupants during rollover accidents. Elon obviously wants the X to get a 5 star safety rating in every category and subcategory, and he stated that very clearly at the shareholders meeting.
    I will not be buying an X, but I am really looking forward to the reveal, whenever that occurs, to lay to rest some of the wild speculation about its design and features.

Will there be some surprises? Of course, Elon has been very clear about that. We shall see soon enough.

3. AnxietyRanger

ecarfan: The missing cross-beam has been witnessed, is visible in the photos of the mules and in the known leaks as well. Whether or not it will make it into production is of course still speculative. It is my opinion, though, that out of these two issues illustrated here, the nose-cone is the far more speculative one than the missing cross-beam.

Here is the concept in a few colors - this is of course absolutely speculative (as are the colors), just illustrating the idea that has been discussed:

model_x_concept_colors.jpg

4. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Thanks, AR, for the mock-ups. I personally would welcome this look, though I don't know if I buy into the speculation. Aesthetically, it gives it more of a sedan look in my opinion. Can't wait to see the real nose.

5. AnxietyRanger

One thing this mock-up fails to take into consideration, just like my previous mock-up did, are the possible vents/vent strip underneath the nosecone. Model S of course has vents in the lower part of the nosecone and went through prototype iterations of the same.

The vents and possibly an older nosecone proto or camo feature can be seen on the white mule shots here: Model X mules - is the nose cone gone?

Notice how much the nosecone on the mules has changed since those white camoed mules, quite a bit. Of course it might all still be just throw-us-off camo, but it looks much less so in the latest black mules than on the white ones early this year.

6. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Where are the hub-caps? :rolleyes:

7. AnxietyRanger

The wheels came from the Palo Alto Model X YouTube. No caps on the mules yet. :)

8. 1208

1208 Active Member

Looks good AR. Especially the red 1.:smile:

9. AnxietyRanger

Thanks for the positive feedback. :)

I think adding color to mule sightings might bring something new to the discussion, so I'll consider that in the future as well. Color helps appreciate the lines better, while also helping to hide the effects of camo a little - makes checking out the general shape just that bit easier.

10. AnxietyRanger

Here is the general area edited in, where we've seen vents - and where a close look at the Jersey Girl sighting might still betray vents underneath black camo wrap.

model_x_concept_color_grille.jpg

11. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

You all forgot to paint the rear spoiler :smile:.....(the bus stop building looks like a spoiler)

12. AnxietyRanger

So that is what the extending Model X spoiler looks like extended! Nice catch! ;)

13. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Nice work AR. That nose looks much better than a Model-S. I hope Tesla is thinking along these same lines.

14. AnxietyRanger

I added a little bit of three-dimensionality to the front (logo and grille) to make the mock-up portray the concept better. Also adjusted blacks slightly.

model_x_concept_color_grille_2.jpg

15. AnxietyRanger

Here is the mock-up parked at a Supercharger:

model_x_concept_color_grille_3.jpg

Thanks BHUtopia for the base image.

16. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Nice work AR, but did you leave the side mirrors on purpose? If you can add a guy with a checkered shirt, I think this could pass as a new mule spotting. :wink:

17. AnxietyRanger

I missed them originally and then let them be. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Happy now? :)

model_x_concept_color_grille_4.jpg

18. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

How about the new Ocean Blue color.

19. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

I really like the red on this one. Very appropriate for a Tesla!

20. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Good one AR - you made me laugh out loud. I think my family must think I'm losing it, with the long wait and all. :redface:

There aren't very many good pictures with good hub caps, the best I found was this one (in case you wanted to add them) :cool: :
    Tesla-Model-X-IAB-rendering.jpg