Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in B-pillar cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a few threads about this issue that I've found. It seems like Tesla SC just wants to replace the camera to deal with this.

Well, I have it now. Where the heck is moisture getting in there in the first place?

this thread has info from rangers that state why this occurs. its down to differences in cabin temp compared to outside temps. ive had the car since march and ive never had this issue but the temps are not on the extreems and i park in garages usually so the temps are the same.

B-pillar cameras fogging up?

Just a quick update: mobile service confirmed that, as long as it triggers alerts for blind spot monitoring and lane keeping features, condensation on the interior surface of the camera cover glass is not normal. They replaced both b-pillar cameras and covers under warranty today. They also mentioned that Tesla engineers are looking for a long-term solution as the issue has started to come up on a lot of cars.
The tech basically said he expects it to happen again, at least over time; replacing the cover is a temporary solution until a better design is in place. According to him, engineering is actively working on a redesign that would provide a better seal between the top portion of the camera enclosure and the glass applique. The parts that were replaced are 1109253-90-F and 109255-90-F. Interestingly, the parts catalog already shows what I think are later revisions for both: 1109253-00-G and 1109255-00-G.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173429-9999.pdf

thats an old fix but the last post in that thread i linked pretty much sums things up.

Reactions: grmdl3
Came across this thread as I was about to post.. so I just got the pillar block or dirty fault to find mine had condensation inside. Was the conclusion a service appointment would fix this ?? F13EEA14-6DAA-43AB-A2E7-32D3FBD9D169.jpeg

I’m waiting for a mobile service visit for my ‘20 M3 AWD, but I can tell you the company line. If your car was manufactured before March 2019, there is a service bulletin fix that involves removing a fabric patch behind the pillar cameras to allow better air circulation. If your car was made after that date, there’s no patch and no fix unless they find a hardware fault in the cameras.

Apparently one of the recent firmware updates made the pillar cams more sensitive to blockage by condensation, and cold weather made condensation more likely. Tesla service tried to tell me that disabling some AP and NoA features as a result was for my own safety!

When pressed, they admitted it’s a know issue and they’re working on a firmware fix. In the meantime, they suggest using the app to warm the car in advance of a drive and aiming the vents at the pillars.

Mobile tech just left. He found no hardware issues.

He said Tesla is aware it’s a common problem that has gotten worse recently because of a firmware update that made the pillar cameras more sensitive in an effort to better incorporate them in security and self-driving systems. When the pillar cams complain they can’t see — whether because of dirt, condensation, direct sun or rain — AP and NoA shut down to avoid a potential accident.

My garage-kept and pre-warmed ‘20 M3 has been acting up randomly in mid-drive on clear days with temps in the 40s, but apparently I have to live with it for the time being.

The tech says they’ve been told a firmware fix is on the way, but no ETA. (Insert appropriate cliche here.)

Don't see how there can be a firmware fix for a physical issue, unless they're doing corrective optics like they did with Hubble.

Seems to me that the way to fix it is a combination of improving the airflow through that area or sealing it up like double-glazed windows, and/or maybe putting some anti-fog treatment on the inside of the glass.

Hi! I received my M3P in early August of 2020. I have had this issue before and I had no clue how to address it - it was very annoying in the rain. I didn’t even bother reaching out to my local service center. I’ve had mixed experiences with them after delivery so at this point I try to avoid them as much as I can - everything seems to take forever to schedule and fairly expensive. They wanted $250 for mounting and balancing 4 new tires, $100 for replacing seat trim that came undone a few days after delivery, poor customer service etc. - anyways - I am sorry I am ranting.

What I came here to say was: I installed a noise reduction kit (I got it as a Xmas present don’t judge me, I know the car is quiet but apparently someone doesn’t and we’ll here we are) and my cameras haven’t fogged up since?! The kit literally wraps all 4 doors, (including A pillar and B pillars) frunk and trunk. I am not sure how much of an impact this has actually had regarding the issue mentioned on this thread but the fogging and condensation in my b pillar cameras has stopped. I used to have this issue specially when it would rain. I haven’t had it since I installed the kit. Again - I am not 100% sure if this is the reason but this has been the only physical update I’ve done to the car which seems to have address this issue. From what I can tell this wasn’t a “special” kit it seems like it’s any of the ones from Amazon - there was no label on it. I got the kit inside a shoe box from my dickhead coworker...”it was sooo funny” ( it wasn’t funny at all, I really wanted those shoes, but I guess I can’t complain if it fixed the foggy issue?! ) Idk 2021 is weird these cars can be weird but WE ARE SAVING THE PLANET