Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerned about build quality of Model S 2022 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently driving a 2019 Model S 100D with 26000 miles and FSD - delivered brand new in March 2019. No problems with the car and drives great. I have been reading the most current delivery posts and it appears that there are a few problems that new owners are experiencing with their 2022. This poses the question: r out of all the recent Model S deliveries what is the percent of deliveries that have had all the parts included and have not experienced any malfunctions in the EV. I am supposed to pick up a 2022 LR in a couple of weeks and after reading some of the delivery short comings I am beginning to wonder whether I should proceed with the swap. Any body know what the percentage is between non-eventful deliveries and eventful ones.

Currently driving a 2019 Model S 100D with 26000 miles and FSD - delivered brand new in March 2019. No problems with the car and drives great. I have been reading the most current delivery posts and it appears that there are a few problems that new owners are experiencing with their 2022. This poses the question: r out of all the recent Model S deliveries what is the percent of deliveries that have had all the parts included and have not experienced any malfunctions in the EV. I am supposed to pick up a 2022 LR in a couple of weeks and after reading some of the delivery short comings I am beginning to wonder whether I should proceed with the swap. Any body know what the percentage is between non-eventful deliveries and eventful ones.
Build quality on the refresh MS/X is several steps above the outgoing models.

As far as parts not being delivered, you may be missing the rear parcel shelf and floor cover but Tesla will provide it eventually.

“Malfunctions” are a roll of the dice but certainly not what I would consider common.

I think you see a lot of build quality threads in the new because the media has nothing else to talk about when it comes to the Tesla. Who wants a American made, solid, technically advanced car? Apparently our government thinks that is GM🤣🤣🤣

I think you see a lot of build quality threads in the new because the media has nothing else to talk about when it comes to the Tesla. Who wants a American made, solid, technically advanced car? Apparently our government thinks that is GM🤣🤣🤣
I wouldn’t go that far. Tesla’s build quality, when compared to German and Japanese cars, is still absolute garbage. Especially at the price point.

The only advantages Tesla has is their software and supercharger network.

This is my first foray into Tesla with my MSLR purchase. I previously came from strictly owning BMWs. Overall, I am happy with the purchase although question the value of it at $100k. The tech and range is top notch, but I did have an eventful issue as you might call it. 1.5 weeks into ownership and less than 80miles the car started to tilt and became lopsided. Essentially the left side was jacked up to the max and right side dropped. After 1 week in service with no update, SC finally diagnosed the issue and resolved it quickly. I'm still waiting on final invoice but it has something to do with the suspension lines out of wack at delivery and couldn't calibrate correct heights accurately. Other than that, the car is great with usual suspects of missing rear shelves, very slight gaps (not really noticeable), glue residue, etc.

I wouldn’t go that far. Tesla’s build quality, when compared to German and Japanese cars, is still absolute garbage. Especially at the price point.

The only advantages Tesla has is their software and supercharger network.
I have been hit and miss with Japanese and German cars. Japanese cars: 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe and was the best car I have ever owned bar none. 370Z was a mixed bag. Mazda MX5 Club. Will miss it. great car for the right season (snow is even fun with the right tires) Can be a bit of a hard ride with a good amount of wind noise with top up. Overall, a very good car. Selling to buy the MS. Only so much room in my garage
German: Mini Cooper S was complete junk. Bad build quality, expensive parts, and terrible service. Z4 nope. Poor quality, not near as fun as My MX5 Club. Mercedes E Class had several oil leak issues never resolved to the point of just trading it off.
British cars: F Type. A bit over priced and some poor build quality with some cheaper interior materials with a good deal of service needed often.
Lotus Evora: build quality? Hand made with lots of "must have been built on Friday" issues, but nothing wrong with the drive train with over 10 years of ownership.
Italian. Fiat 500. Junk. Junk. Junk. did I say junk? because I think it was junk. At least the parts were cheap.
Was close to a McLaren Purchase. 720s in the showroom unable to open door because it would hit the front fender and hood. Panel gap is definitely "a thing" with McLaren. Was not in the market for the 720, but was really there to look at a MP12C. Was warned repeatedly to buy extended warranty for $4k a year for a car with 10k miles. Warned if tracked warranty is void. McLaren: Please don't drive your racecar like a racecar.
Host of American cars with varying degrees of satisfaction.
Only Tesla I have owned (still own) is a 2020 Model 3. So far after 45k miles not one issue. Panel gaps good but paint might be a bit thin on the bumper.

