TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Condo owner must pay for meter or unplug electric car

Discussion in 'News' started by Doug_G, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Teslawisher

Teslawisher Member

#21 Teslawisher, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
    What's the max amp draw on the Roadster? How does it compare to other typical household applicances that are routinely connected to a 15A receptacle. Does a Roaster get close to maxing it out on it's own?

Edit: Presuming this is a dedicated circuit, does the Roadster max draw come close to the max safe 12A allowed for a 15A circuit?

2. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Yes. It draws 12/15A on 120V.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

One thing to watch for: the Roadster defaults to 15A; if you're on a 15A circuit you need to drop the current to 12A using the VDS.

4. Teslawisher

Teslawisher Member

Thanks.

Back to main topic... Hoping that moving into the future, condos and apartments will figure out a way to meter and bill for electrics and plug-in hybrids as popularity increases... since they apparently feel they are losing soooo much money the way things are now.

5. zack

zack Member

BTW if anyone's curious about the Kill-A-Watt device that measures kWh allegedly at 15 A, it doesn't. First night I tried it the temp/fuse device melted. I bypassed that and cut vent holes in the device to keep it from heating up, and after a month it melted and nearly fused to the plug. I believe the heat also damaged my GFI plug. They definitely cannot reliably measure at that current level.

6. medved

medved Member

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

8. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

There are at least two layers of tragi-comedy playing out here:
    • The amount of electricity being used to charge the car is smaller than the difference between someone who cooks three meals at home vs. someone who usually goes out (or takes in) for meals, or someone with a huge plasma vs. someone with a small LCD; and
    • I'm sure the owner would be willing to pay the extra $1/day, but there's no need for a $3k revenue-quality meter to establish a fair price for the extra usage. Seriously, this is a case where the extra energy could be determined directly from the car, maybe adding 20% to account for losses. Or just add $50/month to the guy's condo fee. Sheesh.

9. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I pay $50/mo fixed for the same reason. Took a lot of back n forth and my Tesla CA helped a lot by talking to the electrician ... Once you start talking to people like an electrician who understand the numbers it's easier. And finding or creating fans of the car (easier with the roadster) makes it easier cuz then they want to help ...
    Took me about 6 weeks of negotiations with the apartment complex I finally settled on. That said, I got plenty of other "no" responses ....

10. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

This is what seems particularly crazy about this. Either the condo board hates electric cars, or they just hate the owner! The car practically speaking already contains a meter!

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah, and there's no way they need a $3000 meter to resolve this. You can buy a power meter for the one plug, which you can monitor from a PC, for just $300. Several pop right out when you Google it.

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

But few if any of those meters are designed to meter 40A of 240V power running for hours at a time - they'll melt.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I was easily able to find one with suitable rating.

14. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Dealing with Condo Boards can be a pain...some of the greates minds of the 20th century...:wink::biggrin:

15. donauker

donauker Member

100 Amp 240 Volt Watthour Meter with Base $40.98

Available Here

$(KGrHqN,!osE8VhFwgg-BPLdtRksE!~~60_3.JPG

16. njloof

njloof New Member

Someone needs to professionally install that meter, no?

17. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Somebody needs to install that meter and have it pass inspection. Slightly different, but there's certainly room for the 'you know what you're doing' method.

18. njloof

njloof New Member

I thought the whole point was that his condo association didn't trust him. Why would they let him DIY an electric meter?