TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Condo HOA Charging install with lift

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by kmngq, Jul 31, 2017.

1. kmngq

kmngq Member

I live in a condo where my car is on a lift. something like the one pictured below.
    Do you guys see any issues that may arise while trying to install a charger??
    I'm hoping I just need a long cable for the lift to travel up and down with enough slack.
    my car is currently designated on the bottom lift. so it goes down under ground when the car above me needs access to his level.

d[​IMG]

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

#2 Derek Kessler, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    How much clearance is there around the lift when the car goes down? You'll be snaking a pretty heft cable through there.

3. Graffi

Graffi Member

I recommend placing the unit on the back wall and back in. As long as the cord does not get caught in the lifting hardware or get cut by the top platform when lowered you should be okay.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Make sure that the lift is rated for 5,000 lbs or more!

5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

what if it's 3 AM and I need to go somewhere?! I'm not sure I could handle someone else's car above/below mine. what if it leaks?!

6. I=V/R

I=V/R Member

I park a Tesla on a lift in my garage - been a great solution to fit three cars in a two car garage for several years now. For charging, I suggest you consider a ceiling-mounted cable solution. You should then be able to plug in with the car on the ground, and have the cable sufficiently protected and out of the way when the car is up.

7. miimura

miimura Active Member

I recommend that you run the charging cable through a cable management chain like the one pictured below. That way there will be no way for the cable to get caught in anything as the lift moves up and down.

[​IMG]

8. kmngq

kmngq Member

thanks for all youre responses.

I dont have a tesla right now, but do the charging boxes usually have a button to press? Or is it, just plug it into the car, and it will do everything on its own?
    Im pretty sure theres not enough clearance between the rear wall and the lift for a box to fit. i think the only solution is to put the box above the highest position of the 2nd lift. and feed the cable downwards.

@Derek Kessler - i am not exactly sure, but i will go back and measure how far the lift is from the back wall

@Graffi - I think thats probably the best way. i do need to measure the clearange between the back wall and the lift to see if it the opening is wide enough for the cable to slip thru.

@Lloyd - one of our neighbors has a audi q5 on this thing so i think the m3 will be fine.

@SabrToothSqrl - no leaks yet, and theres no difference between 3am or 3pm. youre just getting your car.

@miimura awesome. id definitely look in to something like that. also, might need something to automatically retract slack cable, as slack can get in the way of the lift.

9. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Not buttons — just plug it in and you're golden.

10. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

If your on the bottom spot, couldn't you install in the underground area and hang the cord on the upright that supports the top?

Specifically, mount the wall unit as high as possible in the basement.

Maybe even use the cable chain to connect cable from wall to lift. I was looking at those at six flags this weekend. They use them on the roller coaster track slides.

11. miimura

miimura Active Member

The beauty of this kind of cable chain is that there is no slack. You zip tie the cable to the chain at each end and then it can move with the lift. There is no relative cable motion between the wall and the stationary end and the car and the moving end.

12. kmngq

kmngq Member

there about a 5" x 5" opening between the platforms. so the cable is safe to travel thru there.

i looked at the power going to the lifts, i cant find where the breakers are, but the power to the lifts are 30a/240v. maybe i can piggy back off one of these lines?

@brkaus i wouldnt be able to do that. when the lift goes all the way down, it would crush the box. theres no clearance for the lift to slide down without hitting a box. thats why the box would need to go above the highest point the platform will travel.

@miimura thats probably exactly what im going to need.

13. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

It was worth a shot. Wasn't sure how the lower level was constructed.

14. miimura

miimura Active Member

Don't do that. Charging needs a dedicated circuit. Period.