I guess its all up to a persons experience with specific cars. To me the German car quality is more myth than anything else, but of course that is my limited experience.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rhyder
This post got me thinking about the initial quality of my previous vehicles. Chevrolet Camaro--panel gaps, paint chips and fading, oil leaks, catalytic converter issues. Various Hondas--thin paint with chips, interior rattles, glass scratches, incredibly noise brakes. Acura TL--paint chips, fenders did not match body, interior rattles, wind noise. Various Hyundai and Genesis--fading interior trim, paint chips, transmission issues. Various BMWs--paint chips, electronic issues. Tesla Model S--panel gaps, thin paint, headlight issues.

Other than the Camaro, all of these were maintained properly and lasted more than 100K miles. Teslas don't necessarily have the best initial quality according to the surveys (especially compared to cars in this price range), but I wouldn't exactly call it garbage. It's better than average on vehicles that I have owned.

I love my 2016 MS, but hope for even better quality on my upcoming 2022. Elon remarked about panel gaps measured not in millimeters, but micrometers. I'd like to have that build.;)

Reactions: chirowolf
EDIT: Just realized you asked about LR. This write up is for the Plaid but some of it may still apply.

Yeah, the vibration that happens while accelerating between roughly 40-50 mph that affects a lot of us is making me want to sell the car.

Also the air suspension sucks. It felt a little better than my 3. But then when I was getting some service done, they gave me an old S as a loaner and the suspension was so much more noticeably smoother than my refresh. My 1998 Lincoln Continental was better than both though.

As a new Tesla owner of a. Model S and coming from BMW, the OP’s concern is overblown. Just like any forums, BMW included, there are always posts that can scare a potential, new owner away. Some of those posts on these forums almost scared me away too. :)

Reactions: chirowolf
Took delivery Dec 28th 2021. Car has not, not had a service appointment since delivery except for a couple of days somewhere in between visits.

Where do I start except love the vehicle and would not change it regardless of the multiple issues.

Drove it from the service centre with defective air suspension. Brought it in to have them replace the compressor.

Went in for PPF where they found a minor paint defect on the rear passenger quarter panel and the rear passenger door hinges, repainted extremely well.

Rattles in the dash which they corrected however told me the 2 front shocks need to be replaced which was done a couple of weeks later after they received the parts.

Passenger rubber door trim fell off, corrected.

Lost cruise control and all car visuals around me, waiting for service on the 28th.

So far this is the worst track record of any car I have ever owned. The Y on the other hand has been perfect for 1 1/2 years except for the passenger door trim which came loose and was replaced.

Pretty sure I will be OK after this next appointment. I am very patient but it is starting to rub me the wrong way. Biggest problem I have is I simply cannot get rid of the grin on my face every time I drive one of our Teslas. :D

I went from 2019 X to 2022 S. I’ve been reading both S and X delivery threads and issues threads diligently for months. S is as fine as any Tesla (that means good but not perfect). New X I wouldn’t touch for a year. Don’t forget there are major shortages and is a miracle Tesla is shipping anything let alone breaking records.

S does have a couple issues for some folks. A vibration issue (don’t make this another duplicate of that topic). About 50% have it. I don’t (yet). And a bouncier / firmer suspension that can’t be dial down as far as some would like. Some are fine with it. I’m ok with it. But wish I could dial it a bit softer/smoother. Also don’t make this yet another version of the many discussions on it.

X the list is too long and still going through production ramp up headaches and a year behind the S. X has plenty of discussions on it. X also is a Refresh 1.5 where S is a Refresh 2.0. And for the record my X had some issues too.

6 months and 5 visits to the SC for my 2021 LR, but no tows needed so far. I've had a couple of pre-refresh loaners and they may have a softer ride but just about everything else is better in the refresh.

I look at it as "what else would I rather be driving?" and can't come up with anything.

Interior rattle noises and creaking is started to get on my nerves. Push against the cushion on the sides of the arm reset console, its sooooo loud. When the car hits a bump, etc. i can hear that portion a lot. Drove a 2016X as a loaner and it had none of that noise.

My 2022 LR was perfect on delivery. I'm a bit OCD on details and nothing to complain about. I did develop the minor rattle a few weeks ago with the rear seat. You put the seat down and it goes away. The 30-second fix is to stuff some stiff foam in the seat's latch "U" bolt. If I ever have a service appointment for something else, I'll see if there is a fix, but not worth a service call for it alone. I'd venture to say Tesla's quality is similar to Lexus now (I've had 3 in the past). Definitely better than German luxury vehicles I've owned.