Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo Charging, options for secured equipment and charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

First apologies if this has been asked a million times. I couldn't find anything about

New to MYP and am exploring charging options at my condo.

Situation:
  • Have deeded parking spot, it is a not-so-private outdoor spot.
  • Condo allows for EVSE installation but owners are to submit plans for approval.
  • Electric must be hooked up to owner's electric meter/panel
  • Parking spot is not in wifi range
My wish list:
  • EVSE (EV Supply Equipment) that is secure from theft (both unit and cable)
  • EVSE that is secure from freeloaders just plugging in their EV
  • Preference is a hard-wired EVSE. A regular NEMA socket might entice free loaders to plug in with their mobile charging unit.
If anyone can help out with options, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector, designed to be hard wired to any 120V or 240V circuit from 15A up to 60A. Can be programmed to only enable charging for specific Tesla VINs. Rated for use in all weather conditions. No need for continuous Wi-Fi. Wall Connector has local Wi-Fi for configuration, setup and only connects to your home's Wi-Fi for updates (else you can use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot to snag an update.) The Wall Connector can be vandalized (glass faceplate on Wall Connector but so can the Tesla vehicle.)

Runner up, a Level 2 EVSE with the cost subsidized by your power utility (many have charging connectors that can be locked with small padlock.)

Last edited:
Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector, designed to be hard wired to any 120V or 240V circuit from 15A up to 60A. Can be programmed to only enable charging for specific Tesla VINs. Rated for use in all weather conditions. No need for continuous Wi-Fi. Wall Connector has local Wi-Fi for configuration, setup and only connects to your home's Wi-Fi for updates (else you can use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot to snag an update.) The Wall Connector can be vandalized (glass faceplate on Wall Connector but so can the Tesla vehicle.)

Runner up, a Level 2 EVSE subsidized b your power utility (many have charging connectors that can be locked with small padlock.)

Oh duh! Of course Tesla has thought about this. I did not know Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector had Access Control. Thanks!

Oh duh! Of course Tesla has thought about this. I did not know Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector had Access Control. Thanks!
If you had access to continuous home Wi-Fi then you could take advantage of automatic load balancing where multiple Gen 3 Wall Connectors can share a single charging circuit using Wi-Fi to communicate. (Up to 6 Gen 3 Wall Connectors.)

@jcanoe are you sure that you can specify particular VINs, or is it just 'only tesla vehicles may charge at this station'. I know the latter exists.

What does Charging Access Control do?

The Charging Access Control feature gives you full control over which cars are allowed to charge with your Wall Connector. You have three options to choose from:
  • 'All Vehicles'
  • 'Only Tesla'
  • 'Authorized Teslas Only'

To get wifi in your parking spot, especially if it's too far for traditional wifi, is pretty easy if you have to wire up the charger to your own panel. If you have to hookup the charger to your meter panel, have them also install a NEMA 5-15 socket next to your charger... Then you can use a Powerline/Ethernet bridge, with a built in WiFi AP. The bridge will work, even if it's out of phase with your other bridge device, it will just be slower... Optimally you can have it on the same phase, then you'll get maximum throughput. I used to do this to get wifi in the garage before I switched to Mesh, as the garage plugs were out of phase with the utility closet where I had my router.

If your parking spot is covered, you could probably install one of the RV pedestal things, with a NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15, with a locking cover. Otherwise, I'd just mount a 5-15 inside a lockbox next to your wall connector.

• Helpful
Reactions: gfunkdave