Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concidering CPO P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nismo

Aug 6, 2017
I am considering a used P85+. I came to this conclusion in that I wanted to get into a Tesla for a lower cost than new ownership and I have always been into the performance aspect of cars (grew up with modified 300ZX Turbos and currently a modded Audi B8 S4).
The P85+ seems like a sweet spot in the Tesla production line up for my needs. A step up in power from the lower 60, 75, 85 options, with the added suspension upgrades of the + that aren't available anymore on Model Ss.

Anyways, these are only my thoughts and what I could come up with. I'm asking you guys if I am missing any of the equation. After all, there are a lot of different model Ss to compare out there. Plus, each of those models probably have different things to keep an eye out for during daily use.

What are everyone's thoughts on the P85+, over other models, keeping in mind that a P85+ can be had for under $60k.

Are there any VIN ranges in the P85+ that offered different tweaks to the cars?

P85+ is a great spec if you don't want AWD or Autopilot (very rare handful had autopilot). At your price point your not far from Autopilot1 territory and still admirable performance.

Also don't forget about the new 75Ds. Increased speed, AP2 and potentially a larger (85) battery (although I believe just confirmed for some European deliveries for now). Plus, eligible for the Federal Tax Credit. I'm guessing at least 0-60, a new 75D will take pretty much any other (non-Tesla) car off the line, modded or otherwise! :D

• Helpful
Reactions: FutureShock
I've had a few P85+ loaners. Suspension is perfect for sporty street driving. Far softer than my pre april 15 P85D's go cart stiff suspension.

It has a fun factor off the line with it's controllable wheel spin that the P85D doesn't have. It's an awesome car.

That said, I'd still try to swing a slightly used 75D over a P85+. About the same power but the AWD will do better in inclement weather. It's just bout as fast to 60 as the P85+ is.

I had multiple modified 300ZXTT's as well. The last was mildly modified:

Larger turbos, intake, exhaust, flywheel, 555 injectors, intercoolers, and shorter rear diff.

Dynod 408 at the wheels on pump gas.

The P85 would still kill it from 0-60. Despite the Z mods, 0-60 never dropped to less than 4.5.

However, at speed, my last Z still had far faster 70-90 passing speed than my P85D before it was upgraded to Ludicrous. After Ludicrous, they're about equivalent.

Here are the sale photos from when I sold it back in '08.

300ZX Sale Photos - alana

Reactions: Blu Zap
I went to a P85+ CPO after I totalled my E46 M3, and haven't regretted it for a second. The drivetrain is comically good, and it handles amazing for it's size. The Model S is a much larger car than I normally go for, but the drivetrain and weight distribution negates essentially all the of the compromises you usually get with such a big car. Absolutely recommend picking one up--the Model S is far and away the best daily driver you can get right now.

edit:// no warmup, and instant torque! Wake up, walk outside, get in car, MASH THE GO PEDAL.

Thanks guys, good to hear the stories from each of you. So, they don't offer the suspension of the P85+ anymore. Did they upgrade any of their models with those components later, or did they just do away with it all together? Maybe they chose to upgrade suspension on a model, but didn't designate it with a +? Folks say the components in the P85+ made the cars handling a lot more direct and sport tuned. It would be strange for Tesla not to offer the sportier handling in another model at some point.

I've had my P85+ since Jan '14. To me the P85+ is the best car Tesla ever built. I had a loaner P85D and although that's a great car I was never tempted to get rid of my +.

My previous cars are Camaros, BMW E46 M3, Mustang Boss 302 and stuff like that. All RWD big motor kind of cars so that's probably why I like the P85+ so much.

Thanks guys, good to hear the stories from each of you. So, they don't offer the suspension of the P85+ anymore. Did they upgrade any of their models with those components later, or did they just do away with it all together? Maybe they chose to upgrade suspension on a model, but didn't designate it with a +? Folks say the components in the P85+ made the cars handling a lot more direct and sport tuned. It would be strange for Tesla not to offer the sportier handling in another model at some point.

Only the P85Ds build before May, 2014 had the P+ suspension. None since. Some people claim the suspension is retro-fittable, but I don't believe anyone had actually done it yet.

