Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo/HOA outlets in parking garage (Tampa)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Does anyone live at SkyPoint in Tampa? Thinking about making the move but I want to know if anyone has had a NEMA 14-50 installed at that location (obviously paid for and metered by oneself, not the Condo)

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you TMC for moving this thread to a better location!

Mike, I've got a friend in Sarasota here that is the President of the downtown Condo Association. He is a Ford Fusion Energi owner and is currently working on language for use in condos to install a plug/charger and figure out a way to pay for it appropriately. If you want me to get you in touch with him, shoot me an Email at [email protected] and I'll be happy to get you two together. cs

Mike, I've got a friend in Sarasota here that is the President of the downtown Condo Association. He is a Ford Fusion Energi owner and is currently working on language for use in condos to install a plug/charger and figure out a way to pay for it appropriately. If you want me to get you in touch with him, shoot me an Email at [email protected] and I'll be happy to get you two together. cs
Does your friend have Tallahassee political connections? Not too many of us will be willing to pay the extortionate prices I am paying to get charging in my Condo. Mine is happening, but at truly absurd prices, conditions and time.

Does your friend have Tallahassee political connections? Not too many of us will be willing to pay the extortionate prices I am paying to get charging in my Condo. Mine is happening, but at truly absurd prices, conditions and time.

I don't think so. But, there is a group called Drive Electric Florida (http://www.driveelectricflorida.org) that might have resources for condo associations to consider. Actually, I just checked - there is good information there on how to get started.

But, unfortunately each Condo HOA is going to enforce their own rules. :(

MIKE, there are several chargers throughout Tampa. Particularly, in all public garages such as the museum across the street from you. The HOA at skypoint is a little intense. I would check with them beforehand

I raised the question already for my condo in Miami and got some pretty good input from members of the forum. the main thing is not to let any 3rd party get involved. They will charge you 4 times the price of electricity.

My condo has required me to present them a file to explain the problem and the best solution that I came up with is to pay your self for the installation of a plug at your space and ask the condo to bill you an extra 30$/month for "excessive" use of electricity.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/44684-Tesla-in-a-condo

Chris,

Can you arrange a lunch with your friend. Perhaps the three of us can get together to discuss this in further detail.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think so. But, there is a group called Drive Electric Florida (http://www.driveelectricflorida.org) that might have resources for condo associations to consider. Actually, I just checked - there is good information there on how to get started.

But, unfortunately each Condo HOA is going to enforce their own rules. :(

Chris,

I represent our club on Drive Electric Florida. The issue of infrastructure concerns at Multi-Unit Dwelling is definitely on their radar.

Larry

Chris,

Can you arrange a lunch with your friend. Perhaps the three of us can get together to discuss this in further detail.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Chris,

I represent our club on Drive Electric Florida. The issue of infrastructure concerns at Multi-Unit Dwelling is definitely on their radar.

Larry

Absolutely! This is Patrick Gannon I'm talking about Larry - he helped us organize the last Drive Electric Week Event. We will discuss in detail on Friday next week! cs

I raised the question already for my condo in Miami and got some pretty good input from members of the forum. the main thing is not to let any 3rd party get involved. They will charge you 4 times the price of electricity.

My condo has required me to present them a file to explain the problem and the best solution that I came up with is to pay your self for the installation of a plug at your space and ask the condo to bill you an extra 30$/month for "excessive" use of electricity.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/44684-Tesla-in-a-condo

Depending on how much you drive, $30/month may or may not be fair, and that's assuming you do all of your charging at home. You can get a meter for less than $100. It would be easy to install, especially while you're putting in the outlet. I'm guessing it will pay for itself quickly. You would have to drive about 10,000-12,000 miles per year and do all your charging at home to use up that $30/month. I drive a fraction of that.

I would suggest reading the meter once per year and paying the Association for what you use. The Association can look at the meter anytime they want. The trick is going to be deciding on a rate. Actually, it's not tricky at all, but condo boards aren't known for their math skills. You probably have TOU metering for the common areas of your building. So to get an overall rate, get the condo's power bill (they are required by law to show it to you,) total dollars divided by total kWhrs used gives you your overall kWh rate, including taxes and fees. It will be about 8.5 cents per kWh. You will mostly be charging during off-peak rates so that will be a gain to the Association.

Your Board sounds quite reasonable so far. However, things have a way of changing . . .

.... the main thing is not to let any 3rd party get involved. They will charge you 4 times the price of electricity.

...the best solution that I came up with is to pay your self for the installation of a plug at your space and ask the condo to bill you an extra 30$/month for "excessive" use of electricity.
At $30 per month even the more expensive third parties will be cheaper even without negotiation, and you'll still have to pay for a custom installation.

The options that appeared in my own research as the most practical were:

1. A personal installation that produces utility direct bill together with your unit electricity bill. That is preferred, but in large condominiums and ones that have multi-story parking or non-deeded parking this si frequently impossible. Further the individual installations can be much more expensive than are multi-unit installations. This solution works best with small units, ones that have parking spaces adjacent to the unit and ones that have prior unit direct billed electricity for other purposes, such as docks and outdoor spaces. Those situations apply less frequently in large urban buildings.
2. Convince the Condominium Association to offer charging as an amenity. That is rare, but it has happened especially when dealing direct with a developer. See the threads about the various Condominiums that have offered charging and the one famous one that gave Teslas to buyers. There are communities where this option can work, so if the Board members are enthusiastic and you can get a few owners to push it, this remains a possibility that is great if you can do it.
3. Third parties can be cheaper than other options. In my own case the installation cost with a third party was 1/3 the cost of doing it individually. The energy cost markup in my case, after negotiation, is 26% and my monthly service fee is $15. The payback for doing it individually would have been about 18 years, primarily due to very high installation costs and FPL sub metering installation. Based on my expected energy use I will average about $20 per month total use. In calculating the costs make sure to include actual expected use while at your own station. Many Tesla owners use Superchargers and other free charging sources for the majority of their power, and the home charging is primarily battery maintenance. By all means YMMV. These calculations are quite dependent on individual use patterns.

In my evaluation I was very lucky to have a friend and fellow Tesla owner who has living conditions quite similar to mine, but has two years of history. He shared that with me, resulting in a major reduction in my planned electrify consumption at home.

However, no question about it; if convenience and ease of administration are the biggest issues for you and the Association buys your logic, your solution may be more expensive but it is easier jam almost any other option, especially if you can just increase your unit monthly maintenance bill by $30. After all, time is money!

Finally, in my own case I was also trying to establish a permanent solution that will work for the Association dealing with both commercial and residential owners. Third parties can be pretty good in handling such issues. Until a few months ago there was little competition among multi-unit owner service EV charging. Now there is ChargePoint that has entered the fray, and EverCharge is more amenable to negotiation than they earlier may have been. There also are quite a few others now, most of whom operate in limited geographic areas. Our condominium precedent now will permit one of our major commercial tenants to install EV charging for their customers/employees, which they already do in most of their other facilities.