Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo charging station insurance in personal spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been working 2 years to get a charging station installed in my deeded parking spot. I finally have the final docs and the condos attorney wants me to get general liability insurance for the station.

Is this possible? Does my standard auto policy cover if something happened while charging?

Are there any statistics regarding fires while charging that I can share with them?

Thanks!

Reactions: NormVA
I believe it is to protect the building in case the car catches fire while charging. (what are the odds of this?)

FYI below is the language:

Throughout the term hereof, Licensee shall obtain and maintain general liability insurance coverage that includes the Licensed Area. Such insurance coverage shall also contain such casualty insurance as is commonly carried by residential condominium owners under an appropriate general liability policy, and shall be in such amounts as are reasonably acceptable to Licensor. The policy(ies) shall name Licensor and its Unit Owners, Licensor’s Board of Managers, Licensor’s managing agent, and any other parties reasonably designated by Licensor, as additional insureds. Licensee shall, within ten (10) business days of the execution of this License Agreement, deliver to Licensor a Certificate of Insurance for the above coverage, in form and substance, reasonably satisfactory to Licensor. If requested, Licensee shall provide Licensor with a copy of the applicable insurance policy(ies). All of the insurance policy(ies) required hereunder shall provide that they may not be terminated or modified until at least thirty (30) days after written notice to Licensor. All of the insurance required hereunder: (a) shall be provided by companies licensed to do business in the State of New York; (b) shall be provided by companies having a Best’s rating of at least “A-X” (or equivalent); and (iii) shall be maintained on an occurrence (as opposed to claims made) basis, without any “sunset” clauses or similar provisions.

If at any time during the term hereof, Licensor’s insurance premiums are increased as a result of this License Agreement or by virtue of Licensee’s use of the Licensed Area, Licensee shall pay to Licensor, upon demand, a sum equal to the increase in such insurance premiums.

Your auto policy wouldn't cover this, your homeowner's policy might, or it might need a rider or a separate policy. You'll need to talk to your homeowner's insurance company to figure that out. You also need to understand that it specifically states that you would be solely responsible for any increase in the HOA insurance policy that is based on the existence of that charger if such an increase were to occur.

ETA: As you stated in the OP, this is for general liability, which I would expect the HOA to already require and you to already have as a condo owner. It probably comes down to whether or not your homeowner's policy covers your deeded parking spot, but ultimately you'll need proof that satisfies the HOA lawyer regardless.

I believe it is to protect the building in case the car catches fire while charging. (what are the odds of this?)

Throughout the term hereof, Licensee shall obtain and maintain general liability insurance coverage that includes the Licensed Area. Such insurance coverage shall also contain such casualty insurance as is commonly carried by residential condominium owners under an appropriate general liability policy, and shall be in such amounts as are reasonably acceptable to Licensor. The policy(ies) shall name Licensor and its Unit Owners, Licensor’s Board of Managers, Licensor’s managing agent, and any other parties reasonably designated by Licensor, as additional insureds. Licensee shall, within ten (10) business days of the execution of this License Agreement, deliver to Licensor a Certificate of Insurance for the above coverage, in form and substance, reasonably satisfactory to Licensor. If requested, Licensee shall provide Licensor with a copy of the applicable insurance policy(ies). All of the insurance policy(ies) required hereunder shall provide that they may not be terminated or modified until at least thirty (30) days after written notice to Licensor. All of the insurance required hereunder: (a) shall be provided by companies licensed to do business in the State of New York; (b) shall be provided by companies having a Best’s rating of at least “A-X” (or equivalent); and (iii) shall be maintained on an occurrence (as opposed to claims made) basis, without any “sunset” clauses or similar provisions.

If at any time during the term hereof, Licensor’s insurance premiums are increased as a result of this License Agreement or by virtue of Licensee’s use of the Licensed Area, Licensee shall pay to Licensor, upon demand, a sum equal to the increase in such insurance premiums.
I would believe that your standard homeowners may cover this. You may want to check with your agent to verify that it includes parking structure, and add coverage if not existing. I don't think that anything needs to be said about EV charging, it's just an electrical outlet in the garage.

Shouldn't be a big issues, and honestly, they probably have a copy that is valid anyway, they are just covering bases.

I would believe that your standard homeowners may cover this. You may want to check with your agent to verify that it includes parking structure, and add coverage if not existing. I don't think that anything needs to be said about EV charging, it's just an electrical outlet in the garage.

Shouldn't be a big issues, and honestly, they probably have a copy that is valid anyway, they are just covering bases.

I checked with my condo policy provider. Most condo policies are "walls in" so it does not cover my parking lot. Not sure where to find a separate policy.

I've been working 2 years to get a charging station installed in my deeded parking spot.
I finally have the final docs and the condos attorney wants me to get general liability insurance for the station.
Is this possible? Does my standard auto policy cover if something happened while charging?
Are there any statistics regarding fires while charging that I can share with them?
Thanks!

I also previously noticed in few articles about the requirement of getting a $1 million EV insurrance:
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations for California Landlords - Kimball Tirey & St. John LLP
Drive Clean | Plug-in Electric Vehicle Resource Center

I would be interested finding where to find such insurance and how much it would cost.

It is general liability against hazards that covers the association. This is all hazard of which Fire is only one of them. If it rained and someone got shocked, charger shorted out building wiring, etc.

I checked with my condo policy provider. Most condo policies are "walls in" so it does not cover my parking lot. Not sure where to find a separate policy.
I am in the same situation as you.

Have been working on the same issues as you for two years as well, in Broward County, FL. Currently providing my Association a large number of expensive documents, including electrical drawings. All under the new law which allows me to install a charger in my deeded parking spot: FS 718.113 (8)

As for the insurance, my condo insurance with Universal Property and Casualty also covers the common area deeded parking spot but not according to the requirements of the law specifically:

4. Provide a certificate of insurance naming the association as an additional insured on the owner’s insurance policy for any claim related to the installation, maintenance, or use of the electric vehicle charging station within 14 days after receiving the association’s approval to install such charging station.
5. Reimburse the association for the actual cost of any increased insurance premium amount attributable to the electric vehicle charging station within 14 days after receiving the association’s insurance premium invoice.
The insurance company has declined to provide an additional rider for 4.

So I am currently looking for a separate insurance policy .

Any feedback on this situation is appreciated.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dogldogl