Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in rear lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed it also on my drivers side rear lights.

If one side does it and the other does not clearly there is an issue that years down the line will cause an issue.

A combination of the clear lights, condensation, not a sealed unit and LEDs not creating much heat causes this and it is not going away with a replacement of another 'not sealed' unit.

It doesn't look good but doesn't really affect the functionality of the lights so that they don't work, I'm not saying its right but they are only going to replace the unit with another unit that will more than likely have the same issue.

Any evidence that this could be part caused by fitting rather than fitting?

My left side was all set to be replaced at a service visit, but I had no word, or paperwork showing that it had - time ran out/items added and not everything got sorted so I have a follow up appointment. However, they did replace charge port flap as part of that visit, adjacent to the offending item.

Since then, that side does not have the water droplet problem that I have noticed, although drivers side does now have permanent water droplets, so hopefully will be sorted at follow up visit.

So this makes me wonder that in process of changing charge port flap, they 'attended to' the fitment of the offending light cluster.

I'd worry about my lights showing condensation like this, but I'm slightly more concerned that my boot lid fills with water every time it rains, which on reading elsewhere seems to be rear light fitting related.

For Tesla's next trick, they can try making a waterproof car. My charge port also leaks water into the inside of the car.

Hopefully these will both be sorted on my SC appointment but it's kinda annoying.

I've got a service appointment booked for this issue but the SC is over an hour and a half away from me. is there any way to see if they'd be able to change the light fitting on my driveway rather than me having to do a three hour round trip?

Is that what happened to you @Obliter8 ?

The fantastic Andy, my local Ranger came out yesterday and changed the condensation light in about 2 minutes! Definitely raise a ticket.

WTH?!? See, every time I decide I'm about to pull the trigger on an order, I see something like this and it puts me right off! This is truly unacceptable for a £50k+ car!

Whats worse is that they do not get back to you about problems, they just ignore you completely, I'm still waiting now nearly 4 months for first day delivery issues to be fixed. They also claim that my condensation is normal so...

Whats worse is that they do not get back to you about problems, they just ignore you completely, I'm still waiting now nearly 4 months for first day delivery issues to be fixed. They also claim that my condensation is normal so...
This has not been my experience. I've had two ranger visits now, and a trip to Drayton SC which I didn't prebook. On each booking, it's taken longer than I would have liked, but the job has got done quickly, politely and efficiently on the day.

I've got a service appointment booked for this issue but the SC is over an hour and a half away from me. is there any way to see if they'd be able to change the light fitting on my driveway rather than me having to do a three hour round trip?

Is that what happened to you @Obliter8 ?
Yes, the Ranger came to my house. I didn't choose that, I was assigned him by Tesla

I have had badly fogged tail lights since shortly after delivery last August. SC visit in October agreed to change them and I’ve heard nothing from Tesla since. I booked a subsequent SC visit for them to be fitted in January and this was cancelled by Tesla as the parts were “still on order”. Tesla simply don’t care....
I also have repeated multiple camera misting failures, again reported to Tesla, again no action to resolve.
As a relatively early adopter I can accept some niggles - but I cannot accept poor follow up customer service to resolve.
Pictures of the lights today.
B7E38C90-DB1C-4926-9383-094F463B0DCD.jpeg

Attachments

• 21273251-C77F-43CC-AC08-DF7D88A0748B.jpeg
    21273251-C77F-43CC-AC08-DF7D88A0748B.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 38
Both of my rear lights are often misted up, even after a long drive. Did a four hour trip a week or so ago and both were badly misted up when we got home.

I have a SC appointment on 22nd January, so may see if I can get them fixed then.

Not sure if the misting I'm seeing all the time qualifies under the criteria in that video or not. Seems odd that it's there even after a long drive. These were the photos I took within ten minutes of arriving home from a four hour trip:

upload_2020-1-8_10-52-56.png