Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in rear lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rooster6655

May 3, 2019
UK
Anyone have this problem of model 3 rear side lights having condensation inside them, I know someone said it should go away after 15m but think that was a fob off from Tesla

Worth checking if this happens to your rear lights

I had this issue in one of mine, but it is a relatively early one: VIN 29xxx, in Canada. After persisting for a month I called the service centre and they sent out the mobile ranger to fix it in my parking lot at work. It was considered warranty work and was done at no charge to me. Great service!

Reactions: Rooster6655
Me too! Told it’s not a sealed unit so unless water droplets it’s fine. Still gonna take it in for check

Attachments

• D6322473-0DB6-42E8-B0ED-B851FF0D6CDB.jpeg
    D6322473-0DB6-42E8-B0ED-B851FF0D6CDB.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 1,119
Anyone have this problem of model 3 rear side lights having condensation inside them, I know someone said it should go away after 15m but think that was a fob off from Tesla

Worth checking if this happens to your rear lights

Yes, This has been an issue mostly in the tail lights. Just make a service appointment to have it replaced. Take a picture to attach to your service request as well.

I had this in the left tail light of my Jan 2019 build and the mobile service tech came out. Took him about 20 minutes to replace the light.

You may also notice the front fog light get condensation in them as well but these will dry out on their own.

I raised the issue of condensation in rear (M3) light units with Service Centre yesterday.

I was told that unless at least 50% of the light unit was covered in condensation an hour after driving Tesla would not consider it to be a faulty light unit and therefore would not be replaced.

Had my car booked in to fix the condensation in the rear lights. I made the appointment over a month ago but today received a text from Tesla to say it was within limits. Or words to that effect.

I'm dissatisfied tbh. It's not bad but it's both lights and has been there constantly pretty much such I got the car 2 months ago. I was hoping/assuming they would've quibble and just sort it. Anyone else had this ?

I raised the issue of condensation in rear (M3) light units with Service Centre yesterday.

I was told that unless at least 50% of the light unit was covered in condensation an hour after driving Tesla would not consider it to be a faulty light unit and therefore would not be replaced.

Well I think 50% is OTT and I condensation is really going to mess with the viewing of the lights, I can understand waiting an hour after into a drive before its classed as an issue but 50% is obviously them trying to not replace anything!

Exactly. It's a made up number I guess. I also suspect it's a common 'fault' which is keeping them busy. Too busy perhaps. Why should we accept any ? Do all new cars experience this ? I doubt it.

Had my car booked in to fix the condensation in the rear lights. I made the appointment over a month ago but today received a text from Tesla to say it was within limits. Or words to that effect.

I'm dissatisfied tbh. It's not bad but it's both lights and has been there constantly pretty much such I got the car 2 months ago. I was hoping/assuming they would've quibble and just sort it. Anyone else had this ?

Was it still there after driving for an hour?

I did a 4hr journey and it was still there so the lights had time to heat up!

Same issue. Right Is worse than left. Was told by Tesla that there needs to be water inside, not just condensation to replace. Mobile tech is coming tomorrow so I'll push them again. Unacceptable on a £50k car and tbh, it is a really bad advert for them. Makes the car look like an old banger.