Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conditions for the auto-presenting door to auto-close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually keep my keys in my pocket when I'm at home and so I'm frequently triggering the auto-presenting front door when doing stuff in my garage without any intention of getting into the car. Sometimes the door eventually closes on its own and sometimes it does not. Last week it happened while my car was parked in my driveway and I didn't notice. The door was still open the next morning, which is very bad because I live in Seattle where we have a phenomenon that we can rain.

I mentioned this to the service center and they seemed to think it was normal. The tech that I talked to said that if you don't sit down in the car then the auto-presented door will never close at all, but I'm pretty sure that's not right.

Has anyone figured out exactly what triggers the door to auto-close?

Locking the car should trigger auto-close and lock. If the fob was far enough away, you would think auto-lock would be processed but it would matter what triggered the auto-open!

I’ve opened a door by mistake and then while in another car backing away had walk away auto-lock work correctly. But your case depends on why it opened.

If it’s a case of the fob is ‘sorta’ in range, the car may never lock and you need to be sure it’s out of range. I use a faraday pouch for the spare fob that’s close by in the kitchen that can ‘reach’ the car through the garage wall.

The FOB is Bluetooth, so it connects to the Tesla anytime it is close. It is not a matter of intent, or initiating a button. If bothersome in your circumstances, to the the settings and turn off "auto present door". I always do so when washing the X, since I don't want to inadvertently rinse the interior. If you wish to test the Bluetooth distance press the Frunk open from your kitchen, it will most likely open. So if in the driveway and the doors will operate, then your FOB's "resting" place is too close. Also, be aware of the location of the 2nd FOB. I moved mine from a cabinet near the garage to the bedroom on the other side of the house. Additionally, if the FOB remains too close and remains connected to your X, the battery in the FOB will fail prematurely.

All to say the location of the FOB is something one needs to be aware.

I had an situation where I parked in a parking lot and as I walked away I placed the fob in my pocket. My car auto locks, so I wasn't concerned about clicking the fob to lock the car. When I returned to the car about 1/2 hour later I discovered one of the falcon wing doors was wide open. I apparently activated the door as I placed the fob in my pocket, and because I assumed the car would be locking itself as I walked away I didnt bother to even look back. What a shock, and fortunately, nobody messed with the car while I was away. Im just glad I wasn't going for the day.

I now have changed my process, and I always click the fob to lock the car before walking away, and look back. Im totally impressed with all the technological advancements on cars today, but boy my learning curve is getting stressed as I have to learn new behaviors. I also now find myself checking my phone to see if the car shows as locked and in the same place I parked it....:)

I had an situation where I parked in a parking lot and as I walked away I placed the fob in my pocket. My car auto locks, so I wasn't concerned about clicking the fob to lock the car. When I returned to the car about 1/2 hour later I discovered one of the falcon wing doors was wide open. I apparently activated the door as I placed the fob in my pocket, and because I assumed the car would be locking itself as I walked away I didnt bother to even look back. What a shock, and fortunately, nobody messed with the car while I was away. Im just glad I wasn't going for the day.

I now have changed my process, and I always click the fob to lock the car before walking away, and look back. Im totally impressed with all the technological advancements on cars today, but boy my learning curve is getting stressed as I have to learn new behaviors. I also now find myself checking my phone to see if the car shows as locked and in the same place I parked it....:)

You are correct Kurt, in my "early" days, I somehow left the doors open on my X for nearly 30 mins while in a grocery store. I was shocked to return and find the car open and "on". It's not so much that the doors are open, but when that is the case, the X may be drive-able. I will have to test that one day.