Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerns about NEMA 6-50R in new home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChrisH

Jun 4, 2013
Milton, wa
All,

I apologize for creating a new thread on this topic as I have found some information on the charging FAQ section and the like, but I’m wondering if someone can tell me straightforward if having a NEMA 6-50R outlet is going to work for a Tesla.

My wife and I are having a house built and we elected to have an electric car charger installed. I mistakenly assumed this was going to be a NEMA 14-50 outlet, but it turns out that it is a NEMA 6-50R outlet with a dedicated circuit for the 240 V 50amp NEMA 6-50 outlet.

It appears Tesla no longer sells an adapter for this type of outlet and I’ve read a lot of confusing (to me) and worrisome makeshift approaches to getting this to work. I’d rather not endanger my family or risk insurance issues down the line with a makeshift option and I’m curious if anyone has a straightforward answer on if this outlet is essentially useless for a future Tesla owner or if there is a way to make it work safely and effectively.

What are my options? Find an adapter that is legit? Have the 6-50R changed to a NEMA 14-50 (I hear this won’t be easy or cheap), others?

Thanks in advance.

I guess the question is... Did they use 6-3 wire or 6-2?

I will always use the 3 wire... then you future proof the outlet... even ran 10-3 to my water heater that didn't need a neutral... you just cap it off in the box...

if you have 3 wires + ground wire up the 14/50.

even if you don't, I don't believe the tesla UMC checks for a neutral wire - but that's at YOUR own risk.

Maybe you can find an old Tesla 6-50 adapter. But I'll just assume not for the rest of this post.

It's actually quite nice not having to use the UMC in your home garage. Since you have to do something, I would consider a change that puts a cord on the wall. I'm not sure what the wiring requirements are for a Tesla HPWC are, but maybe that's an option. Or look to see what other EVSE's are available. I have a GE Wattstation that actually plugs into a 6-50 outlet (back when I bought it, they had 2 versions; one that is hard wired, the other that plugs into a 6-50). It's what I use to charge my Model S. However, it's limited to 30 amps (thought it was 32, but on inspecting technical specs, I think it's only 30; not that 2 amps makes much difference).

What I use:

General Electric EVWSWBC WattStation Wall Mount, Black, NEMA 6-50P Plug - - Amazon.com

Of course, with a Tesla adapter attached, you can't holster the handle in the center, but it drapes over the top nicely, so that didn't matter to me. I leave the J1772 adapter plugged in all the time to the EVSE, and ordered a 2nd J1772 adapter that I keep in my car with the UMC.

Last edited:
Maybe you can find an old Tesla 6-50 adapter. But I'll just assume not for the rest of this post.

It's actually quite nice not having to use the UMC in your home garage. Since you have to do something, I would consider a change that puts a cord on the wall. I'm not sure what the wiring requirements are for a Tesla HPWC are, but maybe that's an option. Or look to see what other EVSE's are available. I have a GE Wattstation that actually plugs into a 6-50 outlet (back when I bought it, they had 2 versions; one that is hard wired, the other that plugs into a 6-50). It's what I use to charge my Model S. However, it's limited to 30 amps (thought it was 32, but on inspecting technical specs, I think it's only 30; not that 2 amps makes much difference).

What I use:

General Electric EVWSWBC WattStation Wall Mount, Black, NEMA 6-50P Plug - - Amazon.com

Of course, with a Tesla adapter attached, you can't holster the handle in the center, but it drapes over the top nicely, so that didn't matter to me. I leave the J1772 adapter plugged in all the time to the EVSE, and ordered a 2nd J1772 adapter that I keep in my car with the UMC.

Hmm so this thing plugs into the 6-50 and then the charging cord has the correct adapter or plug that fits into the tesla (what is that plug?) How many miles per hour charge do you get a 30amps? Thanks.

Last edited:
I guess the question is... Did they use 6-3 wire or 6-2?

I will always use the 3 wire... then you future proof the outlet... even ran 10-3 to my water heater that didn't need a neutral... you just cap it off in the box...

if you have 3 wires + ground wire up the 14/50.

even if you don't, I don't believe the tesla UMC checks for a neutral wire - but that's at YOUR own risk.

The outlet says 50A 250V 2P-3W. Not sure if that tells you anything.

