Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo Charging........ What should I do. Move?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a condo in arlington virginia called the continental at ballston. Here is my cost for 170ft tesla wall connector charger fee breakdown.

$7,050 charger and its installation
(Install 1 80amp 2phase sub-panel.
Install 1 100amp 2 phase Kwh sub-meter.
Install Tesla wall connector 3rd Generation White.
Install 1 80amp 2 pole circuit breaker.
Install dedicated 60amp 240v circuit aprox 170ft .
Install metal conduit aprox. 170ft.
Electrical permit included.)

$700 Virginia Arlington county permit
$400-500 1 million dollar insurrance per year
$1,500 one-time application fee
$1,000 refundable deposit fee
$3,500 electrical load capacity study
$2,500 engineering design drawing set
$16,750 Total

what should I do? Should I move? I have contact a lawyer. Virginia has right to charge law(basically says that HOA or anyone can not prohibit you from install ev charging station at your own parking spot). But that makes this even more difficult. They allow you to install the charger, it's just you need to spend a half of price of new model 3 to do it. I really want to move. I am tired of this condo living.

Its that simple....move. Its clear they don't want you charging.

You just wrote at the end that you want to and you are tired of condo living.

On the topic of the quote, it looks like there's an extra 80 amp breaker and subpanel in there. I don't think there's any reason you couldn't put a meter between a 60 amp breaker and its load. Its strange for sure, but saves you a subpanel and breaker.

Reactions: Baymax123
home charging is much more convenient than supercharging, not to mention, the supercharging you said is a 72kw supercharger which charge extremely slow. BTW always charging at supercharger is not recommended and will somehow demage your battery.

@EVRider-FL has 2 teslas so is pretty familiar with charging curves, supercharging, etc. Supercharging all the time wont make your battery explode. home charging is one of the big benefits to driving an EV, but if you cant, you cant.

As for recommendations, I would supercharge until I could sell and move. Its a sellers market (I know someone here who got 30+ offers on their condo).

Reactions: PushinT
home charging is much more convenient than supercharging, not to mention, the supercharging you said is a 72kw supercharger which charge extremely slow. BTW always charging at supercharger is not recommended and will somehow demage your battery.

"Extremely slow" is like 150 miles charge in about 30 min. Depends on how much your drive, it is not going to hurt your battery if you supercharge once or twice a week. Now if you are doing 100 miles a day, then you should move closer to your work!

@EVRider-FL has 2 teslas so is pretty familiar with charging curves, supercharging, etc. Supercharging all the time wont make your battery explode. home charging is one of the big benefits to driving an EV, but if you cant, you cant.

As for recommendations, I would supercharge until I could sell and move. Its a sellers market (I know someone here who got 30+ offers on their condo).
yes home charging is one of the biggest benefits for driving EV. I will just supercharge until I sell either tesla or my condo. Likely condo, I love my tesla

"Extremely slow" is like 150 miles charge in about 30 min. Depends on how much your drive, it is not going to hurt your battery if you supercharge once or twice a week. Now if you are doing 100 miles a day, then you should move closer to your work!
Imagine, you are really tried, and you just need to seat in the car for about a hour and can not go home just because of charging. Gas car can fill up within 5mins. Home charging is a must have for ev. Time and convenience is what I am talking about.

Yeah, that Right to Charge Law is filled with the phrase "reasonable restrictions" without defining it. It would be difficult to make it more lenient on Condo/Townhome associations specifically because those scenarios can add a lot of complexity a lot of times in installation that involve community maintained property.

I hate condo's and Townhomes personally so I would say move to a single family home. There's a catch 22 to the "it's a sellers market"..yea it's a sellers market which is great for you selling, but not great for you buying! haha. Lots of homes in Northern VA are selling with NO contingencies right now which is VERY dangerous for buyers. In the $500k-$600k range also, they are going for $50-$80k over asking, which is just crazy! The home inspector for my mother in law say he had done a few post buy inspections and found MAJOR issues, so just be careful.

I'm not going to say that moving isn't a good idea, but i also think you need some more quotes; both on the install and on the insurance. They both seem a little high. On the install, there are often ways to make the install a little less painful like doing a lower amperage or using a DCC-9/10/12 to avoid upgrading panels or to shorten electrical runs. Also look into trading parking spaces with someone to shorten the install distance.

I've owned Tesla's since 2012 and for the last 4 years haven't had a charger at home. Hasn't been an issue for me and my battery degradation is perfect and without issues. I have both AC and DC charging available within a 5-10 minute walk from home, and I also keep an Evolve Carbon GT Electric skateboard in the trunk to explore or go home while charging. At first I thought it would be a royal pain in the butt however it hasn't been that big of a deal. If I didn't have charging options close to home it would be a different story though. In that case I would move for sure.

I was in your situation but I didn't even have the luxury of throwing money at the problem. I had a townhome with a 60a panel in a very unhelpful location, and no electrician would even bid the job to upgrade with new line to the meter box, trenching, architectural plans, approval of said plans by HOA, permit pulling, working with the local electric company, etc. So, although I was ready to sink some money in I couldn't get any electricians to even bid, and this is after talking to 11 electricians, a few of them more than once. They came out, assessed, took pictures....but this was just a perfect storm of bad panel placement and no room on the panel anyway. And, we are a two-Tesla household (no ICE vehicles). So, we needed charging even with Work-From-Home. The place served us well until the EV bug hit about 15 years after we bought it. However, there was no way I wanted to be stuck with trickle-charging forever while being slowly priced out of the market in more areas (low inventory, rising interest rates, rising home prices, etc.).

I had provisional HOA consent in a right-to-charge state (California). The laws were there, but the electricians were not. I moved.

Let me sing you the song of my people in this thread;

Last edited: