Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conditioning battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has probably been covered somewhere, but I can't find a thread about it or the thread I originally saw it suggested.

It was mentioned that charging to 100% every few months was good to ensure that all cells knew their max capacity and charging and usage would be more even. I don't remember the technical explanation they gave, but it seemed to make some sense.

Is this still something that is recommended?

If I have learned anything around here, asking that question is like starting a debate on religion :)

This is just me but I wouldn't charge to 100% every couple of months just for balancing. The car may not be able to accurately calculate the range (plus or minus a few percent) but you won't loose any actual range. I am of the believe that charging to 100% (especially in the summer heat) is not all that great for the pack.

Just my two cents.

This has probably been covered somewhere, but I can't find a thread about it or the thread I originally saw it suggested.

It was mentioned that charging to 100% every few months was good to ensure that all cells knew their max capacity and charging and usage would be more even. I don't remember the technical explanation they gave, but it seemed to make some sense.

Is this still something that is recommended?

Since there are so many new owners joining the family, it wouldn't hurt to summarize some key takeaways from the many threads and posts on the topic:

- Don't hang out at the extremes for very long (0% and 100%)
- Charge as much as you like to 100%, but start drawing it down soon after charging reaches top
- Similarly, charge up soon after reaching bottom
- If you don't plan to drive the car for a week or longer, keep charge level in the med-high range (e.g. 60 to 80%)
- If you think you have lost some max range, charge to 90% or slightly higher for 2 to 3 weeks
- Most importantly, don't sweat it and enjoy your new toy

Safe Harbor Statement

- I am not a battery expert, just an avid reader of the posts here at TMC. The above are just common themes from many posts.
- I use the above approach and my 2 year old, classic Model S with B vintage battery and 20,000 miles charges to a max rated range of 261 miles (new it was 265). It had dropped as low as 257, but the 90% tip seemed to improve the range for me.
- How long is "very long" or "soon after" for hanging out at the extremes? Who really knows?? I would think several hours is OK, but not days.
- All of the above may be taken with a grain of salt because each firmware update may be messing with our heads
- And don't forget to enjoy your car

Thanks for the info. I should have named the thread balancing the battery since that was what I was really after. I charged to 100% and let it sit at the charger to balance and my 90% rated range went from 226 to 228 and it took about 35 minutes after the countdown finished before it was completely done. So that pretty much answers the question I have if it does anything.

I have learned to follow the advice that I have seen here. I used to to worry about it, but now I don't. The car seems to be just fine. I think a 1-2-3 mi change in stated range is insignificant and probably doesn't affect real word world performance because there are so many variables when we are driving: temp, wind, speed, traffic, A/C, etc.

Much more important to me to remember to PLUG HER IN AT NIGHT!!! I've screwed myself twice by being a bonehead in that area. It's rather embarrassing to miss a biz meeting because I forgot to charge.