Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerns with safety issues in Tesla. Why so many software bugs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've had my model 3 for about 3 months, and there have been a number of software related bugs and I go to thinking of the safety concerns with some of these bugs.

First off, I want to say that I've been driving for about 35 years, have had Dodges, Acuras, Porsches, Mercedes, Mazda, Lexus, Toyota, etc..... I've never been too concerned about software glitches in some of these, but in the Tesla, I am because most can't be explained except for Tesla saying, there is a software update for every issue. Not every issue is software related....

Let me give you some examples of issues:

At least 10 times in the last 2 weeks I've had my backup camera bug out. Meaning, I put it in reverse, all black. Driving on the highway, blacks out. Never had these issues before in the cars above.

How about this one that I've had over the last 5 days....every morning, when I get in my car, it says, "Autopilot Trial..Software update in progress....Please leave car in PARK and release the brake pedal." That's fantastic, an update,....however, I don't even have Autopilot, nor did I ever say I wanted it....".... When this occurs, every morning, my car is locked up and I can't even drive it...I need to press both buttons on the steering wheel to release it... I did it once, then I couldn't even put it in drive. I had to reset it again.

I have a couple of other odd ball issues that are inconsistent with weird noises and things magically turning on.

Telsa says...oh software issues..updating coming..

Now the big safety concern. I've never felt this way about any of the many vehicles I've had in the past, but with all these software glitches, can the Tesla just stop in the middle of the highway or in an intersection... This actually scares me... They can just say, oh software glitch. Anyone else have this safety concern?... I mean, it could happen to any vehicle, I know you Telsa heads will say that, but then, Tesla can never explain the other odd ball issues I've had with things locking up and I can't drive.

The car shouldn’t stop driving due to software bugs. You can usually continue to drive even while the screen reboots. It can be unsettling, but car should be functional. Unfortunately software bugs are a way of life for Tesla ownership right now.

Now, there are hardware problems that may cause the car to loose power mid-drive, namely the drive unit failing or sometimes a HV battery problem.

Backup camera has been a problem in the last couple of releases. Mine always bugs out when I am trying to back in a busy parking lot, very annoying. I have heard about the autopilot trial bug, but I have AP, so haven’t seen it.

What firmware are you on?

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
The car shouldn’t stop driving due to software bugs. You can usually continue to drive even while the screen reboots. It can be unsettling, but car should be functional. Unfortunately software bugs are a way of life for Tesla ownership right now.

Now, there are hardware problems that may cause the car to loose power mid-drive, namely the drive unit failing or sometimes a HV battery problem.

Backup camera has been a problem in the last couple of releases. Mine always bugs out when I am trying to back in a busy parking lot, very annoying. I have heard about the autopilot trial bug, but I have AP, so haven’t seen it.

What firmware are you on?

Thanks Az_Rael..I'm on 2019.8.6.1 according to my app.

The biggest thing is...the car locking up and I can't even put it in Drive... and why is it updating Autopilot Trail...i never asked it to. ...so my concern is...what prevents software bugs from happening while I'm driving...it's dangerous and unsettling to me...

...can't even put it in Drive...

What's the car doing when you can't select your gear to Drive?

Normally, your car is not functioning when it is in the middle of a software update. You have to wait for it which might take about 45 minutes.

Tesla isolates propulsion system against the convenient system so it is rare that a software bug would interfere with your driving.

I've been driven 3 different Tesla models since 2012 and yes, they all have software bugs for the past 7 years but they have never interfered with the braking, steering, and accelerator. I could even do a reboot while driving at 70 MPH and its cruise/autopilot still keep on working without skipping a beat.

What's the car doing when you can't select your gear to Drive?

Normally, your car is not functioning when it is in the middle of a software update. You have to wait for it which might take about 45 minutes.

Tesla isolates propulsion system against the convenient system so it is rare that a software bug would interfere with your driving.

I've been driven 3 different Tesla models since 2012 and yes, they all have software bugs for the past 7 years but they have never interfered with the braking, steering, and accelerator. I could even do a reboot while driving at 70 MPH and its cruise/autopilot still keep on working without skipping a beat.

Like I said above, it says, "Autopilot Trial..Software update in progress....Please leave car in PARK and release the brake pedal.""

but it's been like that for 3-4 days every morning. Everytime I reset my car, I get that message and my entire vehicle is locked up the next morning.....

why is it updating? I never asked it to... I don't even want autopilot.

Like I said above, it says, "Autopilot Trial..Software update in progress....Please leave car in PARK and release the brake pedal.""

but it's been like that for 3-4 days every morning. Everytime I reset my car, I get that message and my entire vehicle is locked up the next morning.....

why is it updating? I never asked it to... I don't even want autopilot.

It might be a partial download that didn’t complete. See others here: New EAP Trial Stuck Forever

Thanks Az_Rael..I'm on 2019.8.6.1 according to my app.

