Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in front fog lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

exlatccatsa

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2020
Kemnay
I've seen threads about the rear lights misting up, but nothing about the front fog lights. Mine were unusable Friday and Saturday. I've booked a service request. Anyone else had this problem.?

Attachments

• 20201212_125412.jpg
    20201212_125412.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 564
  • 20201212_125404.jpg
    20201212_125404.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 529
The SC replaced both of mine but I think they had water slopping about in the bottom. Yours don’t look too much worse than the ‘normal’ rear light condition. Not sure why they should be unusable - they don’t do much anyway. My view on front fog lights is that they are mostly a fashion accessory. We almost never get the sort of fog that is so dense dipped headlights are unusable which is, I think, what fog lights were designed for.

Hi. I wondered whether Tesla indicated whether they were willing to replace your fog lights under warranty? My car also has this issue, hence I was wondering whether it is worth adding to the list of faults to be fixed.

View attachment 624062

They indicated that they thought it was normal however they offered me a service appointment in Edinburgh 2 1.2 hrs away which I initially accepted and then asked to be transferred to Aberdeen when it opens, which they agreed to.
I was out on Christmas day and also discovered moisture running down inside my headlights which I took a video of but haven't reported yet.
I was watching a very informative you tube video a couple of nights ago on moisture in the rear lights with a much easier fix than a SC visit.

I'll see if the same is true for the fog lights

• Helpful
Reactions: Andy718
Thank you exlatccatsa. Interesting but a little sad if it is necessary for us to remedy production issues!

Like yourself, I will add it to the list of issues for the SC to address and will see what they say.

All was well until recently. I had the nose cone resprayed for delivery scratches. The following morning, condensation in front fog lights. Co-incidence? Well a service centre visit is a half day, with nothing to do due to restrictions, I have not bothered.. If the rear lights start fogging up, then will put the whole lot on a ticket and off to the big city I go.

They indicated that they thought it was normal however they offered me a service appointment in Edinburgh 2 1.2 hrs away which I initially accepted and then asked to be transferred to Aberdeen when it opens, which they agreed to.
I was out on Christmas day and also discovered moisture running down inside my headlights which I took a video of but haven't reported yet.
I was watching a very informative you tube video a couple of nights ago on moisture in the rear lights with a much easier fix than a SC visit.

I'll see if the same is true for the fog lights
Great video, which also underlines how this should always be a warranty issue (whatever light it is) as it’s a clear failure at the point of manufacture.

Great video, which also underlines how this should always be a warranty issue (whatever light it is) as it’s a clear failure at the point of manufacture.

The trouble is they still haven't fixed the design of them. SC replaced one of my rear lights two months ago, it's now misting up and I know it will only get worse. So, I'm going to fix them myself as per the above video. At least they'll stay fixed that way.

Reactions: Durzel
I have condensation on the front left of my 2021 SR+ and scheduled an appointment. Before my appointment I was notified my appointment has been cancelled as the condensation is deemed "normal".
View attachment 626615

Hi, I could understand if it condensed and then cleared as the weather changed but mine never cleared hence asking for it to be dealt with.

p.s. If it was normal then surely both sides would do it. Infact, all 3's would do it.

I dug out a picture of mine pre-replacement (attached).

IMG_20200110_110450.jpg

Have a look for the condensation in rear lights thread. There is an excellent video posted a few months back that explains why condensation excessive can occur in the rear lights. It is absolutely clear that this is a result of a manufacturing defect and thus cannot be working as designed.

I would be pretty confident that the fog lights have a similar cause.

So unless Tesla want to argue that manufacturing defects on their vehicles are normal and acceptable and prepared to take the implications of that on their reputation, I really do not see they have any valid argument.

Hi, I could understand if it condensed and then cleared as the weather changed but mine never cleared hence asking for it to be dealt with.

p.s. If it was normal then surely both sides would do it. Infact, all 3's would do it.

I dug out a picture of mine pre-replacement (attached).

View attachment 626627

The photo by choncho could potentially be expected to clear, maybe, but your own example is a clear case for replacement.