Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation & Bug in Taillight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it looks like I have the taillight issue. Is the only fix a trip to service center?

f2a3e8dd5d766140c42f279c766acb89.jpg

Not worth a trip just for this so I will probably wait until my 25K Mile service - was hoping their is a DIY fix.

Artsci mention in some thread that he has a DIY yourself for the condensation problem. Whether this would allow for removing the bug first, I don't know. You may want to PM him shoot him to this thread.

Either way, I agree. If the SvC is the only fix, I wouldn't do it until I have to go there for another reason anyways.

This is different from the longstanding issue with condensation behind the 'double' clear lens for the backup lights. There has been an engineering revision/new applique for about a month or 2 with an opening and no 2nd lens. Existing owners who have significant/recurrent issues can get the applique replaced.
Don't know about a major chronic issue with the taillight system.

Funny. I detailled my S yesterday, and my wife commented that the bug was still in the taillight.

Months ago we went back and forth whether it was dead or alive. So, dead.

She also asked about the condensation. I said it was fresh, as I just gave her a good wash.

That would be unacceptable and downright embarrassing for me. Have you asked service to replace?

No, for a couple of reasons. First of all, it only happens when it's really cold, and I suspect when the temperature drops rapidly. By the time I got it in to Service it would have cleared up. It usually doesn't last long. Secondly, I don't think there is a solution. The headlights can't be sealed and (probably) have a drain somewhere to allow any condensation that gets in there to drain out, and obviously ambient air to get in. As such, if ambient air with a certain level of humidity is present, then the temperature drops, the humidity is going to condense out and I don't think there is much you can do.