Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo EV charger installed - Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Infinitiguy: Thanks, and I totally get that Associations feel uncomfortable sharing. I've put my proposed process here: Condo EVSE (ie. chargers at 'multi-family' buildings) Support Thread If you can, I'd appreciate if you can say if I've covered your building's steps, or if I have missed something.

regner: Don't wait! Float the idea and benefits of EVSE to at least some neighbors before the meeting. Agenda's are usually fixed in advance, and people need time to absorb/process new info. I waited WAY to long to ask neighbors to show support at our meetings.

My charger installation cost was $3850 (including permit and inspection) since they had to run about 100 feet of wiring and conduit from the electrical room plus the cost of the charger which I had purchased on my own. Although it seems high I look at it as an investment as I should be able to recoup the costs with the increased value of the parking spot when I sell one day since it's the only spot with this amenity in the building.
Hey. I know it’s been some time here but I’m a few weeks away from getting an install and got some numbers. One thing I wanted to know about your install was if your condo management asked for a legal fee? Did you submit through to Ontario Condo section 98? Any details would be appreciated.

I engaged my condo property manager roughtly 2-3 months ago and was only recently been made aware that there was not enough "interest" from residents of my condo to invest in shared charging infrastructure after they sent out a survey.

My next step has been to ask for a charging unit to be installed in my spot and I will shoulder the installation costs. Did you face any other roadblocks from the Condo board to get approval to install the charge unit?

Reactions: menaknow
Our condo here in Vancouver has common common charger. They took 2 visitor space and made it a dedicated charging spot. They are currently doing a building assessment if the building can handle personal charger to all the owners.

I like to get a personal charger to keep vehicle fully (80%) charged because I like keep sentry mode on and leave fully charged.

My question is, anybody of a charger that allows me to lock either with physical lock or preferred access code? There are several Teslas in the garage, one just two spaces away, I don't want anybody sneaking a charge while I'm away.

Looks like my condo will finally be allowing the installation of chargers at our designated spots. Still not clear on all the details, but they are going through legal now.

What I've managed to find out is that they will have preferred vendor for installation, but we can purchase our own charger as long as it is compatible. Compatible, I believe means with vendor they are using to monitor and charge us for electricity we've used.

For reference the condo building is about 15 years old and they've spent last year upgrading their electrical systems to support up to 30?? EV chargers.

I moved to a condo 6 months ago and since I was planning to buy a Tesla Model 3, I started the process through my condo board to request the installation of an EV charger at my dedicated parking spot. After almost 5 months since I started the request, I finally got the charger installed today. Super happy I can finally charge at home. It's not the easiest process to go through but in the end it was worth it. If you're thinking of requesting one in your condo feel free to ask any questions about my process. The good thing in Ontario is that the law was changed in May 2018 which makes it nearly impossible to be rejected for the request unless it poses a safety risk or the building infrastructure isn't capable of supporting it.
I had a question for you about the installation of your EV charger. I live in a condo in Toronto as well, and I’m currently going through the installation process with my condo board. I’ve been told the on-site electrician will be doing the work; however from my research I’ve learned that the condo-provided electrician will quote a crazy amount. As a condo owner, do I have the right to bring in my own electrician?

I had a question for you about the installation of your EV charger. I live in a condo in Toronto as well, and I’m currently going through the installation process with my condo board. I’ve been told the on-site electrician will be doing the work; however from my research I’ve learned that the condo-provided electrician will quote a crazy amount. As a condo owner, do I have the right to bring in my own electrician?
That would be a question to ask of your condo manager. I believe as long as they are licensed and have the required insurance, you should be able to choose who you want as ultimately you're going to be the one paying for it.

Hey. I know it’s been some time here but I’m a few weeks away from getting an install and got some numbers. One thing I wanted to know about your install was if your condo management asked for a legal fee? Did you submit through to Ontario Condo section 98? Any details would be appreciated.
Sorry for the late late reply. Although initially I wasn't presented with legal fees, I ended up receiving them several months later. Close to $1000 for that piece. In the detailed breakdown, the lawyers charged me for every question I had asked pertaining to certain parts of the contract. If I total up all costs, it's close to $5000 now. The ironic part is that I'll be moving in a few months but at least I got to enjoy the use of the charger while I was here.

Finally recieved more detailed numbers, but still not finalized. Waiting to get quote from electrician to wire my spot to the panel on my parking floor. All these numbers are approximate, but expect to be around $4000ish after tax.

$1000 - for L2 charger that is managed and electricity tracked
$500 - legal fee to update condo title and search part of it
$500 - legel fee for formal agreement with condo corp
$1500-$2000 - actual installation and wiring to panel

Finally recieved more detailed numbers, but still not finalized. Waiting to get quote from electrician to wire my spot to the panel on my parking floor. All these numbers are approximate, but expect to be around $4000ish after tax.

$1000 - for L2 charger that is managed and electricity tracked
$500 - legal fee to update condo title and search part of it
$500 - legel fee for formal agreement with condo corp
$1500-$2000 - actual installation and wiring to panel

Is this just an installation for you or a shared installation with others?

I could not get my previous condo manager on board to even consider it. While legally they can't say no to your request unless there's a safety reason, they don't have to make it easy. My condo required me to invest about $4000 in plans before they would consider it, and told me up front they didn't think the building's power would allow it. So - I could spend thousands to have them come up with a reason to deny me the charger (let alone the cost of the charger and installation). I even tried to convince them to add a 3rd party public charger on the property that might help defray the costs, but they weren't interested in even considering it. I moved instead.

My new building has 2 public SWTCH chargers in the visitor parking area @ $1.50/hour, and I'm satisfied with that (after all, I was paying retail prices before too) - because at least it's in the building and I can go up to my apartment while it's charging.

I've been hassling our board for 2 years now. They MIGHT put in a couple of L2 chargers in the visitor parking area ... maybe.

We eventually decided to go for a M3 Long range because of this. The increased range and charging speed at Superchargers will make our EV transition less traumatic 🤣

I could not get my previous condo manager on board to even consider it. While legally they can't say no to your request unless there's a safety reason, they don't have to make it easy. My condo required me to invest about $4000 in plans before they would consider it, and told me up front they didn't think the building's power would allow it. So - I could spend thousands to have them come up with a reason to deny me the charger (let alone the cost of the charger and installation). I even tried to convince them to add a 3rd party public charger on the property that might help defray the costs, but they weren't interested in even considering it. I moved instead.

My new building has 2 public SWTCH chargers in the visitor parking area @ $1.50/hour, and I'm satisfied with that (after all, I was paying retail prices before too) - because at least it's in the building and I can go up to my apartment while it's charging.
Something to throw back at that kind of block (where they say the building can’t handle it) ask them if they have any clothes dryers on the property. If there is, then they’re bullshitting because it’s virtually that exact circuit.

Something to throw back at that kind of block (where they say the building can’t handle it) ask them if they have any clothes dryers on the property. If there is, then they’re bullshitting because it’s virtually that exact circuit.
Why would I want start an argument with the people who manage my home? Several people have given me answers and suggestions to threaten lawsuits, but I don't want to be in that kind of situation where I'm at odds with the building manager. I was happier to move to a building that was forward-thinking and saw the potential to add EVSEs.

Reactions: Gran
Why would I want start an argument with the people who manage my home? Several people have given me answers and suggestions to threaten lawsuits, but I don't want to be in that kind of situation where I'm at odds with the building manager. I was happier to move to a building that was forward-thinking and saw the potential to add EVSEs.
You’re not arguing, you’re potentially correcting bad information.

Reactions: Gran