I read this document and it looks like this might be the easiest route to go:

NEMA 6-50P to 14-50R EV Adapter, 50A, 250V | EV Adapters

Do you know if this adapter violates any electrical codes? Thanks

Yeah, that will work. I'm pretty sure (99%) that no codes would be violated. Your UMC would only be pulling 40 amps anyway, 20% less than the rated 50 amps of the outlet.

It's just a lot less expensive to build one yourself, if you're capable. That's what I did for about $20.

Hmm so this thing plugs into the 6-50 and then the charging cord has the correct adapter or plug that fits into the tesla (what is that plug?) How many miles per hour charge do you get a 30amps? Thanks.

Attached are the following -- pictures of Tesla J1772 adapter; allows you to plug the Tesla into standard L2 J1772 charge stations (one comes with car purchase; additional can be purchased through Tesla at $95 each). Picture of the GE Wattstation handle and Tesla J1772 adapter. Picture of adapter plugged into GE Wattstation handle and drapped over top of GE Wattstation.

This allows me to to easily plug in my car each night without dragging the UMC out of the car. This particular EVSE is limited to 30 amps, which comes out to 22 miles of range restored per hour for a Model S; enough to fully recharge over night. I believe the Tesla HPWC and UMC as well have a button on them that will open and unlock the charge port; you won't get this when using an EVSE + adapter, but it's easy enough to open and unlock the charge port using the key fob or phone app or other car controls. I wouldn't say this is ideal, but it works pretty well. One possible benefit you don't get with some other Tesla charging solutions is that you can charge pretty much any electric car off of it (by removing the adapter, since pretty much all electric cars outside of Tesla have J1772 charge ports).

This is not exactly a cheap solution, since the EVSE is maybe $550 and an extra J1772 adapter is $95, but it's easy install and provides greater EV charging flexibility.

j1772-adapter.jpg j1772-adapter-tesla-side.jpg j1772-handle-and-adapter.jpghandle-plus-adapter-draped.jpg

Attached are the following -- pictures of Tesla J1772 adapter; allows you to plug the Tesla into standard L2 J1772 charge stations (one comes with car purchase; additional can be purchased through Tesla at $95 each). Picture of the GE Wattstation handle and Tesla J1772 adapter. Picture of adapter plugged into GE Wattstation handle and drapped over top of GE Wattstation.

This allows me to to easily plug in my car each night without dragging the UMC out of the car. This particular EVSE is limited to 30 amps, which comes out to 22 miles of range restored per hour for a Model S; enough to fully recharge over night. I believe the Tesla HPWC and UMC as well have a button on them that will open and unlock the charge port; you won't get this when using an EVSE + adapter, but it's easy enough to open and unlock the charge port using the key fob or phone app or other car controls. I wouldn't say this is ideal, but it works pretty well. One possible benefit you don't get with some other Tesla charging solutions is that you can charge pretty much any electric car off of it (by removing the adapter, since pretty much all electric cars outside of Tesla have J1772 charge ports).

This is not exactly a cheap solution, since the EVSE is maybe $550 and an extra J1772 adapter is $95, but it's easy install and provides greater EV charging flexibility.

View attachment 171720 View attachment 171721 View attachment 171722View attachment 171724

I appreciate your response. Nice pics and certainly another option to consider. Thank you!

Maybe not what you want, but it's real easy to make a 6-50R -> NEMA 14-50 socket adapter:

http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf

I made one and it works fine. I wouldn't call it "makeshift".

It is "makeshift" because it doesn't deliver what the NEMA 14-50 is expected to deliver, which is 125V/250V 4-wire power. RV's use that same 50 amp plug and *require* the 120V, and you will destroy appliances right and left in the RV should you try to use that with it.

There is no safety problem using only Tesla vehicles with that adapter (or the one posted later). However, you should label it 6 ways to Sunday with "TESLA CHARGING ONLY -- USE FOR NO OTHER APPLICATIONS -- NO NEUTRAL". Do *not* leave it unlabeled, thinking "I'll be the only one who ever touches this", because I'd be a rich man if I had a dollar for every time someone got burned by that type of thinking and I got a call.

What others said is correct - it's likely that your 6-50 was only a 3-wire installation (L1/L2/G) instead of 4-wire (L1/L2/N/G). 14-50's cannot be installed on 3-wire circuits.

Reactions: HankLloydRight