Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in rear lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of mine has always been full of condensation. Just thought it was due to where the car was parked (sun only hits that side) but actually looks like the boot is misaligned slightly and has been crushing the light - the seal looks like it’s been squeezed! There’s even a line of damaged paint and rust developing 😯 . Hard to spot as it’s up in the air when the boots open.

Time for some fun seeing if they’ll accept that as a warranty claim!

A regular occurrence never to be solved until they put heaters with all the cameras (as well as a washing system to keep mud off and a solution to low sun). Welcome to FSD...
I don't think I've ever seen condensation affecting any camera other than the B pillar camera(s) so a simple design change is all that should be necessary for that particular issue. The windscreen camera is the only one with a heater at the moment AFAIK.

..never got back in, driven off then had to stop to clean mud and ice off?
I get mud up the side of the car but I'm not aware of it affecting the B pillar cameras to any great extent ... unlike the rear camera which needs to be wiped before every drive in muddy conditions! TBH I so rarely use Autopilot I barely pay attention to the "camera blinded" messages which invariably are the B pillars but that's mostly due to sun or total darkness.

It's that time of the year again, but I've long given up having them replaced. I use to report it and I've had every single external light changed now, including the fronts, due to heavy condensation.

Even replacements eventually have the same issue, none are sealed.

I now just use a hair dryer to gently clear them up.

Had someone flash at me today due to the condensation, they thought my tail lights were faulty. I'll repeat my repair trick again tomorrow.

I just need to carry this through to springtime.

I have noticed that putting a wet charging cable into the boot doesn't help, they usually get condensation inside the outer taillights after that. Use the frunk is better.

I noticed when putting in my request once again for another DL Taillight that is fogging up awfully that it prompts me to answer "Does it go away within an hour of driving", I need to go now drive for an hour and verify it goes away? I sent a photo and it was approved for warranty replacement. At arrival it's now "Normal operating" and they won't replace it. They then told me that all tail-lights do this while I've got other vehicles at home brand new with zero issues and even an 04' Neon that has original tail lights that don't fog.

I had the lights of my ‘21 M3LR done after about 6 months - warranty job and then no issues for the following 12 months before I sold it. Ranger said they were a new version so wouldn’t fog up! I now call complete bullshit on that as I assume my new Sept 22 M3P has the ‘new version’ and they’re completely crap - nearly fully fogged up at the first sign of rain. Just waiting for the next downpour to take photos and get them replaced. I reckon it’s pot luck if you get a decent set or not, with the chances being quite high of some leaky ones straight from the factory.

It's that time of the year again, but I've long given up having them replaced. I use to report it and I've had every single external light changed now, including the fronts, due to heavy condensation.

I have noticed that putting a wet charging cable into the boot doesn't help, they usually get condensation inside the outer taillights after that. Use the frunk is better.
I get the same whenever we have wet coats or towels from the dogs in the boot - putting them in the front as you say does make sense.
I'm not overly fussed about it as it does go away after a few dry days and is a long way from the Ford Capri I once had - I could have kept goldfish in the rear lights and remember having to drill through the boot floor to let the water out.

Reactions: SteelmanMFC
Thanks, I had seen this when the video was first released as it's been discussed for many years now. They would never become airtight even with this hack.

My trick works well enough for me.
The aim isn't to make them airtight, it's to seal the cracks where water from rain and washing enter the unit. If there's too much water in there it won't be able to escape through the Goretex patch as moisture.

I sealed mine over a year ago and they have never fogged up since. Goretex patch is doing it's thing the way it was intended.

With the B-pillar cameras the problem was that moisture couldn't escape quickly enough through the Goretex patch in the camera housing, so the fix was to remove the patch and then use climate & AC to push dry warm air through the housing and clear the moisture that way.

Reactions: MrT3
The aim isn't to make them airtight, it's to seal the cracks where water from rain and washing enter the unit. If there's too much water in there it won't be able to escape through the Goretex patch as moisture.

I sealed mine over a year ago and they have never fogged up since. Goretex patch is doing it's thing the way it was intended.

With the B-pillar cameras the problem was that moisture couldn't escape quickly enough through the Goretex patch in the camera housing, so the fix was to remove the patch and then use climate & AC to push dry warm air through the housing and clear the moisture that way.

I'm not convinced, as I've noticed a definite trend of damp items in the boot and fogging up of the taillights. So there is a path for condensation to enter from inside. Mine have been replaced and the latest set never get condensation inside from heavy rain anymore, so better sealing indeed fixes that scenario.

Good that it's fixed your use case through.

I'm not convinced, as I've noticed a definite trend of damp items in the boot and fogging up of the taillights. So there is a path for condensation to enter from inside. Mine have been replaced and the latest set never get condensation inside from heavy rain anymore, so better sealing indeed fixes that scenario.

Good that it's fixed your use case through.
Not convinced by what? I have had this issue with both Model 3s we own. Both had fogged taillights until I sealed them as per the video posted above.
I find water gets in the boot after a lot of rain (seems to get into the boot lid somehow and then into the boot itself) so it's damp in there quite often, but I still get no fogging.

Thanks, I had seen this when the video was first released as it's been discussed for many years now. They would never become airtight even with this hack.

My trick works well enough for me.
I had so much condensation that the perimeter lighting gave out (blinker light in tact though).
I will apply the Liquid Tape when my part arrives… thank you for this recommendation!

Had them both replaced 18 months ago. They are back this week to replace them again.

164DDF9B-D85A-4DC2-AD9A-CCC1FD809E11.jpeg