Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concidering CPO P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a cpo P85+ for 55K w/33k miles. The grey 21" turbines look awesome but the ride was a little too harsh for my taste, swapped them out for 19" wheels. I don't need AWD where I live so can't speak to that. I love the car, interior has a few rattles that I'm trying to find out an fix but those are minor. The huge frunk of the non AWD models is also a big plus for me. Depending on the month it was made auto folding mirrors and parking sensors were not options or available (correct me if i'm wrong). The car is really wide, when I get in my 328i or S2000 those cars feel puny now.

@Nismo you are on to something here! You can tell from the feedback the + suspension is epic. That Tesla no longer provides it in any model makes these models unique and desirable. I recently had my P85+ out on a track for time trials. Clearly one of the best handling cars out there.

I am with @CHG-ON in the unique unicorn "300" club. A P85+ with AP1. Mine was built the last week of September 2014. P85+s were discontinued when Tesla announced the P85Ds mid-October 2014.
The performance suspension stayed on the early P85Ds into early 2015. But that was it. Look for build dates for P85+s from September 2014 on. VINs tend to be in the mid 5XXXX, but that is not absolute.

Check out the "300" group on this forum for the tracking of P85/+ s with AP1.

ROCK ON with the P85+!!! I simply could not be happier. I do pay a sh-tload for rear tires. But the fun factor is worth every penny.

I'll buy a new MS at some point. But not until I have exhausted the fun factor I have now.

I bought a cpo P85+ for 55K w/33k miles. The grey 21" turbines look awesome but the ride was a little too harsh for my taste, swapped them out for 19" wheels. I don't need AWD where I live so can't speak to that. I love the car, interior has a few rattles that I'm trying to find out an fix but those are minor. The huge frunk of the non AWD models is also a big plus for me. Depending on the month it was made auto folding mirrors and parking sensors were not options or available (correct me if i'm wrong). The car is really wide, when I get in my 328i or S2000 those cars feel puny now.

I did the same. Installed 19inch tired on day 1 but went with michelin super sports. They are durable and offer much more grip than the primacy tires. As for winter, I really have no problem with the car's handling... I also live in Montréal where we get a lot of snow and my previous car was a Lexus RX350 (AWD). I don't miss the Lexus at all... you just need good winter tires.

Every time I get a loaner, I miss my car's handling...

I am a car freak and have owned many high performance cars (still have a couple of supercharged toys one for the track and the other for BAJA ). I built a replica of this car and it is one of the few ICE cars I still enjoy driving. My other toy is similar to this one

I've owned 3 model S's, you can't go wrong with a P85+, that's my current daily driver, I moved up from an early production 2013 P85 and love this S over all other Tesla's due to the driving dynamics (RWD, "M"esque suspension, and no techno auto-pilot gizmos), my wife has the current generation 90D with GEN1 AP, and it doesn't have the same sports car driving dynamics.

I was going to sell mine, but I'm way too attached and done lots upgrades that I can't get on a new S, (hitch, upgraded speakers and amp, upgraded lighting, soundproofing, adjustable rear camber links, upgraded lighting in frunk and trunk, 2 sets of PVD Black Chrome wheels (19" winters and 21" summer sports), MobileBatt LiPOFe 12volt battery, 1080P security cameras, aftermarket cup holders, clean sine wave power inverter for 120 volt in the frunk etc, etc.

I would only sell this for a reasonably priced P100D loaded (without the perforated seats and with real leather, etc)... the synthetic seats in the new ones are way to stiff for my skinny butt, and god knows what this does to the interior air quality. https://library.ul.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/40/2015/11/Vehicle-Interior-Air-Quality_final.pdf

I do like one of the new features in my wife's new 90D and that is the carbon air filter.

my next project is carbon fiber wrap black out on the chrome and front and rear fascia.

Get one, you will love this machine, smokes pretty much everything on the road from 0-60, and even the cars that it can't beat are mostly driven by tools who don't know how to shift/drive and you'll beat them too. Your only competition is really the P100D S & X. Everything else is a wanna be Tesla.

Another + owner chiming in. I love my car.

Do any of you have a functional "performance" mode selector easter egg? I never tried it until last week but it wasn't working for me. I wanted to drop the performance a bit when I gave it to a visiting friend to borrow but either I'm doing it wrong or we don't have it.

I feel lik etelling you is a tease if we never got it, but the regular P85 and other models have an easter egg where you can enter the code "performance" to lower your car's amp output to simulate other vehicles made by Tesla. So you can get S60 output, then dial it back to P85.

I am considering a used P85+. I came to this conclusion in that I wanted to get into a Tesla for a lower cost than new ownership and I have always been into the performance aspect of cars (grew up with modified 300ZX Turbos and currently a modded Audi B8 S4).
The P85+ seems like a sweet spot in the Tesla production line up for my needs. A step up in power from the lower 60, 75, 85 options, with the added suspension upgrades of the + that aren't available anymore on Model Ss.

Anyways, these are only my thoughts and what I could come up with. I'm asking you guys if I am missing any of the equation. After all, there are a lot of different model Ss to compare out there. Plus, each of those models probably have different things to keep an eye out for during daily use.

What are everyone's thoughts on the P85+, over other models, keeping in mind that a P85+ can be had for under $60k.

Are there any VIN ranges in the P85+ that offered different tweaks to the cars?
Did you end up getting the P85+?

If they didn't, it's time to get off the fence and do it! Also, it just happens that I put mine up for sale today! ;)
2013 Tesla Model S P85+ (Midwest)
20190811_205847.jpg