Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in door pillar over camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we had a ton of rain yesterday. Was out driving in it but then came home and put the car away for the night in the garage. This morning while driving to work I get an error message come up something to the effect of "Left door pillar camera is blocked or blinded". I thought maybe some dirt or something got on the outside so when I arrived at work I took a microfiber cloth out and got out to look what had happened. The camera was definitely obscured, but when I wiped over it with the cloth, I realized it was condensation on the inside of the glass cover.

I made an appointment for service (car is one week old), but got a text back saying that this is normal? Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what resolved it?

• Helpful
Reactions: JonMu
Had the same issue and message. Tesla responded that it's normal and expected in this area. I had it happen now on two different times with different raining conditions but driving about an hour in the rain each time. I commented in another thread that when FSD comes out, I wonder if the car will just pull over and wait until the sun comes out until the camera isn't blocked anymore. :p

If you scan through the Model 3 threads on this issue, since it's the same part, you'll find it's a common problem reported. Some people have had it replaced while others haven't. There is apparently some Gore-Tex flap in the housing that is there to allow moisture to breath out. Not 100% sure if this is still the case as Tesla continuously reengineers their parts and updates things as they go along.

I'll trust Tesla's decision to not replace the camera housing but will keep watching it as the four year warranty ticks down.

Reactions: Ynotelectric
So we had a ton of rain yesterday. Was out driving in it but then came home and put the car away for the night in the garage. This morning while driving to work I get an error message come up something to the effect of "Left door pillar camera is blocked or blinded". I thought maybe some dirt or something got on the outside so when I arrived at work I took a microfiber cloth out and got out to look what had happened. The camera was definitely obscured, but when I wiped over it with the cloth, I realized it was condensation on the inside of the glass cover.

I made an appointment for service (car is one week old), but got a text back saying that this is normal? Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what resolved it?
Yes we've had this issue (Southeast Alaska - rainforest) off and on since Dec 2020.