Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerns about availability of roadside towing for New Mexico Tesla owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ORB

Jun 22, 2012
Hello all,

I visit my sisters in Albuquerque NM frequently using my 2012 Model S, and I worry about availability of emergency roadside towing to a Tesla service center from there (the closest is in Tempe or Scottsdale, AZ). Has anyone had occasion to use their Tesla emergency roadside assistance plan in New Mexico for purposes of having to have their car repaired at a Tesla service center?

I wonder if Tesla has to arrange for a special vehicle transporter for this, since the allowable towing radius for most towing companies does not come anywhere close to the 400 mile distance that is required in this case.

I have a secondary curiousity about how much a 400 mile tow would cost, since Tesla no longer pays for the tow after 4 years of vehicle ownership, regardless of whether the extended service or extended warranty plans were purchased, for which I have both (I confirmed the roadside assistance expiration information from multiple Tesla customer service conversations).

I’d much appreciate any information you may have.
Thanks!
Oliver Barrett

Hi, Recommend having towing insurance that will pay to the nearest Tesla service center. My 2013 MS shutdown at the Bend, OR, supercharger and had to be towed to the Portland service center for repairs last spring at a tow cost of $ 1K for 150 miles. First time the car had ever broken down. Ten days prior the car was given a clean bill of health at its 87.5K service in Bellevue, WA. Shutdown was triggered when supercharging started and the battery heater signaled a fault. Now I always make sure the range mode is on when supercharging so battery heat will not be activated. Luckily my USAA tow insurance paid the bill.

In such a situation as you describe, I would try very hard to contact Anthony Glass or the other Tesla mobile service technician who cover Albuquerque, southern NM,and far western TX. They are both excellent. And they perform emergency repairs. I would only consider flat-bedding my Tesla to a SC upon their recommendation.

Our 2012 S P85 broke down in the middle of Kansas and required towing to the KC Service Center for repairs.

While we had the extra 50K miles/4 year extended warranty (our car had more than 50K miles at the time), Tesla did not include Roadside Assistance with the early extended warranty plans, so we were on our own to get our Tesla towed. Plus, because it was Saturday night, the Service Center wouldn't open until Monday, so we were also on our own to get a temporary vehicle until our S was repaired and we could resume our road trip. Fortunately, our insurance covered both.

Tesla has since added Roadside Assistance to the extra 50K miles/4 year extended warranty. So they would make arrangements with a towing company that was approved for towing a Tesla. Though you may still need to use your insurance if you tow the vehicle outside of Service Center business hours.

Thank you for the replies. Looks like owners of older Tesla cars face a huge financial liability in the event of a long distance tow. I would love to find an outfit that would sell me towing insurance that would cover 400 mile tows.

Mggurley, bob_p, might you know what your maximum towing ranges are that your insurance carriers support?

Bob_p, could you please advise me of the service center or Tesla salesperson who provided the information regarding Tesla Roadside Assistance availability during the extended warranty period for recent customers?

Thanks again!
Oliver

I have heard towing without some sort of roadside assistance program can be very expensive. @mggurley's tow certainly would have floored me if it were my car. We have maintained our AAA Plus membership (northern Calif) which gives us 200 miles of free towing range. That still wouldn't help out OP though. Never thought to ask what it would cost beyond the 200.

Discouraged to learn that NM SB243 and HB294 just died in committee, so NM service center outlook looks bleak. I wrote Tesla Customer Service a postal letter a couple of months ago respectfully suggesting that they offer Tesla owners the opportunity to purchase an extension of Tesla’s Emergency Roadside Assistance Plan, which would greatly mitigate the financial risk of a very long distance emergency tow for > 4 year old Teslas in rural areas.

I pay for towing on every car, RV and bike. Unlimited miles.
WARNING. Get out your tow hook and learn how to install it. Leran how to get nose off.
My car died, motor blew out. Driver arrived , i got out tow hook. Guess what? WRONG SIZE HOOK IN CAR. Threads were wrong.
Lucky for me and Tesla, driver agreed to put his hooks in nose bar and pull car up on rool back.
It took SC 2 weeks to get me correct hook.

Not sure about the towing limit for our insurance.

Tesla's Roadside Assistance is limited to 500 miles and is documented in the Roadside Assistance and Extended Warranty documents that should be listed in on the page for your vehicle in your Tesla Account.

Thank you bob_p. How I wish I could purchase Tesla’s Roadside Assistance Plan! Unfortunately, there is no reference to being able to extend the original plan according to Tesla’s plan documentation. Also, after multiple conversations with Tesla Support and various service centers, I’ve been told that that plan is not available for any Model S cars after 4 years from purchase date.

For these owners, Tesla did state that they will help locate a towing service that will agree to tow up to 500 miles, in response to a call in a roadside assistance situation, but the owner will need to pay for it. Tesla’s role as an intermediary is key here as otherwise most companies will only provide towing within their local service area.

Lasttoy, thanks for the tow hook info. I’m not sure that a tow hook can be used on my 2012 Model S, but will look into it (or use of a tow strap if necessary).

Oliver Barrett