I've had my P85+ since Jan '14. To me the P85+ is the best car Tesla ever built. I had a loaner P85D and although that's a great car I was never tempted to get rid of my +.

My previous cars are Camaros, BMW E46 M3, Mustang Boss 302 and stuff like that. All RWD big motor kind of cars so that's probably why I like the P85+ so much.

I'm agree 100% on the suspension part of that statement. The P85D (pre april) is so much stiffer than the P85+ that the P85+ is like driving a Cadillac by comparison...although still way stiffer than the base 85 suspension. I've driven a post april P85D and it's in the opposite direction and too soft compared to the P85+.

Reactions: davidc18
I didn't find that to be true at all. I think the P85D is a little bit stiffer due to the dynamics of the front motor, but the handling and suspension is about the same as my P85+.

I found that on smooth roads the P85D is fine but even small bumps on on and off ramps at high speed have caused me to lose traction briefly where the P85+ doesn't on the same bumps. The P85+ is more compliant and handles better on imperfect roads.

I only have 3 weeks of P85+ driving but I was carefully comparing it to my P85D at nearly every moment.

Also, keep in mind that the P85D pre april had multiple revisions with different diameter sway bars front and rear between October 14 and March of 15.

I found that on smooth roads the P85D is fine but even small bumps on on and off ramps at high speed have caused me to lose traction briefly where the P85+ doesn't on the same bumps. The P85+ is more compliant and handles better on imperfect roads.

I only have 3 weeks of P85+ driving but I was carefully comparing it to my P85D at nearly every moment.

Also, keep in mind that the P85D pre april had multiple revisions with different diameter sway bars front and rear between October 14 and March of 15.

what kind of sway bar changes specifically?

I have a P85+ as noted below. I F-----g love this car! I really do. The only thing I have ever had to worry about is trashing my tires because there is so much torque going to only 2 wheels. My rear tires have never gotten past 10K mi. So that is a concern. But I bought a RWD because I really did want it after years of AWD. It's just plain fun. I have one of the rare AP1 P85+'s on the planet. Totally by the good graces of luck. The AP came completely free for about a month from late 9/14 to about 11/14 and I was in the window. Pretty much one of the first cars off the line, by chance.

I love this car. I love driving it every single day. I love that I have only seen two others like mine in 3 years (massages the ego!).

Get it.

I still have my P85+ from 2013. I love the drive and able to kick the tail out really controlled. Very confident in the turns. In terms of winter driving, don't worry, it is much better than expected if you swap out the tires for some snow tires. It is solid and perform a lot better than my wife's S5 in the snow! I'm amazed at the performance in a good pair of snow tires!

The P85+ seems like a sweet spot in the Tesla production line up for my needs. A step up in power from the lower 60, 75, 85 options, with the added suspension upgrades of the + that aren't available anymore on Model Ss.
@Nismo you are on to something here! You can tell from the feedback the + suspension is epic. That Tesla no longer provides it in any model makes these models unique and desirable. I recently had my P85+ out on a track for time trials. Clearly one of the best handling cars out there.

I am with @CHG-ON in the unique unicorn "300" club. A P85+ with AP1. Mine was built the last week of September 2014. P85+s were discontinued when Tesla announced the P85Ds mid-October 2014.
The performance suspension stayed on the early P85Ds into early 2015. But that was it. Look for build dates for P85+s from September 2014 on. VINs tend to be in the mid 5XXXX, but that is not absolute.

Check out the "300" group on this forum for the tracking of P85/+ s with AP1.

For what it is worth, I purchased a CPO P85 last year and absolutely LOVE the car. Debated upgrading the wheels to 21's but settled on chromed 19" slipstreams. They look great against the deep brown paint, and I always get great feedback at superchargers. A friend from CA was an early Tesla owner, and the only regret he has is the ride and tire wear with the 21's. Tire wear is tough no matter the wheel, but I have heard it is much worse with the larger wheel.

Just some food for thought, and maybe that's why so many more P85+ for sale on the CPO site than P85's. Good luck on any car you decide on, you will not be disappointed.