TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

condo electrical room, breakers, submeters oh my.

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by kmngq, Sep 20, 2017.

1. kmngq

kmngq Member

So I live in a ~25 unit condo.

The building manager took me to the electrical room and showed me. I took some quick pictures, which came out blurry. but here it is.

20170919_151558.jpg

One of meters is to my unit. On the other side of this wall that the entire panel is on, as my luck would have it, is my parking spot. Drilling and running conduit to my spot is out of the question for me. If its going to take that much moneyto do this, im not going to install an EV charger. Im just going to sign up for a evgo dc charging membership.

However, I came up with the thought that if a licensed electrician were to pull power from my unit and install a 14-50 outlet right underneath these panels, and run about a 20 foot extension cable to my spot, would it work??

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Extension cables are not code and would not be allowed by your condo association.

You have a house panel with breakers in the middle of your picture (HP-1). Perhaps they would allow a pay for use 'chargepoint' or other device to the parking lot from that panel for all to use.

3. kmngq

kmngq Member

thanks for your response. yea i figured extension cables arent up to code. some of the conduits do go to the garage. maybe theres some extra room in one of them where i can get an 14-50 outlet in the garage.

4. miimura

miimura Active Member

Drilling a hole through one concrete wall for a conduit to a single charging station or 14-50 socket on the other side of the wall does not sound at all unreasonable in cost. There is space for a single breaker box to be mounted directly below a column of meters. To me, this is actually not bad for a common area install. The cost would be less than for me to add a 50 amp circuit to the garage at my single family home.

• Helpful x 2
  5. joefee

joefee 2M+ page views on TMC Threads

This can be done with a sub meter for $750 - $1700 if your spot is not too far from the electrical room.

6. Frank MS60

Frank MS60 New Member

Would your Condo Association be interested in installing outlets for every condo/parking space? Maybe include a Tesla compact Supercharger? It's the coming thing.

7. joefee

joefee 2M+ page views on TMC Threads

In CA it's the law SB880 ... HOA's have to provide access/EV owners have to pay reasonable costs.

8. miimura

miimura Active Member

In case I wasn't clear here, I'm proposing that you tap into your existing meter, even in the middle of that array of meters, and install a small box with a single 240V breaker, adjacent to the array of meters, then take the conduit to your parking space.

As mentioned above, it would be better if there was capacity on the HOA Common Area meter to provide the ability to power several different parking spaces with their own EVSEs and establish a reimbursement system through the association. That up-front effort will make everyone's life easier in the long run. If you can get even 1 or 2 other association members to share the up-front cost to establish that kind of scheme, it will be better in the long run.

9. kmngq

kmngq Member

thanks for the replies guys. so our garage is pretty crammed. we have stacker lifts for our cars. And those take up a lot of juice. I dont think theres enough power in the middle panel breakers to support another 40 or 50amp breaker.

chargepoint, might be an idea, but its so crammed that i dont know if there is room to put a charging box in our garage.

im gonna do a walk thru and brainstorm with an hoa board member sometime next week. ill let you guys know what happens.

10. Nda721

Nda721 Member

There is obviously enough power... remember your lifts aren't moving consistently right?

11. DrivingRockies

Beautiful conduit work.

12. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a photo of the stackers!

If you set your charging a low amperage and off hours you could probably use the feed for the stackers.

• Like x 2