Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerned about Mileage 1st Long Distance Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone: I live in Las Vegas, and it seems that I don't get even close to the 310 published mileage. I mean not even close. Then again, I'm fine with that bc I was one of the first owners of BMW's golf cart (i3) - which yielded me 32-33 miles per full charge - NO JOKE.

Anyway, I want to drive to LA next week - It will be the first time I do any real long distance highway driving ever with my car. Any thoughts on how it will go? Will I be pleasantly surprised that long distance highway driving yields solid results? Map says stop in Yermo CA real quick.

Any info appreciated!

-David

Hi Everyone: I live in Las Vegas, and it seems that I don't get even close to the 310 published mileage. I mean not even close. Then again, I'm fine with that bc I was one of the first owners of BMW's golf cart (i3) - which yielded me 32-33 miles per full charge - NO JOKE.

Anyway, I want to drive to LA next week - It will be the first time I do any real long distance highway driving ever with my car. Any thoughts on how it will go? Will I be pleasantly surprised that long distance highway driving yields solid results? Map says stop in Yermo CA real quick.

Any info appreciated!
-David
I'm gonna say that speed is probably why you won't get anywhere close to 310miles. So, stop in Yermo and charge for 15+mins, and don't worry about it. A stop is a stop, you're not going to avoid one unless you drive slowly.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes, I do mash! LOL - So what is your advice to get a nice full range out of it this trip?

Drive about 60-65 mph will get the EPA range. Seeing that there's a number of chargers between LA and LV, you've got absolutely no worries. Just set the car to navigate to your destination and it will let you know what you need to do.
Don't forget that the car brings you in near empty, so if you want to drive around, you may stop at a charger near your destination on the way in. And you are headed into the land of the overused Superchargers, so plan accordingly.

David: If you are concerned about making Yemo or Barstow, there's a huge Supercharger (with a dairy queen) in Baker, on the south end of town. I doubt you will have any problems getting good range if you watch your speed. The nav will show expected charge at your destination.

Little Red Raven S

Any info appreciated!

-David

I just took my first long trip with my stealth performance. When I drive in the city for short trips, my consumption is usually over 300wh/mile. This trip, I drove 140 miles and i averaged 240wh/mile. I charged to 90% and it showed 279 mile range. After 140 miles i still had 140 miles or so remaining range left. The drive was a mix of highway (mostly highway) and back country roads. The weather was around 37 degrees and I had heat set manually to 70 degrees and to speed 1 pointed to the floor.i didnt go over 60 mph on this trip. maybe 65 for 10 miles or so.

Got it! And charge full not 90% like I've been doing before the trip, correct?
Leave with 95-100% full battery, when you refill en route, stop at ~ 80% (otherwise you are wasting time). That gives you 542 miles of EPA driving. Even a lead foot should able to make a 270 mile trip with 542 miles worth of electrons .... (I'm entirely skipping over elevation, wind, rain, temperature, in car heating etc). You can always stop a 2nd time ....

As in #10, set the Nav and it will tell you ....

When you get to Yermo, you will most likely spend 30 minutes in the Eddy World store. Kinda fun place with ultra clean bathrooms. Don't rush things, but enjoy your stop and take a break from driving.
You will begin to appreciate how stopping at a Supercharger makes driving longer distances more enjoyable and less stressful. You will arrive at your destination much fresher than with a typical gasser.

I find new owners frequently ask a question like this because they are trying to extend for really long distances, but without stopping and getting frustrated if they have to either: drive slower or stop for charging. Well, can't have both, bucky. Pick whichever method you like:

1. Drive like a hypermiler. Go slowly on the highway, like 65-70, and don't use much heating or air conditioning, and sure, you can match EPA ratings figures. But you probably don't want to drive that way.

2. Drive faster and more comfortably and take the stop. It's not going to kill you to take a 20-30 minute break in the middle of a 3-4 hour drive. Then you get to go 82 mph on the highway to keep with the flow of Nevada interstate traffic, and keep the car heated and comfortable inside. You have access to the best charging network on Earth. Use it and be glad instead of making yourself miserable trying to skip it and meet some EPA numbers.

I've said it as an analogy to people before like you get the choice of how you adjust your thermostat, and you pay somewhere. Either you keep it warm, and pay the higher bill, or you keep it cooler (cheaper) and have to wear a sweatshirt around the house. Either is fine. You make your choices; you pay your prices.

Reactions: KenC and hcdavis3