Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concern of battery leaking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello forum users! As a model 3 reservation holder, I understand that Tesla battery has more advanced technology than the AA batteries. However given how frequent we see AA batteries leaking after 1 year of usage, is this even a concern for Tesla users? Has anyone heard of Tesla batteries leaking and will the smart car raise a flag when it does happen?

Thanks!

An alkaline AA battery in a remote control is so different than the Li-ion cells in a Tesla, I'm not even sure where to start....

It feels like someone who's only used a axe asking about the handle breaking on an 8-axis CNC mill.

In any case, no, there won't be any corrosives leaking from the batteries.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
An alkaline AA battery in a remote control is so different than the Li-ion cells in a Tesla, I'm not even sure where to start....

It feels like someone who's only used a axe asking about the handle breaking on an 8-axis CNC mill.

In any case, no, there won't be any corrosives leaking from the batteries.

Thanks! It sounds very assuring! Your analogy is great except that I also had to google what a CNC mill is.

To continue beating the dead horse though, I've seen Youtube videos where people took apart the Tesla battery pack with a jackhammer and did see liquid coming out of the battery cells. But I guess these are extreme situations that won't count as "leaking", correct?

Have a great weekend!

• Disagree
To continue beating the dead horse though, I've seen Youtube videos where people took apart the Tesla battery pack with a jackhammer and did see liquid coming out of the battery cells. But I guess these are extreme situations that won't count as "leaking", correct?
The Mythbusters used to blow up cars, but that didn't mean the cars were necessarily prone to blowing up on their own. ;)

Thanks! It sounds very assuring! Your analogy is great except that I also had to google what a CNC mill is.

Have a great weekend!

I've not seen such a video, but even in that case, whatever liquid you saw was much more likely to be from the coolant loop for the pack than from inside of the cells.

Inside a Li-ion cell:
DSC_5480.jpg
inside a AA battery:
1409840291972_wps_4_Dead_battery_JPG.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus

Check out this video. At 5:05 there was battery acid coming out.
Nope, no acid in that video. Lithium ion batteries don't have an acid electrolyte.They are organic solvents with neutral pH.

Also that video shows a module that has been removed from the much stronger metal container that holds all of the battery modules. While that container can also be breached (for example in a high-speed collision), it would likely be impervious to that guy's arrows. It would also probably take him a long time to break through it with his ax. Under normal circumstances there is no chance of external leakage.

• Helpful
We're making fun of OP because it's a question born from ignorance or misinformation.
But in truth, it's not a funny subject to me.
I find the question a sad example of concerns in the wrong place.

Big-oil couldn't care less about your safety or health.
Tesla did a massive engineering effort to ensure the safety of the car and the battery system that powers it up.

OP drives a gas car that has a 10x or higher chance of killing him vs a Tesla.
Big Oil and GM conspired to keep lead in gasoline that resulted in poisoning our environment. The episode of Cosmos series really opened my eyes to this.

Again, while it's all fun and games, and I found many of the replies hilarious, I think OP needs to understand just how deep the misinformation goes with the gas car monopoly.