Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo in GTA - Charger experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one at my condo (Toronto), and I’ve spoken to other people that have gone through the process.

1. Be prepared for it to take six month to a year for installation to be approved, and another two months to six months for installation
2. Be prepared to pay anywhere between $600 (unlike), to $3000 (possible), to $7,000 (likely) depending on the work needed
3. Better to find a condo that’s already wired, or is already EV friendly, and you’ll cut out the issues with 1 and 2.

You might get extremely lucky or unlikely depending on the condo.

Our building was proactive and provisioned our underground parking lot for 12 chargers. They were able to split engineering, electrical, and legal costs 12 ways. Each space is sub-metered. It's a great setup and the only real way to go, in my opinion. Good luck convincing your board, though.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Our building was proactive and provisioned our underground parking lot for 12 chargers. They were able to split engineering, electrical, and legal costs 12 ways. Each space is sub-metered. It's a great setup and the only real way to go, in my opinion. Good luck convincing your board, though.

Convincing the board is not the problem. They have to allow it by law. The problem is convincing the board to allow it at a reasonable cost!

Convincing the board is not the problem. They have to allow it by law. The problem is convincing the board to allow it at a reasonable cost!
That's not what I mean. I mean convincing the board to dive in and provision a dozen spaces at once, to really cut down on the per charger costs. You can absolutely go it alone and install just one charger, by law the condo corp has to allow it. But expect to foot one hell of a bill if you are taking on all one-time expenses of engineering, electrical, and legal just to provision one space.

Reactions: shellderp
Pretty sure times have changed for those who already had EV chargers installed in condos..

As of May 1, 2018: changes to the Ontario Condo Act to make it easier to get EV chargers/240V plugs installed: http://www.lashcondolaw.com/electric-ve ... ay-1-2018/
  • A corporation that wishes to install an EV station will be exempt from section 97 of the Act in two circumstances.
  • The installation of an EV station by an owner can now be exempt from section 98 of the Act.

In addition, there has also been a new product has also been released for houses/condos with limited supply and the inability to upgrade their panel capacity or no space for additional breakers: an intermediate device that monitors the home's entire load and enables the EV charger when the load is low: Solutions allowing for EV Charging Installations in Condos and Homes – DCC