Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerns about limited tire choices for M3 Performace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Potential M3 owner in next few weeks. I'm vacillating between choosing a M3 LR or the M3P. My main concern with the M3P is the limited tire selection as this car will be my primary commuting vehicle and will likely see 30,000 miles a year. So tire replacements are likely to be a near yearly thing.

With the way current prices are on these two cars, there is a $6500 difference between them assuming I were to upgrade the M3 LR to 19' wheels, which I would. For me I'm willing to pay the piper for the performance increase. However just looking at Tirerack I see the M3LR has 30+ tires available for it and the M3P only has about 8. I'm concerned that over time, the number of tires available for the M3P will become even more limited.

This has happened to me before with a SRT-4 ACR that had an odd-ball tire/wheel combo. I plan on holding on to my M3 for some time, so I can see this situation happening again as a real possibility.

I'm aware I could get aftermarket wheels sometime down the road, but I'm not keen on that idea.

Just curios if this has been a concern with anybody else or if maybe I'm being overly paranoid due to being bitten once.

Hi all,

Potential M3 owner in next few weeks. I'm vacillating between choosing a M3 LR or the M3P. My main concern with the M3P is the limited tire selection as this car will be my primary commuting vehicle and will likely see 30,000 miles a year. So tire replacements are likely to be a near yearly thing.

With the way current prices are on these two cars, there is a $6500 difference between them assuming I were to upgrade the M3 LR to 19' wheels, which I would. For me I'm willing to pay the piper for the performance increase. However just looking at Tirerack I see the M3LR has 30+ tires available for it and the M3P only has about 8. I'm concerned that over time, the number of tires available for the M3P will become even more limited.

This has happened to me before with a SRT-4 ACR that had an odd-ball tire/wheel combo. I plan on holding on to my M3 for some time, so I can see this situation happening again as a real possibility.

I'm aware I could get aftermarket wheels sometime down the road, but I'm not keen on that idea.

Just curios if this has been a concern with anybody else or if maybe I'm being overly paranoid due to being bitten once.

Were you not able to find a P3D-, or unicorn, without the wheel/brake package? That's the one I would get -- my AWD LR cost a lot more than it. haha

Were you not able to find a P3D-, or unicorn, without the wheel/brake package? That's the one I would get -- my AWD LR cost a lot more than it. haha

Interesting. I hadn't heard of the P3D-. After looking around it sounds about perfect for what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, according to my salesperson, you can only get the stealth model (that's how she referred to them) based on what was in inventory. She indicated it's not a option to order a custom M3P with that configuration.

So far, based on various zip codes entered on the Tesla inventory page, I haven't seen any in stock.

I am dropping down to 18" rims (t sportline) on my performance package model. More options depending on what you need.

Are these the one your talking about?

Tesla Model 3 18

Since they list the Performance model, I'm assuming they clear the rear brake caliber. I like the design in that it's similar to stock. If I buy the car, it might be something to consider.

Thank you for the suggestion.

They are not listed online. Your advisor has to locate you one. Went to store locally yesterday and they had 3 in stock. Even if there is not one at your location they can get one for you. May have to pay some shipping but worth it. If you cant get him to help you let me know and I have a contact who will make it happen.