Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in rear lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to add to the ever growing list of complaints about this..

My 2019 SR+ has had condensation in the passenger side-inside tail light, and the driver side outside tail light ever since I bought it last August. My initial googling told me that I wouldn't get it fixed under warranty unless a certain amount of water was in the tail lamp. I finally got bored of looking at the sad looking lights out of my home office window yesterday (back of the car is about 6 feet from my face) and booked a service. Lo and behold Tesla are fixing it for nothing, mobile ranger coming to my house on Wednesday.

I'm now questioning why I didn't just get on with it and book the repair in sooner! Hopefully the replacement units are watertight.

I'm now questioning why I didn't just get on with it and book the repair in sooner! Hopefully the replacement units are watertight.

From reading many experiences I would say it is luck of the draw whether the replacement will be just a bit better or a complete solution. They all have a Goretex patch to allow the light unit to breathe but some units appear to be less well sealed along the seams so allow more water inside in the first place. There is a very good Youtube video of how to resolve the problem permanently if you ever have to give up on Tesla service. It's interesting to watch:

Last edited:
I had both my outer ones replaced, and it hasn't come back. It is pot luck though, as said above. I am not convinced the manufacturing process has changed whatsoever, you just have to hope that you're lucky enough to get replacement ones without leaks.

That being said, it is easy to remove the rear lights (one connector) so if you want to be certain that it is fixed you can seal them up yourself, per the video above.

Reactions: OUTATIME1
When my car was brand new, 12months ago the rear lights fogged up inside from condensation occasionally. Service centre said its normal. Had the same problem in November and again service centre said it’s normal and acceptable.
They always dry out but when it’s cold and wet they do mist badly.
Couple of days ago stopped by Traffic Police and they said the light from both my rear lights was blurry and unacceptable. I explained history, they were totally reasonable but politely said “get them fixed”.
Service centre contacted, let’s see !

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
When my car was brand new, 12months ago the rear lights fogged up inside from condensation occasionally. Service centre said its normal. Had the same problem in November and again service centre said it’s normal and acceptable.
They always dry out but when it’s cold and wet they do mist badly.
Couple of days ago stopped by Traffic Police and they said the light from both my rear lights was blurry and unacceptable. I explained history, they were totally reasonable but politely said “get them fixed”.
Service centre contacted, let’s see !

I think I would have asked for some kind of letter/official notice from the police to hand to Tesla so they have no argument.

You'd probably then get a vehicle defect notice with two weeks to get it fixed and find the service centre couldn't book you an appointment for a month!
Exactly, yes officer, no officer etc etc.
Then if Tesla Ranger doesn’t want to sort them out perhaps they can provide a “fit fit purpose” notice.
Photos taken approximately 4hrs after arriving home, when pulled it was probably about double. Completely clear again now.

Attachments

• A8C0EB2D-44D8-4A6A-9F7A-CF99ABE6C8B0.jpeg
    A8C0EB2D-44D8-4A6A-9F7A-CF99ABE6C8B0.jpeg
    634.6 KB · Views: 94
  • F70FC3C5-ADD7-442E-B976-CF63BA8D71B3.jpeg
    F70FC3C5-ADD7-442E-B976-CF63BA8D71B3.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 68
I am surprised that Tesla have been continuing to replace these fogged up lights without rectifying the problem at source and sealing all the new lights with tape over the edge seal. It would only take a minute or so before the replacement light is installed.
I'm one of the lucky ones as after two years they have only had a negligble amount of moisture in them at worst and are still dry now but will remove them at some stage and run tape or sealent around the welded seal.

Reactions: Durzel
I had both mine replaced. The replacement ones are better, but not perfect. They get very mildly fogged in certain conditions but nothing like that.

There is definitely a way to fix these lights, by simply sealing them properly. As said above it's strange that Tesla keep selling them "as is" but I guess some are better than others and as long as it clears up after a while they can carry on saying that "they're all like that".

It comes down to: How much to fix the problem on all new lights coming out of the factory vs. how much to fix it in the field for the relatively small number of complaints.
Bearing in mind Tesla don't make the light units, so they don't have full control over the manufacturing process anyway.

Reactions: Durzel
It comes down to: How much to fix the problem on all new lights coming out of the factory vs. how much to fix it in the field for the relatively small number of complaints.
Bearing in mind Tesla don't make the light units, so they don't have full control over the manufacturing process anyway.

So they should find another supplier. Took delivery of my 2022 M3P this Saturday and my passenger tails fog up like crazy. Scheduled an appointment and it's a month out lol. If it's reasonable enough a cop pulls you for them cause they are useless at night it's a serious enough defect for lemon law in most states if the service center is a month out.

It had been raining so car was wet when I collected it this morning but otherwise seemed fine. Just noticed that there is a bit of condensation in the rear right light cluster. Has anybody else experienced this and does it dry out OK or should I report to Tesla as an issue? The sun has come out now and it is the corner of the car facing the sun.

IMG_0878.jpg

If it doesn't clear for a month and gets more significant build up of water then raise a service call. They will replace if needed. I had a mobile service come to mine when it wouldn't clear after a while. But some condensation should go on it's own after a while.

If you're concerned as it's a recent collection then raise a request, can't hurt. At least it's on record then.

That amount is normal, sadly (because it looks a bit crap). It’ll clear up. Tesla will only replace these if there are visible water droplets in them.

They can fall over time. I had two replacements quite early into ownership and was told they were a new design (they aren’t), and just recently had to have one of them replaced again.