Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerned about rear collision when car slows on its own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The speeding up and slowing down on TACC is quite literally following the actions of the vehicle in front of you. You don't notice the vehicle in front of you doing it, but the car does, then you notice the actions of the car. But trust me, the car behind you won't notice your car doing it any more than you would notice the guy in front of you doing it if you were driving manually.

I hate pulse drivers in front of me on TACC. TACC smooths it out a little now, but they're still noticeable and very annoying to TACC behind. Sooooooo... I just move over, let one car get between me and them, and move back. Usually fixes stuff.

With a Mk. I Eyeball.

What about those of us who have Mk. II Laser-Enhanced Eyeballs? <.<

I think the hostile tone of many of these posts is unwarranted. When on Autopilot I have experienced sudden emergency braking several times while in the fast lane caused by AP mistaking a gantry or other non-issue as a hazard. Thankfully I have not yet had anyone crash into me but it is a reasonable thing to fear.

Concur. This past weekend of driving to NorCal I had more than one instance of phantom braking under AP: going 65+, car sees a shadow or notices the car in the next lane is decelerating, so it slows itself. Dropped 15+ mph in a couple of seconds before I hit the accelerator.

Actually, the second time was kinda funny. A guy had been tailgating me for miles thru the mountain pass. (I was holding to the speed limit, but I guess that wasn't fast enough for him.) Rounding a tight bend, my Model 3 came upon a couple of dark shadows across the road caused by nearby barns. So it quickly decelerated. This time I was prepared, and quickly hit the accelerator. In the meantime, the Honda behind me sees my brake lights and locks up his breaks, causing him to start a power slide toward the ditch. After he regained control, he stayed way back behind me for the next couple of miles until he had to turn off.

Hopefully, Elon's neural net will decrease phantom breaking over time.

• Disagree
Reactions: xyxx and tvad
autopilots abrubpt braking can be misconstrued as "brake-checking" and ive noticed a lot of pissed off drivers behind me due to autopilot braking or simply letting off the accelerator

edit:
case in point:

Actually, the second time was kinda funny. A guy had been tailgating me for miles thru the mountain pass. (I was holding to the speed limit, but I guess that wasn't fast enough for him.) Rounding a tight bend, my Model 3 came upon a couple of dark shadows across the road caused by nearby barns. So it quickly decelerated. This time I was prepared, and quickly hit the accelerator. In the meantime, the Honda behind me sees my brake lights and locks up his breaks, causing him to start a power slide toward the ditch. After he regained control, he stayed way back behind me for the next couple of miles until he had to turn off.

You think its "kinda funny" putting people's lives at risk? Whats wrong with you?

You think its "kinda funny" putting people's lives at risk? Whats wrong with you?

I did no such thing. The fool was tailgating extremely close on a two-lane mountain road at which I was doing the posted speed limit; it was the tailgater that was putting his own life and his wife's at risk. My car slowed appreciably due to phantom breaking -- that's on Elon's neural net. I responded immediately and accelerated within a second or two. If he was not tailgating, he would have been fine; again, that's on him.

(not saying that phantom breaking is acceptable, but there is nothing I can do about it, other than to NOT use TACC.)

Reactions: OzVic