The biggest thing is...the car locking up and I can't even put it in Drive... and why is it updating Autopilot Trail...i never asked it to. ...so my concern is...what prevents software bugs from happening while I'm driving...it's dangerous and unsettling to me...

Why did you purchase a tesla in the first place? Not being combative, just wondering. Its fairly well known that tesla updates the car via software updates, and if you wanted a car that was going to stay static / the way it came from the factory, then this is not the right car brand for that. All those other car brands you mentioned you owned pretty much stay as delivered.

The updates are for some wonderful (things like getting an update that adds dashcam functionality, or additional car alarm functionality), and for others frustrating (things you described).

None of the things you described scare me as a SAFETY issue, which was your question. A backup camera not functioning is super annoying (and because of the lack of visibility out of the back of this particular car, can make it very difficult to reverse into or out of somewhere), but its not a "safety" issue to me.

Never had my car not be able to be put into drive, but all sorts of cars have had issues where "they wont start". Im sure you have experienced car issues over your time driving, and maybe even a time or two when your "car wouldnt start" for one reason or another. The only thing is, with the tesla its "new" and less understood so, if your ICE car wouldnt start maybe it wouldnt scare you? No idea, thats a rhetorical question.

its a car, cars are not perfect things, they sometimes have problems. In tesla's case, its like a big smartphone. If the idea of driving a big smartphone is not appealing this is not the right car brand for anyone feeling that way.

(my opinion only)

So, I've had my model 3 for about 3 months, and there have been a number of software related bugs and I go to thinking of the safety concerns with some of these bugs.

First off, I want to say that I've been driving for about 35 years, have had Dodges, Acuras, Porsches, Mercedes, Mazda, Lexus, Toyota, etc..... I've never been too concerned about software glitches in some of these, but in the Tesla, I am because most can't be explained except for Tesla saying, there is a software update for every issue. Not every issue is software related....

Let me give you some examples of issues:

At least 10 times in the last 2 weeks I've had my backup camera bug out. Meaning, I put it in reverse, all black. Driving on the highway, blacks out. Never had these issues before in the cars above.

How about this one that I've had over the last 5 days....every morning, when I get in my car, it says, "Autopilot Trial..Software update in progress....Please leave car in PARK and release the brake pedal." That's fantastic, an update,....however, I don't even have Autopilot, nor did I ever say I wanted it....".... When this occurs, every morning, my car is locked up and I can't even drive it...I need to press both buttons on the steering wheel to release it... I did it once, then I couldn't even put it in drive. I had to reset it again.

I have a couple of other odd ball issues that are inconsistent with weird noises and things magically turning on.

Telsa says...oh software issues..updating coming..

Now the big safety concern. I've never felt this way about any of the many vehicles I've had in the past, but with all these software glitches, can the Tesla just stop in the middle of the highway or in an intersection... This actually scares me... They can just say, oh software glitch. Anyone else have this safety concern?... I mean, it could happen to any vehicle, I know you Telsa heads will say that, but then, Tesla can never explain the other odd ball issues I've had with things locking up and I can't drive.

While the issues are issues, the issues aren't basic safety related and the car should be safely drivable without the features. There are multiple systems in the car and the software and features are isolated at different levels to be able to provide the safety needed.

When the display computer reboots, which is a normal abnormality, the car is still drivable and even autopilot continues to work. It's similar to other cars where the different drive systems are isolated from each other, both from a safety perspective as well as a "the manufacturer hasn't tried to make them interoperable" position.

The autopilot problem is indeed a bug, but it is also a bug that can possibly be fixed remotely.
The rearview camera, for me at least, seems to be a little less reliable in the latest builds, so I'm just waiting for it to be worked out.

SO i read that New EAP Trial Stuck Forever but it really wasn't resolved. I guess I'll call Tesla when they open. Pretty stupid and buggy if you ask me...partial download...

It still never answers my question...I never asked for the trial...why would it automatically download this.... I hate when things are forced upon me that I never asked for... The regular updates...at least it asks me...

Unfortunately I think this kinda of buggy software is simply a sign of the times, and I don't expect Tesla to be alone in this.

When's the last time anyone has really used an advanced piece of Software that didn't have a ridiculous number of bugs?

I'm not a software developer so I can't speak to why software is getting so bad. It's not just Tesla, but Apple along with Microsoft. Even my Range Rover Sport was a little glitchy SW wise.

The bugs in Telsa firmware can be anywhere from a little annoying like backup camera not coming up on the first try to the entire screen rebooting.

Today I had the weirdest bug in a long time.

I had just gotten into my car, and I was driving to my moms. I heard some terrible sound, and it sounded like it was coming from the music. So I muted the stereo, but it was still there. So then I'm thinking I could be dragging something, or something is up with my motors/drive train or something. So I turned on the turn signal to go into another development area to stop the car to check. As soon as I turned on the turn signal the noise went away.

So then I turned the other signal on, and got back on the road.

I never heard the sound again.

It was clearly some SW bug.

Now I do recall having an issue like it previously where I had to do a reset of the computer to get it to go away.