Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concern with Model X VIN outdated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my VIN and should pick up my Model X (Plaid, Blue, FSD, 22 inch wheels) in the next week or so. The concern I have is that my VIN is a 40xxx, while I see others taking delivery with VINs as high as 42xxx. Does this mean that I have an older build-date car that was rejected by others? Will it have the swivel screen and any other running update? Does Tesla rectify all issues from rejected models before offering them up again?

Who do I contact at Tesla to answer these questions prior to delivery? If I reject this due to the vintage build-date, where does one get reinserted back into the queue. I'd hate to be placed at the back of the line.

IMHO, I would not consider a VIN difference of <2000 cars to be "vintage". But do check to see if it was previously damaged before delivery and/or rejected, and WHY it was rejected. And ask about the swivel screen if that's important to you.

But I don't think claiming the VIN as "vintage" is an acceptable reason (by itself) to reject a car. Someone could have ordered it and rejected it simply because they changed their mind.

I just got my VIN and should pick up my Model X (Plaid, Blue, FSD, 22 inch wheels) in the next week or so. The concern I have is that my VIN is a 40xxx, while I see others taking delivery with VINs as high as 42xxx. Does this mean that I have an older build-date car that was rejected by others? Will it have the swivel screen and any other running update? Does Tesla rectify all issues from rejected models before offering them up again?

Who do I contact at Tesla to answer these questions prior to delivery? If I reject this due to the vintage build-date, where does one get reinserted back into the queue. I'd hate to be placed at the back of the line.
No one at Tesla is Likely to tell you much about the vehicle.

These days, it’s a take it or leave it situation. If you don’t accept delivery, someone right behind you will.

And don’t count on them fixing any issues post-delivery. Make sure you get the vehicle you want, in the condition you want, at pickup.

This will be our 3rd pickup and we have not had to refuse any deliveries. Our service center has addressed all deficiencies in a timely manner on the last two and I have no doubt they will for this one. I also questioned my whether I will have the swivel screen and the national Tesla customer service line provided a direct line/extension to my local delivery location. I called and they reviewed the vin and confirmed the previous order placed cancelled their order before it was delivered so it was rerouted to me. They also confirmed it will have the swivel screen and a few other details I inquired about. Reach out to your delivery center, and call the national # if you need the extension

I was able to talk to an SA and I found that my build date is April 19th. According to posts on the forum, it looks like my build date was 3 days prior to the swivel going in. Just missed it!

The reason for the relatively low VIN is apparently cars are built and then sometimes have to wait for parts to arrive to complete the build but no, this car was not a reject that was recycled.

I was able to talk to an SA and I found that my build date is April 19th. According to posts on the forum, it looks like my build date was 3 days prior to the swivel going in. Just missed it!

The reason for the relatively low VIN is apparently cars are built and then sometimes have to wait for parts to arrive to complete the build but no, this car was not a reject that was recycled.
Where in FL are you picking up? What was your order date?

MY VIN is 39xxx and picking up in FLL this wknd supposedly. All I was able to get from CS is that the car is in the area today-- could be in a storage lot or dealership. Couldn't answer question about swivel and she inquired for me. I didn't ask about if it was rejected but will when I go to pick up weather permitting. A different rep told me my car was built 4 weeks ago, so Im hopeful but based on the VIN think it won't have it. Seems like 40xxx do.

I just got my Model X (Plaid, White, FSD 22 inch wheels) assigned with a VIN of 39xxx. This seems like a pretty old VIN? Also, how does delivery rejection work? When they deliver it, I inspect it and can just reject it if there are some issues? Will they just re-assign another VIN?

Im picking mine up tomorrow 339XXX. Im wondering if it sat in California waiting for a part, and now they received that part in bunches so they are pumping out vehicles before the end of June. Paperwork shows my car has 15 miles on it.

MY VIN is 39xxx and picking up in FLL this wknd supposedly. All I was able to get from CS is that the car is in the area today-- could be in a storage lot or dealership. Couldn't answer question about swivel and she inquired for me. I didn't ask about if it was rejected but will when I go to pick up weather permitting. A different rep told me my car was built 4 weeks ago, so Im hopeful but based on the VIN think it won't have it. Seems like 40xxx do.
Did you pick up your car? I swung by the dealership just now and they had a white plaid and MSM plaid in the lot waiting for owners to pick up. I'm still on schedule for this Saturday.