Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conditioning for cold weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I didn’t think the Model 3 had a dedicated battery heater? AFAIK it only uses waste heat from the drivetrain to heat the battery. So preheating isn’t possible.
Yes and no. It doesn't have a separate battery heater but it is possible to get drive train "waste" heat without turning the motors and thus warm the battery if they wanted to do that. AFAIK the only times they do that, however, are when either charging the battery or when preparing to charge the battery. Thus the only way I know of to prewarm the battery is to have it charging just before departure.

It could be. The first section of my 12 mile drive is a 1 mile downhill. I don't want to waste all that nice regen

You will probably use more energy warming the battery in advance than you will gain from the regen energy of the downhill. Just turn on the car heat a few minutes before you leave to warm the interior. How long it takes will depend on how cold your car is... Do you park inside or outside?

The Stats for Tesla app allows to you do a smart reset on the charging limit that you can time for before you leave. This get the car charging again till just before you leave, even if it had already reached the charge limit earlier. It then resets the limit back to the original. Works by saving your settings on the cloud, so doesn't need your phone - only to get it set the first time.

You will probably use more energy warming the battery in advance than you will gain from the regen energy of the downhill. Just turn on the car heat a few minutes before you leave to warm the interior. How long it takes will depend on how cold your car is... Do you park inside or outside?
Outside, and my intention is to try to automate it to be warm for 7:15 we tend to leave and pack around that time. then just unhook wind up and go,

do I do that on the app or via teslafi or other?

Outside, and my intention is to try to automate it to be warm for 7:15 we tend to leave and pack around that time. then just unhook wind up and go,

do I do that on the app or via teslafi or other?
You can do that in Teslafi. The app only allows one setting for a timed charge and even then only for the start of charging. Teslafi scheduling let's you do lots of things, starting and stopping at preset times.

Can you use Teslafi with another app or the built in timer. I want to charge in my cheap electricity window overnight, then top up before leaving, so have warm cabin and possibly a warmer battery, as car is outside on drive. Not sure the best way to go about this?

Yeah, in TeslaFi you can set a schedule which controls the charge limit and when charging starts and stops, muiltiple times a day if you want. Also set a schedule to turn on HVAC and set temperature

Do it all in TeslaFi

In the car you can set a charge limit and schedule when it starts (only, can't schedule it to stop charging at a certain time)

e.g.

schedule.png