Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerning Build Quality of Tesla Model 3 and Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We received collect the delivery of a Model 3 RWD (a month ago ) and Model Y RWD (a week ago)

It is hard to miss that the build quality is concerning....

week 1 of delivery of Model 3, all of sudden, the computer screen went black while driving,
logged a service request, they said its normal computer glitch, Luck I was on city road and driving 30km.. isn't not safe if I was on motorway?

Not mention the really bad communication of the delivery, and how dirty the car was on the pick up, we went through a full check at the pick up and find a handful screeches... (both Y and 3)

Recently we noticed the brake pedal wasn't installed properly and log a service request, we said it looks different compare with other model 3 from our friends, and Tesla came back said its absolutely normal.

Have to say the built quality is not impressive and things are not consistent...
We are not trying to be picky but when you spend $140k for two cars, you just want it to be OK rather than have faulty/damaged cars.

Is anyone have similar experience with Tesla and have made a complaint? and options available...

See photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG20220920071206.jpg
    IMG20220920071206.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG20220920071235.jpg
    IMG20220920071235.jpg
    771.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG20220920071238.jpg
    IMG20220920071238.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Informative
Reactions: Audietron
The screen blacking out is not normal. I don't think over the three years/62k km I've seen my Model 3's screen crash/reboot while driving. However, it doesn't affect the ability for the car to drive - it just means you can't see the speed you're going. If it's only happened the once I wouldn't be too concerned but if it keeps happening then there is something wrong.

The brake pedal does look completely normal. I'm assuming you're talking about the weld lines? Mine looks like that too but I can only see if it I actually put my head in the footwell. I think it's a bit pedantic to worry about the part that is normally out of view.

Reactions: khayyam
We received collect the delivery of a Model 3 RWD (a month ago ) and Model Y RWD (a week ago)

week 1 of delivery of Model 3, all of sudden, the computer screen went black while driving,
logged a service request, they said its normal computer glitch, Luck I was on city road and driving 30km.. isn't not safe if I was on motorway?

Not mention the really bad communication of the delivery, and how dirty the car was on the pick up, we went through a full check at the pick up and find a handful screeches... (both Y and 3)

Recently we noticed the brake pedal wasn't installed properly and log a service request, we said it looks different compare with other model 3 from our friends, and Tesla came back said its absolutely normal.

Have to say the built quality is not impressive and things are not consistent...
We are not trying to be picky but when you spend $140k for two cars, you just want it to be OK rather than have faulty/damaged cars.

Is anyone have similar experience with Tesla and have made a complaint? and options available...

See photo attached.
My car had scratches and all but covered by PPF guys during detailing... not happy with Tesla, but had very low expectations so didn't affect me.
screen going black is not normal, specially during drive. when car would drive normally - almost everything is controlled by screen, without that you don't even know what mode you are into.... most importantly drivers are not informed that what level of control from car wouldn't be available if car software crashes, or loses display abilities, or software hangs when car driving... as everything is controlled with software - it's critical to have access or visibility to it.

Sad that it happened to you... as a customer you always have right to take them to consumer court if they ignore safety and quality concerns... that is what I would do if I am at your place.

Based on my 1 year experience with M3, In most cases restarting the car helps to solve most issues....
  1. press both scroll wheels for 10 seconds and let them go... I do this once a week... car works better and software doesn't feel bulky at all. wireless, radio etc. issues mostly solved with this.
  2. GO to service -> wheel change -> note down wheel type -> change wheel type -> say OK... car will restart.... do it all over again and set the original wheel type again, car will restart again... this is what I do once a month... solves almost every issues... once of the member had issue with indicator and that got solved with this one. internet, hardware function like indicators etc. issues fixed in recent with this.
All the best...

Agree with the others. Screen going black is not good, but if it's only once I'd write it off as an aberration. Of course if it happens repeatedly that's a different story. What is your issue with the pedals? Hard to see anything noteworthy in the photos.

See photo attached.

Paddles, are you talking about one photo bring chromium plated arm and other photos have black arm? visually different, but functionally same I guess. only you would know any other difference as driver.

I logged a service request for my model y back bumper driver side being way too yellow and whats weird was it seemed only that side not the other.......
anyways, went to tesla appointed panel beater in welly and showed them, they found it quite weird too..... so booked in for 4 days repaint covered by tesla, they are really quick to respond and a pleasure to deal with, props to the welly team.

btw, its the pearl white model y.

Reactions: Audietron
I logged a service request for my model y back bumper driver side being way too yellow and whats weird was it seemed only that side not the other.......
anyways, went to tesla appointed panel beater in welly and showed them, they found it quite weird too..... so booked in for 4 days repaint covered by tesla, they are really quick to respond and a pleasure to deal with, props to the welly team.

Good to know your good experience.
Service people at New Zealand are great only... they are helpless when it involves details they are not provided access to - and there is lot Tesla keeps away from branches or non-usa regions, like they keep from customers.

I have the some issue and I think they have booked the same panel beater in welly, Pearl white model 3, good services

Lol, he didn't really win though.

He paid $10k in legal fees to get the same outcome as if he had just followed Tesla's process that they were already actioning.
Is that a good thing? Our legal system and Tesla as company failed one customer with genuine concerns..

That's where I said about Tesla’s attitude...
Many other companies got in similar scenarios before, outcome was always replacing car and looking after customer (finally)
None of us would be laughing if it was one of us in that scenario.

Reactions: montybhai
The man contacted Tesla with pictures of the damage. Tesla offered to assess the vehicle but the man said he did not want repairs to a damaged car and instead sought a replacement. The company declined.

The owner didnt give tesla a chance to examine the vehicle or make right before starting legal proceedings by the sounds of it

As a result, he was entitled under the Consumer Guarantees Act to reject the vehicle.

His desire for a replacement Model 3 hit a road block when it emerged the company had none in stock and a waiting list extending to February 2023.

The only options for a swift remedy were therefore repair or refund.

The man said his preference was to have the Tesla repaired and receive financial compensation.

So rather than get a refund or wait for a new car until Feb 2023 he chose to have his car fixed exactly the same as would have happened without any legal procedure

Tesla should absolutely improve their PDI, they rush cars out with too few staff to cope and no customer should get dirty or damaged cars - I did myself but rather than being a Karen I just talked to tesla, got the car looked at and fixed.