Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo Garage - any concern about fires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now for a thoughtful reply.

100% down to your charging solution.
If the car is plugged into the generic cheaply installed 15amp circuit possibly shared with other units then there is some chance of fire if the car over taxes the circuit.

If the charging circuit is dedicated and properly installed the chance of a random fire is going to be roughly the same as an ICE sitting in a garage for months.

I know some of the unhinged sycophants will be offended by that but a rational thinker will realize that of the cases of unattended ICE catching fire in garages most are electrical fires in the 12volt system. BMW has had this problem, some 90s GM full-size cars did too, or rodents chew wires. Well your Tesla has a 12volt system too.

Now the long list of you that want to attack me for the post please post a list of cases of fuel tanks of parked in garages ICE vehicles being the source of fires, again the SOURCE the presence of fuel being the source, not an aggravating factor.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and empowah
Now for a thoughtful reply.

100% down to your charging solution.
If the car is plugged into the generic cheaply installed 15amp circuit possibly shared with other units then there is some chance of fire if the car over taxes the circuit.

If the charging circuit is dedicated and properly installed the chance of a random fire is going to be roughly the same as an ICE sitting in a garage for months.

I know some of the unhinged sycophants will be offended by that but a rational thinker will realize that of the cases of unattended ICE catching fire in garages most are electrical fires in the 12volt system. BMW has had this problem, some 90s GM full-size cars did too, or rodents chew wires. Well your Tesla has a 12volt system too.

Now the long list of you that want to attack me for the post please post a list of cases of fuel tanks of parked in garages ICE vehicles being the source of fires, again the SOURCE the presence of fuel being the source, not an aggravating factor.

I’m more concerned about the reports of the non-charging ones that just seem to combust.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and jboles
The battery in your drone that had a hard landing is a much greater fire risk. The router or any other appliance you leave plugged in drawing a current while you are gone probably carries the same risk of starting a fire in the wiring.
The wiring leading to your car and the outlet it's plugged into are much larger fire risks than the car itself. If you make sure those are up to snuff, I would have no worries while you are gone.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Scott- Obviously you pay a lot of attention to the news. Every Tesla fire is reported in the news, as is every Tesla accident. It's a crazy preoccupation that society has with these cars, partly i think it's driven by the conventional automobile industry to help discredit Tesla. Stop looking so hard, Teslas don't spontaneously combust any more than any other car does. There's nothing real to be concerned about.

• Helpful
Reactions: jboles and GSP
This story is the most expensive ICE caused fire I've read about. It's also highlights an aspect of why OTA updates are important. Not that an OTA could have fixed the problem, but you'd know which vehicles hadn't had recall work done, put up messages in the car, etc.

How One Recalled SUV Destroyed $45 Million In Cars, Burned A Massive Ship, And Sparked A Legal Battle Between Ford And BMW

https://jalopnik.com/how-one-suv-fire-destroyed-45-million-in-cars-damaged-1826086012

To the OP's question and echoing SSedan, I'd be more concerned with the electrical outlet and wiring for a device potentially drawing heavy continuous current. Would you trust an appliance pulling a lot of power unattended in that garage for months? I unplug my Bunn coffee pot and turn off the hot water heater breaker when leaving for long periods of time just in case.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: neroden
I live in a condo with a private garage and I leave for up to 2 months at a time. Is anyone concerned about the model 3 being a fire hazard? Would hate to burn down a 15 unit building when I’m out of town.
No, nobody who's paid attention is concerned about this.

There have been a few Model S and Model X fires, but they're much rarer than gasoline car fires. Most were caused by road debris strikes or by crashes. One by being inside a garage which was on fire. Two by faulty wiring (both happened outdoors, one at a Supercharger and one during a test drive) -- the cause of the faulty wiring was humans not tightening connections properly, and since then all the connections have been robot-tightened. Faulty wiring can happen in a gas car too (dozens of BMWs and Fords have gone up in flames sitting still). There are two Model S fires of unclear history in China, still being researched, which might be arsons.

There have been, IIRC, zero Model 3 fires. (They seem to have made fire safety even better for Model 3.)

Are you worried about burning your building down with a gasoline car in your garage? Because you should be. It's much more likely. BMWs are going up in flames, as noted.

That said, yes, don't overload the circuit you're plugged into. The cord and the car both have failsafes to turn it off, but don't overload the circuit anyway.