Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo EV charger installed - Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I moved to a condo 6 months ago and since I was planning to buy a Tesla Model 3, I started the process through my condo board to request the installation of an EV charger at my dedicated parking spot. After almost 5 months since I started the request, I finally got the charger installed today. Super happy I can finally charge at home. It's not the easiest process to go through but in the end it was worth it. If you're thinking of requesting one in your condo feel free to ask any questions about my process. The good thing in Ontario is that the law was changed in May 2018 which makes it nearly impossible to be rejected for the request unless it poses a safety risk or the building infrastructure isn't capable of supporting it.

Attachments

• IMG_20191127_173450.jpg
    IMG_20191127_173450.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 1,149
I moved to a condo 6 months ago and since I was planning to buy a Tesla Model 3, I started the process through my condo board to request the installation of an EV charger at my dedicated parking spot. After almost 5 months since I started the request, I finally got the charger installed today. Super happy I can finally charge at home. It's not the easiest process to go through but in the end it was worth it. If you're thinking of requesting one in your condo feel free to ask any questions about my process. The good thing in Ontario is that the law was changed in May 2018 which makes it nearly impossible to be rejected for the request unless it poses a safety risk or the building infrastructure isn't capable of supporting it.
Congrats. I've seen stories of people who also for this but end up getting outrageous costs. How much did yours cost? Asking because I have a friend that would likely go EV if they could get a cost effective charging solution to their parking space.

Omg. This is amazing.
I currently live in one of the Condos at Cityplace in Toronto. 1 other person has installed a charger for their Tesla but weirdly they use a different setup.

my main questions is cost. I was quoted upwards of 6K to have everything wired up and set but these were estimates.

other info is how does your building handle the billing. Do you pay a flat fee? Do you have a sub meter. What’s that look like?

thanks for sharing.

Congrats. I've seen stories of people who also for this but end up getting outrageous costs. How much did yours cost? Asking because I have a friend that would likely go EV if they could get a cost effective charging solution to their parking space.

My charger installation cost was $3850 (including permit and inspection) since they had to run about 100 feet of wiring and conduit from the electrical room plus the cost of the charger which I had purchased on my own. Although it seems high I look at it as an investment as I should be able to recoup the costs with the increased value of the parking spot when I sell one day since it's the only spot with this amenity in the building.

Last edited:
Omg. This is amazing.
I currently live in one of the Condos at Cityplace in Toronto. 1 other person has installed a charger for their Tesla but weirdly they use a different setup.

my main questions is cost. I was quoted upwards of 6K to have everything wired up and set but these were estimates.

other info is how does your building handle the billing. Do you pay a flat fee? Do you have a sub meter. What’s that look like?

thanks for sharing.

What sort of setup does the other person have?

For costs, see my previous post. For now billing is done at a flat rate of $100 per month which they will re-evaluate after 3 months to determine what my actual usage is. The install included a 'digital check meter' to log my usage which is installed in the electrical room. Unfortunately the install was done while I was at work so I don't have pictures of what that meter looks like. I expect my actual usage to be much less than $100 per month and it will be adjusted to reflect that.

Reactions: Akikiki
The person in my building owns a model X but they use a J-1772 ChargePoint charger. When I look at the setup near the ceiling they also have what looks like a modem or something that transmits Data. I wonder if they have this set up to avoid anyone coming over and plugging in. I know some ChargePoint terminals need authentication and maybe this person just wanted security on their port.

I was just happy to see a standard Tesla charger in your set up.

Did the process go through CrossBridge Condo services? If not did who did the install?

Were you able to get quotes from multiple providers or did you have to go with the Condo board’s preferred vendor?

Congrats on your install! 100 ft is not too bad as far as distances go, and the distance is the main driver of installation cost.

How many amps were you able to get?

@Stakis, the price you were quoted may be reasonable depending on the distance and how many levels down you are from the electrical room. My install downtown Toronto was also around $6K.

Did the process go through CrossBridge Condo services? If not did who did the install?

Were you able to get quotes from multiple providers or did you have to go with the Condo board’s preferred vendor?

CrossBridge is the property management company we use and they coordinated the process with the condo board and contractors. Although I got my own quotes from other companies (most quoted higher amounts), the install was performed by the condo preferred company which was Signature Electric. They seem to have a lot of experience with condo charger installations and have a YouTube channel where they post previous installations.

• Informative
Reactions: noicepls
Just my humble opinion, but I feel that it is always better for the condo board to institute a comprehensive Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Plan. Having owners one-off installations will severely restrict the ability for others to install a EV charger in the future. A plan will specify the amperage that each charger can use (24 amp, 30 amp breaker is more than enough, this gives about 32km/hr charging). Also the gov'ts ZEVIP program will pay 50% of the total cost! Electrical contractors will sell you their system that includes meter reading etc which is both complicated and expensive. Just for comparison, we installed 2 panels each with the availability to feed 21 chargers (42 in total) with a load sharing and usage reporting panel. We had 14 chargers installed even though we only had 2 ev's at the time. That was a year ago, since then we have had 2 more installs and have 5 ev's total. Most of the others did the install because the price was great, or because they are planning to get an EV in the future, or to increase the value of their condo. The installs, including the infrastructure was done with zero cost to owners not participating, or those that did not have a parking spot. The hydro is billed back to the EV owner with zero markup every 3 months. My bill for the last 12 months came to $246. The cost of the installs including all costs, ESA inspections, share of the infrastructure cost and all taxes was between $2902 and $3405.

Full disclosure, I am on my buildings board of directors. I have installed a charger in my last 3 condos over the last 9 years. I also now consult with board of directors specifically with regard to Electrical Vehicle Infrastructure planning.

Thanks for the writeup. I'm the first to request a charger at my condo. Our board asked me to find examples to shape our request process: forms, procedures, agreements. Do you think your building would be willing to share those?

Due to privacy laws I would doubt that they would share that. It's not complex, just need to submit your request and have someone draw up the proposed installation plans.

Please, lets make a generic one. I can share the process I proposed for my condo. Perhaps we could also list some common objections and counter arguments. A neighboring condo used my write up on "why the fire 'risk' is BS" to cool down some trolls.

Last month I was asked to get "more process examples." So I've started a thread here Condo EVSE (ie. chargers at 'multi-family' buildings) Support Thread

Not sure what to do enable private messages to my account here to keep proprietary stuff hidden until it's generic.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I would love to see the results of this. The townhouse complex I live in (Vancouver BC) has our AGM coming up in a few months and one of the things a few of us want to talk about is getting charging stations installed for residents.

I will be the only EV owner currently, but there are a few others who want an EV just don't feel comfortable without the ability to charge at home.

One useful resource is Condo Charging – Plug'n Drive if you haven’t seen it already. The PDF linked there has good information targeted at condo boards.
As for requesting, I also just wrote a letter to the board and enclosed a detailed proposal from the electrician I chose, including a plan drawing of where exactly installation would take place. It also alleviated concerns with concrete drilling that would require an X-ray survey (that last item is more specific to underground garages).

The ZEVIP program mentioned above looks really interesting. It did not exist when I did my install but I would certainly try to use it now.