Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerning using USB for music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the car, but miss the ability to play my ipod through the system. When I read the use of an USB for music, I created one and arranged all my songs is different folders.
Initially it worked fine, but then I noticed the next day, that the songs were showing up twice, by the third day, I was stuck with all the songs listed, but no folders. I couldn't get back to the folders.
I figured it was loading the songs and doubling up, however, I don't see a way to clear whatever memory the song are kept in, if that would even work.
Just checking if anyone else has these problems and what you might possibly have done to correct them.
thanks
J

I figured it out, missed the options down the left hand side, getting old. Concerning the double music. I have all my albums in folders, but have setup folders to replace the playlist option in itunes. because it holds the song in two folders, when the 'list songs' option is chosen, the song shows up twice.
Anyway, I'll keep the format I'm using.
J

Nice job figuring it out, I would have told you about they left side in this post if you hadn't figured it out. I like your playlist idea, and if everything is duplicated, it doesn't even break random for all songs. It would be nicer if the media player actually supported playlists. Unfortunately, the media player seems to have gotten worse over time (2017 X100D here). I don't think I've driven a Raven anything, so maybe things have been fixed since then, but I've upgraded to MCU2, so I doubt it. As such, one thing you're bound to notice eventually (if you haven't already) is that your music doesn't always start back up when you get in and drive. Interestingly, in my experience with multiple S loaners, MP3 music will always start back up right where it left off when you open any door (including the hatch). In the X, however, this doesn't happen. If you want to pick up where you've left off, I've found two ways that seem to work consistently, but they are definitely really goofy workarounds.

1) If you press down on the driver seat (to trigger the weight sensor) and then close the driver door, waiting for the window to close completely before re-opening it, music will resume upon reopen.
2) If you sit on the seat, but then lift your butt off before closing the door, keeping your butt lifted until the door has closed and the window has closed completely, music will resume when you sit back down.

In both of these cases, I don't think the window is relevant, it's just a nice timer. If you re-open the door too quickly in (1) or sit your butt down too quickly in (2), the music won't resume. Also, there are likely other tricks that might work if you have passengers, but I haven't validated them, as I don't have passengers often. All tricks seem to involve the driver seat and door, though, so to be clear, it's just that passenger doors can also trigger music once whatever irrelevant behind-the-scenes sequence that causes this misbehavior to begin with is completed (this includes at the end of a trip, for instance, if you get out and close your door before your passenger opens their door).

A tiny bit off topic but there is whole thread on USB music issues.

My question for you posting here is: are you seeing the album art for your USB music when playing tracks? Those of us with MS/MX lost that ability with 2021 firmware updates.

A tiny bit off topic but there is whole thread on USB music issues.

My question for you posting here is: are you seeing the album art for your USB music when playing tracks? Those of us with MS/MX lost that ability with 2021 firmware updates.
Got my 17 MX in March and I have never seen album arts in my USB music. Can't figure out why since they show up in other devices/computers.

Got my 17 MX in March and I have never seen album arts in my USB music. Can't figure out why since they show up in other devices/computers.
Well if you have a 2021 FW fuggedaboutit.

But you can follow this thread here for updates

1) If you press down on the driver seat (to trigger the weight sensor) and then close the driver door, waiting for the window to close completely before re-opening it, music will resume upon reopen.
2) If you sit on the seat, but then lift your butt off before closing the door, keeping your butt lifted until the door has closed and the window has closed completely, music will resume when you sit back down.

LOL, quite the solution, very modern and up-to-date. Made me laugh.
Perhaps there will be a better way and a new update might allow us to use our ipods, would be great. In the meantime, I'll just put up with it.
I might, though, load a second USB with the playlist folders, that would eliminate the double song listing, I'll see.
J

LOL, quite the solution, very modern and up-to-date. Made me laugh.
Perhaps there will be a better way and a new update might allow us to use our ipods, would be great. In the meantime, I'll just put up with it.
I might, though, load a second USB with the playlist folders, that would eliminate the double song listing, I'll see.
J
It is absolutely ridiculous, but it works. Kills me that Model S does fine but Model X is like this. iPod should work with Bluetooth (to the extent that you don't want much control), but I've seen complaints about iPhone Bluetooth issues, so those might carry over to iPod as well, or you might be talking about an older iPod that needs a wired connection.

I'm not sure you need a second USB, you can sort by folder only for your playlisting and still play by artist/album/genre using the ID3 tags..

Reactions: Jarends