Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in headlights - left light stays on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow Tesla owners,

I'm running into some problems with my model 3. After yesterday's rainstorm, there's a lot of condensation built up on my left headlight. It looks like water has gotten inside. The left headlight now stays on even when it's parked. I tried rebooting the system but I couldn't find a way to turn it off. Attached are some pics.

My app can no longer detect my car's location after this has happened.

I booked a service appointment in Vancouver W 4th location but the earliest is more than 3 weeks away. Any advice what to do?

Attachments

• IMG_20190822_204902__01.jpg
    IMG_20190822_204902__01.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_20190822_224008.jpg
    IMG_20190822_224008.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 226
  • Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Hi fellow Tesla owners,

I'm running into some problems with my model 3. After yesterday's rainstorm, there's a lot of condensation built up on my left headlight. It looks like water has gotten inside. The left headlight now stays on even when it's parked. I tried rebooting the system but I couldn't find a way to turn it off. Attached are some pics.

I booked a service appointment in Vancouver W 4th location but the earliest is more than 3 weeks away. Any advice what to do?
Not much to do other than wait for the appointment. Probably by then the condensation will have evaporated, so take pictures and videos. Strange why condensation in the light would cause it to stay on though. The wiring feeding the light would need to have current running through it, and that won't be controlled from within the light so that's an odd one. My best guess is not being able to see your cars location is more related to that, but I'm certainly no expert.

You could try calling the service center to have them push your time up or offer other suggestions over the phone possibly?

Good luck and keep us posted here in case others have similar experiences.

Keep it plugged in when not driving will help with the constant drain until they change the headlight for you. Both times the signature strip was out with my earlier build 3 the SC ordered new headlights for it prior to the appointment. Possibly check with the SC as well to see if they stock them? Might save an extra appointment.

Thanks for all the advice, guys! I was able to reach the mobile service advisor directly and they have replaced the headlights yesterday. Very impressed with the speed of the mobile service team!

The Vancouver delivery team, on the other hand, has yet to confirm an appointment with me on the paint touch-ups that was approved back in June...

Same same.. first week of ownership it started with a bit of headlight condensation then light stayed on a couple days then just died completely. Took them three weeks to replace my. Headlight. In my driveway though which was cool! Whole front bumper had to come off.
Guess they can’t say it’s an isolated failure anymore.
Front Driver Side Headlight Failure - Anyone had this issue before?

Same left side as the OP? Looks like a bad batch from their supplier.

Reactions: 03DSG
I have condensation in the Fog lamps, common error. Mississauga SC claims that those lights are vented and connected to the heating system to keep them from freezing. I call BS as others have had them replaced and no more fogging in the US.

I have condensation in the Fog lamps, common error. Mississauga SC claims that those lights are vented and connected to the heating system to keep them from freezing. I call BS as others have had them replaced and no more fogging in the US.
Got the same response about the fog lights. They admitted that from my pictures the condensation residue in the headlights does not look normal though.

Thanks for all the advice, guys! I was able to reach the mobile service advisor directly and they have replaced the headlights yesterday. Very impressed with the speed of the mobile service team!

The Vancouver delivery team, on the other hand, has yet to confirm an appointment with me on the paint touch-ups that was approved back in June...
So they removed your bumper to install the new headlight just with mobile service? I have this on my Model Y which I just got 3 weeks ago. I'm nervous about them taking apart my new car.

I had condensation in my right pillar camera and was told that it as well as condensation in the tail lights were normal as that is how it was built.

On delivery I had the passenger window replaced due to a scratch and I can’t help but think when they put the cover back on the pillar it resulted in a poor seal creating the condensation. The mobile tech noted it was normal and not to be surprised if it happened to the tail lights. Hmm

So they removed your bumper to install the new headlight just with mobile service? I have this on my Model Y which I just got 3 weeks ago. I'm nervous about them taking apart my new car.
No need to be nervous about the replacement. I have a very early LR 3 that had the LED signature light failure issue. Had 2 drivers side headlights replaced and 1 passenger side. New part # versions were installed each time. The last one was done by mobile service in my garage. Took about 1/2 hour. Minimal disassembly required. You can watch as well.

Took it over to a dark school parking lot that night and adjusted the alignment slightly using just using the touchscreen control under service. Lowered the new one a bit to line up with the other one. Just point the car at a brick wall on a reasonably level surface. Super easy to do.

That is bizarre. I am not convinced that issue is related to the headlight issue.
they have replaced the headlights yesterday.
Both headlights?

And immediately after that replacement does your Tesla app now show your car’s location, yet continued not to show its location right up to the replacement?

Reactions: Vawlkus
No need to be nervous about the replacement. I have a very early LR 3 that had the LED signature light failure issue. Had 2 drivers side headlights replaced and 1 passenger side. New part # versions were installed each time. The last one was done by mobile service in my garage. Took about 1/2 hour. Minimal disassembly required. You can watch as well.

Took it over to a dark school parking lot that night and adjusted the alignment slightly using just using the touchscreen control under service. Lowered the new one a bit to line up with the other one. Just point the car at a brick wall on a reasonably level surface. Super easy to do.
Thanks. Last time I brought my car to my local SC, they damaged my car in multiple areas. I'm trying to avoid going to the SC now if at all possible and would much rather have mobile service.