TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Condensation In Left Pillar Camera

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by fishheavy99, Jan 1, 2020.

1. fishheavy99

fishheavy99 Member

Has anyone experienced condensation in the b pillar camera? I’m getting a message saying left pillar camera is blocked, when I check its got condensation it which I can’t wipe away as its on the inside.

• Like x 1
  2. cassiopeia

cassiopeia Member

Yes. I have both a Model S 100D and a P3D. In both cars I’ve had the warning come up about something obstructing the pillar camera only to find that it is condensation on the inside of the pillar camera compartment. Since it has happened on both cars, I fear it is a design issue that will always show up in humid months. It is unfortunate because it limits FSD and safety features. I hope they can find a fix.
    -r

• Like x 1
  3. Sclew

Sclew Member

Yep. Got the same issue today.

4. Cowby

Cowby S E X C R

Same here....dorky mobile tech said it’s not a defect so can’t replace...really?....I asked him what if it was a dead bug blocking the camera from properly operating? He said yes....then I told him an “obstruction is an obstruction”, no matter what it is....he just stared at me dumbfounded and said that’s Tesla’s answer to the problem....love my S,E,X, but service is indeed getting worse and worse now.

5. T_E_S_L_A

T_E_S_L_A Member

Just got the warning now. Sure enough...condensation at my right B pillar :mad::(

6. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Active Member

Same...specially going back and forth from the garage at 6c to outside -10 to -20...every single time...

7. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

In my X, I never had it on any cameras in over 3 years, except one time recently the front camera gave me a notification. After 15 minutes later it worked ok. It was on the inside not able to wipe away. Maybe not much condensation. Could have just been a little fogged up inside.

8. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

I started getting the condensation in the left pillar camera last week. Took a while for it to clear while the car was parked in the sun.....

9. Ev_Rider

Ev_Rider Member

Brand new M3 - Just happened to me today both left and right pillar camera - fogged up condensation inside. WTF, eh?

10. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Mine is going in on Monday to check on both pillar cameras due to the condensation....

11. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Active Member

I went to the service center a couple days ago and asked about the camera issue.
    The answer : All the 3s do that, there is no fix for it.

Well, until this issue is dealt with, there will be no autonomous cars.
    (Who wants to ride in a blind car ?)

• Like x 1
  12. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

For those with the issue, can you look at the B pillar and tell me if you see something similar in the video? I have the issue with the right one, and I noticed that the surface looks matte, but on the left B pillar (which does not have the issue) looks clear. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but it is just something that I've observed.

13. Mike_TV

Mike_TV Member

This is happening, multiple times now that it's raining, with my Model Y. I was told that this is normal and it wasn't going to be fixed.