Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in tail lights verdict??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many people have this issue and do most service centers replace the tail light? Over the phone they told me it;'s "Normal" and has a hole so the moisture will always clear up... Yet my right tail light doesn't do it, so i'm unsure how it's normal when one does it and one doesn't.. It looks awful and pretty embarrassing on a brand new car. I was just curious what everyone service center said to you guys about it.

Attachments

• IMG_8621.jpg
    IMG_8621.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 4,427
Mine is getting replaced tomorrow. I have had moisture in my passenger side taillight for two weeks. I had the same issue with two model 3s. Once replaced the issue did not return. Just tell them their has been moisture for several days. They will say 2-3 days is normal.

I think Tesla needs to tweak the design of the taillights. I understand they say they have “holes” and they will dry out but this is unacceptable. It isn’t consistent from car to car or from left to right tailgate for that matter. I’ve owned over 20 some vehicles and I’ve never had one that gets water in a tail light like I’ve seen on this forum.

Last edited:
I identified this issue with my car on delivery day. Tesla agreed to replace it at a future service appointment, which they did. I haven't noticed the issue with the new taillight they replaced. They also realigned my rear trunk (even though I personally didn't notice an alignment issue; they'd flagged it at the service center and called my attention to it on delivery day).

How many people have this issue and do most service centers replace the tail light? Over the phone they told me it;'s "Normal" and has a hole so the moisture will always clear up... Yet my right tail light doesn't do it, so i'm unsure how it's normal when one does it and one doesn't.. It looks awful and pretty embarrassing on a brand new car. I was just curious what everyone service center said to you guys about it.
I saw this same thing with MYs sitting on the lot at my local SC. Even the demo unit had condensation and reps didnt seem too concerned.

If you're the type that doesn't mine investing a tiny bit of time and money to fix one of Tesla's shortcomings, buy some black Sugru:

Sugru Mouldable Glue Black

Then form it into a Play-doh like snake and cover the plastic seam on the top of the headlight assembly that you see when you open the trunk. If you want to go all way, release the taillight to do to the entire seam.

Problem solved forever, because that's where the water gets in.

Replacing with a new light may or may not mean the new one will do it again.

Last edited:
My tail lights were full of moisture and it went to tesla today after they ordered the parts. After inspection tesla said that the moisture was within spec and they didn't change the tail lights. Pure joke a d a waste of a day for me. This is not right

When I picked up my new Model Y in Fremont late last month I noticed a bit of condensation in the left taillight. I walked around to look at some other nearby Model Y vehicles that were awaiting delivery and noticed they all had the problem. I haven't noticed it since then.